Influence of visual effects on public's perception of reality?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 08 August 2014   #16
Not exactly related, but I've occasionally had little thoughts, after playing a lot of ASSASSIN'S CREED, that any normal person should be able to stick a landing from hanging over a ledge more than 15 feet high without injury.

Old 08 August 2014   #17
Originally Posted by Srek: In general we humans are very good in seperating fact from fiction. The suspense of disbelieve we engage in when reading a book or watching a movie is something that we do perceive.
Yes, there are exceptions, but not many.
Personaly i think that it has a lot to do with real life having no script, contrary to the believes of all conspiracy nuts etc.. Scripted reality, be it in TV, books. movies or whatever is something we can spot rather easily. More convincing effects don't change this, i would bet on the reverse if i had to.

true to some degree, but District Attorneys worried about the CSI effect, the things potential jurors saw on the show (special effects) they believed that all the technology is available to the police, which lead to questions: "why isn't the "proof" stronger because I saw them do this on CSI?", "why can't the police do this and that because CSI can?"

Old 08 August 2014   #18
Originally Posted by unclebob: true to some degree, but District Attorneys worried about the CSI effect, the things potential jurors saw on the show (special effects) they believed that all the technology is available to the police, which lead to questions: "why isn't the "proof" stronger because I saw them do this on CSI?", "why can't the police do this and that because CSI can?"

Agreed, given the technological progress we had in the last decades not everyone can and will be able to differentiate what is feasible and what not. Stuff that was SciFi 5-10 years ago is common nowadays. However the influence of this depends on education and how current one is with the state of technology in the field, it is pretty normal human fallibility. Ask me anything specific to agriculture and i'm likely to get it wrong

Old 08 August 2014   #19
Post production in terms of realistically crafted content, from a personal perspective whether cinematic feature length and/or TV miniseries in my opinion are especially evident in military themed productions of the last 10-20yrs, most notably the Spielberg directed/collaborative "SAVING PRIVATE RYAN", "BAND OF BROTHERS", & "THE PACIFIC", plus I would further suggest have indeed educated the viewing audience to an extent, the graphic nature of modern warfare delivered through skilful use of VFX & SFX dynamic environments usually in the first person, subsequently benchmarked high production values the viewer now commonly expects as a matter of course.

Old 08 August 2014   #20
VFX can have a very strong effect on the perception of reality.

Some time ago a vfx student made a youtube clip, where a baby in a park was attacked by an eagle. It got millions of views and people thought it was real. Including me.

A week later, the kid who uploaded that vid, showed how he did it. It was just for fun. But these skills can be used for some very spooky things as well. Which is really scary.

There must be tons of videos on youtube that pose to be realworld recordings, but are actually cg/vfx. It's hard to notice if they are made by pros and they don't reveal a making of.

Old 08 August 2014   #21
Kiki, you should probably do some reading of Jean Baudrillard, philosopher who is writing a lot about the stuff you are mentioning.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperreality

Someone saying VFX didn't influence our perception of reality is being somehow ignorant because if you are constantly bombarded by building collapsing and giant explosions, you are starting to take that as a point of reference and compare all the events that happen in reality to those experiences. This if of course not happening on conscious level, but it has a lot of influence on your subconscious and how your understanding of the "real" is formed.

Old 08 August 2014   #22
And then there are the Apollo moon landing conspiracy theorists who like to tell me that the TV footage beamed back to earth was fake because there are no stars in moon's sky (apparently it was too hard for the studio technicians to rig that many astronomically correct light bulbs). When I tell them you can't photograph stars without special long-exposure photography they want to know how dumb I really am because they've seen stars in the backgrounds of hundreds of Hollywood sci-fi movies and TV shows.

They also tell me (boasting of their grounding in basic science), that there's only one light source on the moon (the sun!) so how come in the shadow of the lunar module you can still see illuminated objects ?!?!. (Dare I explain the phenomenon of reflected light to them? )

Also, they'll point out that when the astronauts plant the flag in the ground that you can clearly discern ripples appearing in the fabric - proof that some dumb technician left the stage doors open and a breeze blew in. Hmmmm... if they don't understand basic photography and the physics of light, what chance would they have with soft-body dynamics?

TC

Last edited by timothyc : 08 August 2014 at 03:05 AM.

reply share thread