"What is Siggraph?" - A video from Vancouver last week

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 08 August 2014   #1
"What is Siggraph?" - A video from Vancouver last week

It always surprised me that there wasn't more press for Siggraph. It has such a large foothold in the industry, and yet when you research it there's barely anything that tells you what it is.

So I made this short video for people that have never been to Siggraph but are thinking about it:

I asked a handful of attendees what they get out of it and why they keep going.

Hopefully it can convince a few of the youngsters out there to make the trip. It's worth it!

Old 08 August 2014   #2
Nice video!
Well done.

Old 08 August 2014   #3
Hey, that's really great. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Old 08 August 2014   #4
Nice video! Wish you had a larger sample of people and been a bit harder on the people about whether it's really worth attending. It probably makes more sense to go for young people starting out and looking to make contacts or have interviews. I last attended well over a decade ago and saw the attendance taper off as more companies turned to the internet to disseminate their tech and marketing info. Back when I attended, new features in 3D/2D were coming fast and furious from all directions. Now we seem to have hit a plateau where advancement comes in much smaller increments, so there's simply less "new & exciting" stuff to see.

While you can't really downplay the value of face-to-face meetings, I wish we could put the days of $300+ conference fees behind us. I realize all such conferences are like this, and often rely on companies footing the bill for their employees, but it seems like an anachronism these days when so much of what is shown is available on the net.

Old 08 August 2014   #5
Well I will vouch for the conference.
Wow it was freaking fantastic, and I saw tech in that conference that was honestly mind blowing. the thing they are doing with Haptic interfaces is something out of a scifi film.
And it ws cool to see old friends.
I really recommend the conference to anyone.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 08 August 2014   #6
Thanks guys! Glad you liked it.

Quote: Wish you had a larger sample of people and been a bit harder on the people about whether it's really worth attending.

Me too. I wish I had allowed more time for interviews. Didn't realize that most people would be turning them down :P I'll try harder next year.

Quote: I really recommend the conference to anyone.

Agreed! It's pretty hard to beat face-to-face conversation. Definitely helps in contacting others for the rest of the year.

Old 08 August 2014   #7
Yea it was a great Siggraph. I couldn't believe how fast it went by.

Old 08 August 2014   #8
Echoing the sentiment here thanks, the interviews clarified some points I was unsure of.

Cheers ;)

Old 08 August 2014   #9
Originally Posted by redbyte:
Me too. I wish I had allowed more time for interviews. Didn't realize that most people would be turning them down :P I'll try harder next year.

Curious why you think people turned down being interviewed. Was it just a time issue, or do you think they didn't want to go "on the record" with any comments that were middling or negative, especially if their company paid for their trip?

I'm not down on Siggraph as an event at all (okay, except for the cost). The cost of attending simply outweighs the benefits for me, at least professionally.

Old 08 August 2014   #10
Originally Posted by Artbot: Curious why you think people turned down being interviewed. Was it just a time issue, or do you think they didn't want to go "on the record" with any comments that were middling or negative, especially if their company paid for their trip?

Camera shy basically, which I can understand.

Getting stopped by a random guy with a microphone who wants to know you'd like to go on camera saying what you thought of Siggraph can be pretty uncomfortable if you're not prepared for it. So most just went wide-eyed and said "ahh no thanks".

So then I started wearing my backpack when asking people. It looked way less formal and got a lot more interviews that way :P

Old 08 August 2014   #11
Coool video.. hope to visit this and CTN someday..

Old 08 August 2014   #12
Originally Posted by redbyte: So then I started wearing my backpack when asking people. It looked way less formal and got a lot more interviews that way :P

Thats a good tip, have to remember that.

Old 08 August 2014   #13
Also I would approach people in advance in the forums.
A lot of us are running from SESSION A to SESSION B or are trying to get in a line.

Agood place to conduct interviews is always the LINE FOR THE PIXAR TEAPOTS.
it lasts at least a SOLID HOUR and people are going nowhere fast.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

reply share thread