reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #46
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnfredricks
It has been evolving over several years and also the result of a maturing market space, and it has almost nothing to do with Blender.

A mature market is one where you have one or a few big companies which eat up most of the high end market; those below a certain price point differentiate themselves by a mix of pricing and special features. Often the big companies find they have become their own competitors (either with products around the same price point or vs previous versions).

Consumer / Prosumer tools can still live and thrive, mostly because of price points and very specific kinds of value.

You give products away for free because you want to pull as many new, potential customers into your sales funnel as possible with the least investment. Many free users can be converted later if you can continue to engage them, and/or they invest in your technology. They've figured out, based on their business model, what they can give away without cannibalizing where they want to make money.

This method isn't specific to 3D. You find it in many vertical software markets. One example is the database technology market. I sell software in both of these vertical markets.

You can say its also a "how do I compete with free?" and plug Blender in there among others; but all of these vendors have had messaging that has addressed that for some time (because that's a part of swimming in mature market seas). Blender is FOSS, but it doesn't have a true commercial upsell ( as compared to MySQL in database land).

This is a more reasonable explanation at least in the traditional CG markets and regions. Blender just isn't on my radar as I don't know anyone personally who is using it.
Also the way its being developed (Ton's vision) means its very hard to build and support a pipeline around it. And how many pipelines are switching to Blender? Never heard of one switching to it... I have yet to see Blender doing something *new*. Its always just 'me too' (but 'my way').

I do think that all the jack-of-all-trades 3d software may be stagnating and this is why we see more and more highend studios 'rolling their own' task specific software and using things like maya for just the 'basics' or as 'gaffer tape' between proprietary apps. As mentioned earlier stuff like Fabric Engine may be where the innovation and therefore where the 'new money' may be spent down the road...

Old 08-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #47
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusboy
This is a more reasonable explanation at least in the traditional CG markets and regions. Blender just isn't on my radar as I don't know anyone personally who is using it.
Also the way its being developed (Ton's vision) means its very hard to build and support a pipeline around it. And how many pipelines are switching to Blender? Never heard of one switching to it... I have yet to see Blender doing something *new*. Its always just 'me too' (but 'my way').

I do think that all the jack-of-all-trades 3d software may be stagnating and this is why we see more and more highend studios 'rolling their own' task specific software and using things like maya for just the 'basics' or as 'gaffer tape' between proprietary apps. As mentioned earlier stuff like Fabric Engine may be where the innovation and therefore where the 'new money' may be spent down the road...

From online conversation I heard that Blender is gaining ground in India, China and Indonesia. Of course from Blender Nation you will also know that there is a lot of advertising vfx houses started to utilize Blender.

No comment on Ton, other than for the fact Blender is open source and any company can fork it - provided they have enough developers. Or multiple companies can form a consortium to fork Blender if they wanted to. The news I'm getting from Blender Siggraph is great too, specially those concerning Cycles.

Maybe nobody is going to change pipeline, why fix what wasn't broken. But doesn't change the fact that closed shop can form new one with Blender as the base.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #48
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fablefox
From online conversation I heard that Blender is gaining ground in India, China and Indonesia. Of course from Blender Nation you will also know that there is a lot of advertising vfx houses started to utilize Blender.

No comment on Ton, other than for the fact Blender is open source and any company can fork it - provided they have enough developers. Or multiple companies can form a consortium to fork Blender if they wanted to. The news I'm getting from Blender Siggraph is great too, specially those concerning Cycles.

Maybe nobody is going to change pipeline, why fix what wasn't broken. But doesn't change the fact that closed shop can form new one with Blender as the base.

Exactly, basically we've reached a point where if you are starting from a clean slate or building a workflow from scratch, there's very few reasons not to use Blender anymore except if your team don't know how to use it.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #49
ScotchTapeWorm3D
Know-it-All

portfolio
Bryan Tenorio
Albuquerque, United%2BStates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirazi
Don't forget the hardware makers, who are clearly in cahoots with the software makers.
And while we're at it: this is obviously the secret of capitalism in general.
Keep on convincing the customer to buy and buy and buy.

Competing software companies; and parallel that, the competing hardware companies working with each other ( Hardware Co. together with software Co.) is good for the consumer. The competition gives us all a better product at a lower price.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #50
Hirazi
none of the above

Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchTapeWorm3D
Competing software companies; and parallel that, the competing hardware companies working with each other ( Hardware Co. together with software Co.) is good for the consumer. The competition gives us all a better product at a lower price.

This might be true, but the "monopolistic" tendencies of such a market leave the consumer less actual choice, which in itself would seem to be a bad thing for the consumer...

reply share thread