Is the future of Rendering Game Engines?Using Unreal/Unity as a primary DCC Tool

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2015
Yeah, I do feel as well that people are buying too much into Nvidia powerful PR machine.

04 April 2015
nVIDIA is doing some remarkable things, and they have taken the scientific community much more seriously than AMD did and are reaping the benefits for it, but yeah, not even their CEO claims they have an exclusive on parallelism, and then notions put forward in the post I was addressing are simply incorrect, as is the notion that CPUs are dead. Architectures are only about to become MORE heterogeneous, not less, if anybody wants a good view on it they can look up Herb Sutter's articles who, since "no more free lunch" back in 2008 has been nailing them every three years.

nVIDIA stopped trying to scale the number of shading unit like cores per footprint and is now focusing on the on board versatile unit, removing the bus bottleneck to make GPUs CONTINUE working better and tighter with motherboard hosted components. Intel stopped years ago trying to scale the depth of their pipelines or the clock of their CPUs, and is instead focusing on width, power consumption and more variety on die and close to die.
Those are all more indications of convergence, not of some mis-portraied future where GPUs from four years ago take over the world of computation all enclosed in a workstation under the desk.

04 April 2015
This might be of interest:
Ragnosaur Final Unreal 4 Demo

https://vimeo.com/124148255
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

04 April 2015
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: This might be of interest:
Ragnosaur Final Unreal 4 Demo

https://vimeo.com/124148255

That looks great. It's a shame the Kite Demo won't be available until 4.8 (I think).

04 April 2015
Yes, the Kite demo is supposed to come with 4.8
Though some of the open world assets are now available in the marketplace (for free), trees and rocks and stuff.

04 April 2015
Originally Posted by darthviper107: Yes, the Kite demo is supposed to come with 4.8
Though some of the open world assets are now available in the marketplace (for free), trees and rocks and stuff.

I really need to find this FREE section of the Marketplace.

Seems it is not accessible by FREE UE4 users?

04 April 2015
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Seems it is not accessible by FREE UE4 users?

It's called "Open World Demo Collection". Search in Environments.

magic happens here... sometimes
go nodeway

04 April 2015
Originally Posted by mantragora: It's called "Open World Demo Collection". Search in Environments.

OK... but it's kind of crafty of Epic Games to "bury" these free things in the Marketplace. :P
In particular I've been wanting to get my hands on either the "Kite Boy" or even the "Trooper" or the "Samaritan" character as I want to see how the rigging works in UE4...

04 April 2015
the future of rendering what kind of lighting problem?

Taking into account that complexity follows geometric progression in many complex GI calculus, your shiny CUDA card could end like the inventor of chess in the wheat problem rendering some kind of scenes.

I expect these CUDA cards to perform well with brute force work in heterogeneous lighting conditions, but then this is only one type of scenes we find in our every day work, isn't it?

And good algorithms always beat brute force calculus, algos that can not be always implemented in these highly constricted graphic architectures.

Last edited by Samo : 04 April 2015 at 10:22 AM.

04 April 2015
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: OK... but it's kind of crafty of Epic Games to "bury" these free things in the Marketplace. :P
In particular I've been wanting to get my hands on either the "Kite Boy" or even the "Trooper" or the "Samaritan" character as I want to see how the rigging works in UE4...

It's pretty simple for the most part, they have a number of things on the marketplace, but most of their content is available in the Learn section of the Unreal launcher.

By the way, there's no different types of subscription, subscription is gone so everyone is on a free license and has the same access.

04 April 2015
I find it funny how these threads alternate between "are game engines the future of film rendering?" and "is ray tracing the future of games?", depending on what the favorite demo of the week is.

04 April 2015
UE4 doesn't really have a way to project texture from camera does it? I've been searching for a bit and couldn't find anything useful in this regard.

So for a project where you need to do lots of 3d matte painting UE4 is still not there I suppose? Does CryEngine 3 offer this functionality?

04 April 2015
Originally Posted by stew: I find it funny how these threads alternate between "are game engines the future of film rendering?" and "is ray tracing the future of games?", depending on what the favorite demo of the week is.

There might be the occasional case of "little knowledge worse than no knowledge" here and there, but it's probably pretty hard for somebody who hasn't been at the forefront of either or both rendering and parallel computing in a dev role to have a decent vision of what is really going on.

04 April 2015
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: OK... but it's kind of crafty of Epic Games to "bury" these free things in the Marketplace. :P

No necessarily the same but they do have a matinee fight scene that you can look over that may help in-terms of rigging.

Also the free stuff isn't hidden or "buried" in the marketplace ( they have a huge scrolling splash screen showcasing it actually). This stuff make more sense to have in the marketplace than a file that comes with the Unreal editor anyway. The Unreal editor isn't exactly svelte as it is. I imagine adding more content would balloon the download size significantly. I also think some of the projects are available on github? Either way the barrier to entry is so low as to be non-existent if you want access to the free Unreal projects.

04 April 2015
Yeah, I found the stuff.

I'm trying to figure out how to make sure everything is "additive". Like, Blender has a very good rigging and animation system, while UE4 has the best built-in Deferred Renderer, and the quickest setups for DOF, Blurs, Vignettes, and other optical FX.

Matinee's Cameras are clunky, but much more feature-laden than the Cameras in Blender.
"Cutting in Camera(s)" using the Director Group is also a lot of fun. And it means you can plan animation "by location" (ie: Levels) rather than shot to shot.

For now I want to do some room fly-by stuff and see how that goes.
Then I'll look at the rigging.

I saw somewhere before that UE3 had a "Hair Particle System".... But hadn't seen one demonstrated for UE4? Was that something that changed?

reply share thread