3 Day Cinematic Challenge! Again!-WINTER Challenge- Post your ideas

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2014
Maybe a stupid question, but are people allowed to use pre made models or everything has to be made for the contest?

08 August 2014
I don't have Saturday off at work. That basically leaves me even less time. I am going to start tonight. Friday will start in about 7 hours here. I shall create a thread titled "3 day cinematic challenge : redcigarette" in the spirit of the old cg challenges. I feel this challenge would be a good idea to test the limits of GPU rendering that I have been doing extensively for my current short. Having Mixamo access is also going to help.

Meanwhile I will think of some idea.

08 August 2014
@Grrrrr
I think anything goes as long as it helps you get from idea to storyboard to product.

Well, I'm inn, but not this weekend.
I probably have to render in the box, that cripples me somewhat,
I guess I have to be creative in that department.

Last edited by Molte : 08 August 2014 at 12:09 PM.

08 August 2014
Originally Posted by Grrrrrrr: Maybe a stupid question, but are people allowed to use pre made models or everything has to be made for the contest?

good question, I am debating about that one.
What do you guys think?
-R
Before you start some basic rules.
  • The challenge will last 3 days (FRIDAY,SATURDAY, SUNDAY).
  • since we are dealing with worldwide timezones, the start of your countdown will be determined when you POST your WIP thread at the FXWARS forum.
  • We will do this Challenge over the course of 3 WEEKENDS,
    so people who missed one have a chance to the other.
  • I will announce TOPIC for EACH weekend on Thursday at Noon US EST
  • Also I will request the following on your Project, A SPECIFIC PROP, A COLOR and A PHRASE (If you have Dialogue).
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 08 August 2014 at 12:14 PM.

08 August 2014
Complete free for all. You can use anything at your disposal.

08 August 2014
Out of fairness everyone should list the major used prefab assets.

08 August 2014
Creating everything from scratch would be silly I guess. We use whatever we can at our disposal and just credit the resources.

08 August 2014
Originally Posted by Srek: Out of fairness everyone should list the major used prefab assets.

I agree.

I'm more in the mindset of creating your vision, and using what you have to assist you,
than creating something out of or based on what you already have.

And I don't really expect anyone else to do this,
but I'll probably go for making the soundtrack myself also.

08 August 2014
Draft Rules
Tell me what you think guys,
If they are kosher I am launching TODAY.

•The challenge will last 3 days (FRIDAY,SATURDAY, SUNDAY).
•Since we are dealing with worldwide timezones, the start of your countdown will be determined when you POST your WIP thread at the FXWARS forum.
• We will do this Challenge over the course of 3 WEEKENDS, so people who missed one have a chance to the other.
• Voting will be done at the END of 3 weekends.
• A person can do more than ONE entry by participating in more than ONE weekend..
• I will announce TOPIC for EACH weekend on Thursday at Noon US EST
•Also I will request the following on your Project, A SPECIFIC PROP, A COLOR and A PHRASE (If you have Dialogue).
• You can use Prefab assets, like SOUNDTRACK, MODELS, CLIP ART, STOCK FOOTAGE can be used BUT THEY NEED TO BE LISTED and if possible give credits to their origins.
(Do yourself a favor do this task AFTER you post your final entry.)
• You get bonus points for doing elements from scratch, so list those too.
• You can do a part of your piece, with LIVE ACTION, MOTION GRAPHICS, ANIMATION, VFX to a Hybrid Entry.
• The duration of the clip should be between 30 Seconds to ONE Minute.
• Team entries are encouraged.
• The artist also has to post total length of time it took and program used.
• WIP are encouraged if they are posted in ANOTHER thread. Please provide a link to them on this thread.
• WIP thread should be posted on the FXWARS Forum forum and should follow the following naming convention: 3 Day Cinematic Challenge!: <<TOPIC >><< Artist NAME OR TEAM NAME>>, <<Entry Name>>
• When hosting on a streaming site, please add to meta Data
"3 Day Cinematic Challenge". "FXWARS", "CGSociety". It will help us finw them in the future.
• It is Recommended that Final movies should be rendered at least 320 x 240 or 640 x 480 or Higher in QuickTime* format (Sorenson Compression), but other resolutions and formats are allowed. * (The animation format is open for discussion.)
• The animation should follow the following naming convention:

MYNAME_FXWARS(RESOLUTION).mov/MP4. And please add your name at the beginning and end of the animation, and if you can, also add a small non disruptive watermark during the animation. If you wish you can add an after credits t oyour piece.
• Collaborative pieces are accepted and encouraged, but Teams entries must have a identifying banner and a name. Shot lists should be included with the entry.
• Individuals participating in a team CAN have their own individual entries.
• Post on this thread your link to your WIP thread and your FINAL piece.
• You can add multiple entries, as long as they have different WIP threads.
• Freelancers CAN participate in more than ONE entry
• All Teams members & Freelancers will get screen credit for in the title cards for participation
• Only participants who follow the rules and submit a final entry will be eligible for the voting process.
• Please try to avoid Trademarked or Copyrighted material.
• The moderators reserve the right to take down any thread.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 08 August 2014 at 12:34 PM.

08 August 2014
Im happy with those!

I think that for the weekends topics we should have a choice of at least 2 topics per sprint - gives us a bit of wiggle room for inspiration!

DAMMIT THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!

08 August 2014
Originally Posted by Pyke: DAMMIT THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!

You are going to fail!
But that's okay, I'll be there as a voice of inspiration every step of the way.

Besides, no one is going to care about your result anyway, once they see my awesome work.

08 August 2014
Originally Posted by Molte: You are going to fail!

Aim high, fail spectacularly!

“Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.”

― Bruce Lee

08 August 2014
Originally Posted by Pyke: I think that for the weekends topics we should have a choice of at least 2 topics per sprint - gives us a bit of wiggle room for inspiration!
[/B]

+1 to that.

Hey Roberto, the rules are perfect. By when can we know the theme? It would be great if we can get an early announcement of theme for the first sprint.

08 August 2014
Any problems with watermarks on Renders? have an idea that would be easiest done in Houdini but haven't quite commited to buying a License of Houdini yet so still using the Free Apprentice version!

08 August 2014
I hear watermarks on the render are the new chromatic aberration!

reply share thread