After Effect Or Nuke

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 08 August 2014   #1
After Effect Or Nuke

good day everyone , i am looking forward to learn of the 2 composite programs nuke or after effect , but i want to know the difference between 2 because i think the difference is something more than the difference between 3ds max and maya , can after effect do things that nuke can or vice versa ? my primary use will be compositing simple scenes and mostly with characters still pictures & little animation and also for post production .

Old 08 August 2014   #2
vfx, multi-layered .exr's, 3D, tracking, keying = Nuke
motion graphics, editing, design, vector = AE

Technically, you can do the same in both, but that doesn't mean you should.

Old 08 August 2014   #3
Originally Posted by CGPablo: vfx, multi-layered .exr's, 3D, tracking, keying = Nuke
motion graphics, editing, design, vector = AE

Technically, you can do the same in both, but that doesn't mean you should.

How you explain more, like according to my workflow and what I wana use it for as i mentioned what will suit me more, and any tutorials website for nuke thats similar to video copilot for after effect?

Old 08 August 2014   #4
I was looking at the collective suites offered by the foundry ... very enticing. I currently get by on after effects for whatever opportunities are offered in the local market which is on the slim side.

For the whole suite, NukeX, Mari, Modo and Hiero, a sum of about 10K.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

Old 08 August 2014   #5
Originally Posted by PerryDS: I was looking at the collective suites offered by the foundry ... very enticing. I currently get by on after effects for whatever opportunities are offered in the local market which is on the slim side.

For the whole suite, NukeX, Mari, Modo and Hiero, a sum of about 10K.

Good offer but u have the experience of both nyke and after effect!

Old 08 August 2014   #6
Check out the foundry's own site for tutorials to get you started. For what you say you'll use it for I'd go with Nuke. Professional compositing is what Nuke is for. I'd use Nuke both for shot production with live-action as well as full animation and use After Effects for motion graphic type work, as already was mentioned.

If Nuke is too expensive look at Fusion.

Old 08 August 2014   #7
It get's a bit expensive when you collect software, spend a lot of time with it, and seldom find much local work to continue to fund an obsession. I know after effects like it's second nature ... next to breathing ... and use it more regularly as of late. But I also use the full Master Adobe suite, Lightwave 3D, Maya, Painter, Manga Studio Pro EX, zbrush, Maxxon Bodypaint ... but overall I do a lot of web development and print design, because cg just doesn't exist in any great capacity in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada).
www.perryshulakcreative.com

Old 08 August 2014   #8
IMO Nuke is awesome, but unless you're a hardcore compositor who's regularly comping difficult or high-end shots, I'd choose AE for the majority of basic comping tasks if your primary job is being a 3d artist.

Also, the price tag of Nuke is hard to swallow unless you in fact are a full-time compositor in which case you already know you want Nuke for that task.

AE has become fairly robust in the last few years - linear gamma, floating point, and 64-bit support opened a ton of doors for it.

Old 08 August 2014   #9
i think i might go for nuke , i am planning to use mari anyway and it will be more flexible workflow plus i has no desire for motion graphs , thank you all for sharing ur opinions

Old 08 August 2014   #10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OixfClAGvdI

Pretty good comparison.

Old 08 August 2014   #11
Originally Posted by sentry66: IMO Nuke is awesome, but unless you're a hardcore compositor who's regularly comping difficult or high-end shots, I'd choose AE for the majority of basic comping tasks if your primary job is being a 3d artist.

Also, the price tag of Nuke is hard to swallow unless you in fact are a full-time compositor in which case you already know you want Nuke for that task.

AE has become fairly robust in the last few years - linear gamma, floating point, and 64-bit support opened a ton of doors for it.

Agreed, you save me a lot of typing.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 08 August 2014   #12
Kanga : thanks for the link its all i need for comparison

one more question : if i want to do smoke , fire , clouds , sparks , all types of these things using a plugin like chaosgroup phoenix FX can i import it into nuke and composite it with my scene and control it from there ! or does nuke have its own particle system that do all of that ? and if it does is it good enough to use it instead of using a plugin ?

Old 08 August 2014   #13
Sorry if this is an Off Topic...

talking about comparatives and price tag... could be hitfilm a contender* ?
https://hitfilm.com/

* not for hardcore compositor use...

ty

Old 08 August 2014   #14
Originally Posted by eon5: Sorry if this is an Off Topic...

talking about comparatives and price tag... could be hitfilm a contender* ?
https://hitfilm.com/

* not for hardcore compositor use...

ty

Not even close. I purchased HF Ultimate on the premise that it was a suitable AE replacement. I was severely disappointed. It's editor is very basic, and horribly slow. The compositor is decent, but still lacks bread-n-butter features such as animatable points on masks. It also gets quite slow. It's upside are all the eye candy effects it has. Some nice stuff in there (the flares are pretty decent for example). The particle system is pretty good too. The compositing environment is 3D (although the navigation is terrible). I could go on. In short, if you want a compositor, look somewhere else. I was even more disappointed to see the Devs shift from improving HF into developing AE plugins. I guess that says a lot.
If you look the eye candy stuff, their plugins + AE might be a good option.

I'm still waiting for a real alternative to AE (mainly for MG kinda stuff). In the meantime, my good ol' combustion seat still kicks it!

Old 09 September 2014   #15
You could always use Composite, since it's now free.

Not as robust, of course, but free.

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/gary...altime-playback

https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/...posite_linux:en

Runs on Linux also.

reply share thread