Old 08-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
kmrsic
Veteran
portfolio
Kristijan Mrsic
vfx supervisor
Momentum studio
Zagreb, HR

Post Influence of visual effects on public's perception of reality?

I would really love to discuss this idea I had in my mind for long time and get your opinion.

It all started for me only few days after that sad event, September 11, 2001. While trying to grasp that situation I noticed a comment that some people from around the world had as their reaction to first seeing that footage. "At first I thought it was a scene from a movie shoot, it didn't look that real to me".

So, years later I still have this resonating in my mind and I cant stop wondering,
How deep the influence of visual effects on general public's perception of reality actually is?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
I remember seeing the footage of sept 11 at our studio minutes after it happened and I think the bizarro factor has a lot to do with accepting the footage. At the time I thought it looked pretty bloody real but at the same time I thought that it had to be a gag because this couldn't possibly be happening.

The discussion point about our responsibility regarding public perception of historical facts is a really good one. Films are one way of spreading propaganda and they are guilty of misrepresenting the past and reality for no better reason than increasing sales. I think though that the majority of people can separate reality from a ripping yarn.I think we would miss a lot of great plates and stories if there was a ban on lying. I am interested in reading what others think.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

I don't think that visual effects per se have influenced, as you say, the public's perception of reality. I think the kind of disbelief you mention pre-dates visual effects quite considerably; there have always been people inclined towards conspiratorial thinking or suspicion, for example there are still people who believe the 1969 moon landings were faked, and that happened in an era before any kind of reality-blurring visual effects even existed.

I think that we live in an age where various factors have led to an increase in an inclination towards suspicion of facts, but I don't think that visual effects themselves have caused it, they may simply have occasionally served as some kind of support for various theories. But that's really another discussion entirely, and I don't think it'd be suitable for this site due to the politics and social commentary involved. Suffice to say that the advancement of visual effects may be considered as a supporting notion for certain conspiracy theories and such, but I wouldn't say they've "influenced" the general public's perception of reality.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
kmrsic
Veteran
portfolio
Kristijan Mrsic
vfx supervisor
Momentum studio
Zagreb, HR

re

Yes, I agree with what you are saying but still, do kids know that a frying pan can be cleaned in one wipe, that its not a problem to walk on edge of a high building, that you can jump or get hit and still get OK with it....there are endless examples.

I wasn't talking about social implications (as I do agree there would be much to say) more of physical perception of the world that is skewed and twisted by things we do.

For instance I my self on few occasions have seen "bad" keyd clouds! Its one of those really odd lighting situations that if I saw in my comp I would say that's a bad keyd cloud yet there it was up in the sky in full physical reality.

So our own perception as professionals gets twisted, so what about everyday folk?

Old 08-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

In general we humans are very good in seperating fact from fiction. The suspense of disbelieve we engage in when reading a book or watching a movie is something that we do perceive.
Yes, there are exceptions, but not many.
Personaly i think that it has a lot to do with real life having no script, contrary to the believes of all conspiracy nuts etc.. Scripted reality, be it in TV, books. movies or whatever is something we can spot rather easily. More convincing effects don't change this, i would bet on the reverse if i had to.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
LuckyBug
Building worlds

portfolio
Star Lord
DMP Environment Artist
MPC London
London, United%2BKingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrsic
For instance I my self on few occasions have seen "bad" keyd clouds! Its one of those really odd lighting situations that if I saw in my comp I would say that's a bad keyd cloud yet there it was up in the sky in full physical reality.

Come to London, most of the clouds seems fake and overpainted, most of the vfx sup would never allow that for final

Old 08-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
d4rk3lf
Expert

portfolio
Boban Krsmanovic
Nis, Serbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrsic
How deep the influence of visual effects on general public's perception of reality actually is?

You can't be general(istic) on these things. People say everything and anything, and every person have their unique opinion about this matter.

I remember reading comments on the movie Mama, on IMDB, and there were the tons of guys claiming that the main villain (wraith kind of creature) were very poorly animated, and CG is very bad, but the truth is, it's played by an actor.

Btw. I have a question for all of you:
When you search for a reference (for example: car crash), do you avoid real car accidents (with deadly consequences), or you use that as a reference? Same goes for 09/11, when you gather, for example, building collapse?
I, somehow, avoid that, not because I am a superstitious, but because I feel, it's somehow, disrespectful for the victims.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf
Btw. I have a question for all of you:
When you search for a reference (for example: car crash), do you avoid real car accidents (with deadly consequences), or you use that as a reference? Same goes for 09/11, when you gather, for example, building collapse?
I, somehow, avoid that, not because I am a superstitious, but because I feel, it's somehow, disrespectful for the victims.

Thats a pretty good question. Théodore Géricault, who painted the raft of the Medusa had severed limbs in his studio, I think for months, just so he could study the decay of human flesh up close. That was before internet

Old 08-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
d4rk3lf
Expert

portfolio
Boban Krsmanovic
Nis, Serbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga
Thats a pretty good question. Théodore Géricault, who painted the raft of the Medusa had severed limbs in his studio, I think for months, just so he could study the decay of human flesh up close. That was before internet

I remember, from a movie: Moll Flanders, there was also a guy, who is both artist and a scientist, and have limbs all over his place for analyzing, and he clearly metioned that they were parts from donors, who wished to donate their parts to the science, after they die.
Maybe that was also the case with Théodore Géricault?

Anyway, I am not saying that is 100% wrong, I wouldn't have anything against using my limbs for the science, or my accident for a reference. But maybe there are people who will... or their families.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #10
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Netherlands

Well he probably bought those limbs. I get what you are saying. Was just an illustration of how far artists will go for reference.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #11
d4rk3lf
Expert

portfolio
Boban Krsmanovic
Nis, Serbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga
Was just an illustration of how far artists will go for reference.

Let's hope some day artist won't setup real car accidence, just for getting a reference.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #12
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

reminds me of that story about horse footstep and coconut shell.

and many other dangerous stuff that shouldn't be done in real life. I think tvtropes cover both of this, but I forgot the trope name. One of them is "reality is unrealistic".

Old 08-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #13
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf
Let's hope some day artist won't setup real car accidence, just for getting a reference.

actually you can. its called stunt/men/women.

its still called a car accident whether a person was seriously injured or NOT. Sorry for nitpicking :-)

Old 08-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #14
kmrsic
Veteran
portfolio
Kristijan Mrsic
vfx supervisor
Momentum studio
Zagreb, HR

I get this reference thing and there is some point to it but I would like to return to subject question, your opinion on the subject please

Thanks

Old 08-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #15
mjdowswell
Vegetable Pakora Man

portfolio
Michael Dowswell
Independent Filmmaker
Dallas, USA

Yes I think when something major happens....Hindenburg, Pearl Harbour, September 11th....its difficult for everybody to believe....Robin Williams...it's difficult to believe hes dead...

The World Trade Center was such a colossus of a building....I mean that thing was HUGE...and solid....so when it was taken down It was very hard to believe..it happened so fast......it was a iconic building....and it was part of New Yorks iconic skyline...It takes a long time to believe that it's gone...and for you to accept a new skyline....it had been in many, many films too.

It was interesting how reality influenced cinema...Spielberg's War of the Worlds was definitely influenced by September 11th.

There are some realistic car crashes in the film Adaptation.

Last edited by mjdowswell : 08-21-2014 at 05:32 PM.

reply share thread