Autodesk & perpetual licenses.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 08 August 2014   #1
Autodesk & perpetual licenses.

The most recent Autodesk “Q2 2015 Results – Earnings Call” had a short, but interesting little discussion about the future of perpetual licenses and a pure rental system.
Quote: Matt Hedberg - RBC Capital Markets
Thanks for taking my questions guys. Congrats on the quarter. Certainly, this year seems to be seeing a benefit from the elimination of upgrades next year. Carl, I'm wondering, when might you eliminate perpetual sales? And maybe more generically, what is the framework for eventually pulling this license option?
Carl Bass - CEO
I'll ask you Matt, what do you think is a good timeframe to do that.
Matt Hedberg - RBC Capital Markets
I would certainly probably depend on the products, but the market generally wants it -- seems to be wanting it sooner than later.
Carl Bass - CEO
We’ve been looking at considering it seriously and we’ll talk again a little bit more about this in October what our plans are. Right now, we have a fair amount of transition going on in the business with the elimination of the upgrades and certainly inspiring people to action. But as we move into next year, we’ll have more to say on that.
(Quoted from seekingalpha.com)

Old 08 August 2014   #2
The market doesn't want it, they're just raising prices enough to where it's too expensive

Old 08 August 2014   #3
I still think that a majority of people still want to own the software. There are various reasons why people don't want to rent the software, one being that they want to be able to continue to access their files but can't if your rental license expires and secondly not all people have the latest versions at home but like the idea they can still use it whenever. My opinion was that Adobe users didn't like it either, as it was forced onto them. I would rather have it on my computer, so I can create whenever I want to.

Old 08 August 2014   #4
Well, this probably is merely an intermediate step towards full "software as a service". Didn't Carl Bass openly fantasize about that a while back?

Old 08 August 2014   #5
I think when they say the 'market wants it' they are referring to the stock market.. not the end users.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 08 August 2014   #6
Originally Posted by Horganovski: I think when they say the 'market wants it' they are referring to the stock market.. not the end users.

Cheers,
Brian

I agree. Also, the "market" not being the consumers, but the providers. All software providers will want this option, so if they all do it, we get to cheerfully evolve along with it.

Old 08 August 2014   #7
Meanwhile software innovation stagnates because they don't 'need' to attract new customers-just keep the ones they think they got.

Old 08 August 2014   #8
Originally Posted by circusboy: Meanwhile software innovation stagnates because they don't 'need' to attract new customers-just keep the ones they think they got.

Work(ed)(s) fine for Microsoft. Vendor lock-in is the appropriate term.

Old 08 August 2014   #9
At the end Bass says that in 3 years he doesn't expect anyone to be running perpetual licenses for desktop software. Pay now and forever is what the investors want.

Old 08 August 2014   #10
At first I was like okay this month to months "renting" autodesk products isn't so bad, I get all the latest software and its not all that expensive. Then I was like oh wait a second, what happens when they fully go to this system and keep increasing the price from 200 a month to 400 a month...

Old 08 August 2014   #11
One aspect of rental licensing is that a company effectively hijacks your assets, as you won't be able to access them anymore, after you stop paying.

Old 08 August 2014   #12
Well, thanks Autodesk. I've been disappointed with 3ds Max's development over the last few years and while I had some excitement for the future, Hirazi put it perfectly. I'm not going to let you hold my assets hostage to perpetual fees.

I have stuck with CS6 and I'll stick with the last perpetual version of Max. I'm sure they'll hold back certain features to tempt me when this happens, but I know how Autodesk's development works. It'll be 2-3 years before any new features are stable enough to use in production and by then, their competition will have better options.

Time to start testing other software for when this happens. Is it really so crazy that consumers wish to own what they purchase?

Old 08 August 2014   #13
This is a very sad development in software licensing. What a horrible thing to deactivate a person's license if they decide to stop paying, preventing them from accessing their work and perhaps personally valuable files. If a person who rents their dwelling decides to move, the landlord doesn't get to put their possessions in storage and charge a fee to access them.

I'm not big on creating new laws, but I wonder if this shouldn't be addressed by the government. It's a question of protecting personal property. Perhaps it could already be challenged on those grounds.

Old 08 August 2014   #14
Originally Posted by EightBit: I'm not big on creating new laws, but I wonder if this shouldn't be addressed by the government. It's a question of protecting personal property. Perhaps it could already be challenged on those grounds.

Nobody is making you use their software and there are alternatives out there with perpetual licensing. Getting the government(s) involved would be a terrible idea.

If a landlord made you sign a contract which would make your stuff inaccessible if you stop paying rent you'd just look for a different place to live, wouldn't you?

Old 08 August 2014   #15
Quote: I'm not big on creating new laws, but I wonder if this shouldn't be addressed by the government. It's a question of protecting personal property. Perhaps it could already be challenged on those grounds.

The companies have right to make their choices.
We have right to punish them with our choices.

If we want freedom we have to respect others freedom.

I have been saying that any mid sized studio should invest in Blender. It is the only safe way to protect own work until a company doesn't commit purposefully to supply perpetual licenses.

reply share thread