Doing 3d Printing? Show us your work...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08 August 2014   #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidinc
it's pretty pricey, try making your object hollow to keep costs down

when I make something for shapeways I use zbrush to create a shell of the object


Thanks for the information squidinc........it was a lot of fun getting the price down more and more...I even ended up changing the model drastically in order to get the price down further......which is interesting but not quite what I had in mind.
__________________
Michael J. Dowswell - Independent Filmmaker
.:Youtube :.

Last edited by mjdowswell : 08 August 2014 at 11:19 AM.
 
Old 08 August 2014   #32
Just wanted to share a few bits of info for those new to 3d printing. Here are a couple of FREE apps that I frequently use for 3d model preparation & STL export:

http://www.netfabb.com/basic.php

http://meshmixer.com/download.html

I also highly recommend Zbrush for various reasons in particular it's shelling capabilities. You can do this in other apps as well but ZB makes it so easy! Also, if you own a license to Modo, I recommend the MeshFusion plugin which is capable of exporting a watertight mesh.

Finally, for anyone looking to learn more about 3d printing, you should check out Mold3D, created & run by Dreamworks's Robert Vignone & Edward Quintero. It's a great 3d printing resource for artists. Definitely check out their YouTube channel for some helpful tutorials:

Mold3D TV

If anyone has any other interesting bits of info, please feel free to share.
__________________

 
Old 08 August 2014   #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdowswell
I've been looking into it all.....it's quite expensive this whole thing isn't it?.... O__O


Yeah outsourcing to other companies can be expensive, so yeah you have to be aware of your volume and try to keep your models hollow whenever you can. In general though processes that use powders, such as laser sintering, will cost you more in material, compared to fused deposition modeling such as with plastic filament on home 3D printers. ABS and PLA filament can be pretty cheap, but you have to be weary of some brands, because the quality can be poor. The prices can range anywhere from $15 to $50. Other types of filament can get more expensive. The Makerbot brand is a good standard, I personally like to use the IC3d brand.

Laser sintering and FDM wikis -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_laser_sintering
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fused_deposition_modeling
 
Old 08 August 2014   #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewyPixels
Just wanted to share a few bits of info for those new to 3d printing. Here are a couple of FREE apps that I frequently use for 3d model preparation & STL export:

http://www.netfabb.com/basic.php

http://meshmixer.com/download.html

I also highly recommend Zbrush for various reasons in particular it's shelling capabilities. You can do this in other apps as well but ZB makes it so easy! Also, if you own a license to Modo, I recommend the MeshFusion plugin which is capable of exporting a watertight mesh.

Finally, for anyone looking to learn more about 3d printing, you should check out Mold3D, created & run by Dreamworks's Robert Vignone & Edward Quintero. It's a great 3d printing resource for artists. Definitely check out their YouTube channel for some helpful tutorials:

Mold3D TV

If anyone has any other interesting bits of info, please feel free to share.


What do you use in zbrush to make the model hollow?
 
Old 08 August 2014   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyMack
Thanks Wyatt, having loads of fun, the really thin parts are a bit fragile but the shapeways wsf material holds up to its name in most of them. I have a series of design rules I've developed for strength etc and run each design thru the rules before uploading. They last thru a few solid parties
Here's a vid of durability
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...81760607&type=3

Oh wow, I was not expecting that, that is really hardy. I thought it would be more brittle and not bend at all.

This thread is great, keep it coming. Hoping to get my printer in October!
__________________
HMC: Model Collection
WIP: Harris Nut House
WIP: WarCraft Troll
wyattharris.com Dig it!
 
Old 08 August 2014   #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
What do you use in zbrush to make the model hollow?


The technique is covered in one of Robert's tutorials. Check it out!



There's also a second part where he covers adding supports to the newly created structure. Be sure to keep in mind the type of material that you will be using for final output. Some materials allow very thin surfaces while others do not.
__________________

 
Old 08 August 2014   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian31R
Yeah outsourcing to other companies can be expensive, so yeah you have to be aware of your volume and try to keep your models hollow whenever you can. In general though processes that use powders, such as laser sintering, will cost you more in material, compared to fused deposition modeling such as with plastic filament on home 3D printers. ABS and PLA filament can be pretty cheap, but you have to be weary of some brands, because the quality can be poor. The prices can range anywhere from $15 to $50. Other types of filament can get more expensive. The Makerbot brand is a good standard, I personally like to use the IC3d brand.

Laser sintering and FDM wikis -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_laser_sintering
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fused_deposition_modeling


Thanks for the information Ian31R......yes they do look nice in black.
__________________
Michael J. Dowswell - Independent Filmmaker
.:Youtube :.
 
Old 08 August 2014   #38
I have the coolest key fob thanks to shapeways!

 
Old 08 August 2014   #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdowswell
Thanks for the information Ian31R......yes they do look nice in black.


Yeah in my opinion most things look better in black , especially for more technical parts. I just find it fascinating, all of the different materials that can be printed with. Shapeways does have a variety of materials, but also while browsing the interwebs I found Krafworx, which has an insane amount of materials. Unfortunately those sites are very expensive. That's why I'm glad home 3D printing is stearting to catch up. There's lots of experimental filament materials you can print from at home now, some those sites don't even offer, like wood, carbon fiber, color changing (heat reactive), UV sensitive, or glow-in-the dark filament. Also there are flexible rubber-like and ceramic filaments, also there's translucent filament such as T-glass. You can probably find most of these materials on Amazon, but I also found Maker Geeks where you can find pretty much all of them on. You can't really print with metal filament yet, since the heat requirements are too high. There are filament with bronze powder in them, but that's all I've seen. You might be able to print with metals that have a lower melting point, using a custom extruder. Also you could print a rubber mold and make a wax cast for lost-wax metal casting. Maybe we'll see wax filaments soon.

3D printing really is exciting,that's why I definitely think CGTalk needs a section for 3D printing, with a Gallery and WIPs, and also a general section for practices, techniques, or for specific hardware and software issues.

Last edited by Ian31R : 08 August 2014 at 11:02 PM.
 
Old 08 August 2014   #40
This was posted some time ago, the model is made with Cinema 4D Mograph and 3D printed where each segment is 1mm.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...ight=continuumx





7" Diameter at a cost of $57 including shipping.

I have better photos available if you have a high quality requirement for them.
__________________
digitecture.org
Design|Energy|Computation


 
Old 08 August 2014   #41
Cool stuff. :-)


I thought hard about getting a top of the line printer but I think I will wait for the tech to improve.




Tho, I have been considering a "cheap" $500 printer called da vinci to use along with online 3d printing to get quick immediate prints but also higher res ones if needed:


http://www.amazon.com/XYZprinting-D...a+vinci+printer



No heated bed, anyone know much about them? Waste of money?



Thanks
 
Old 08 August 2014   #42
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebit2014
http://www.amazon.com/XYZprinting-D...a+vinci+printer

No heated bed, anyone know much about them? Waste of money?

Without a heated bed you can forget about printing ABS. For reliable ABS printing you need a heated bed and a heated print chamber. The larger the prints the more important this becomes.
Other than that, from what the images and video show the machine seems quit ok for the price.

Edit: I just saw that they only support their own filament (chiped container) so you are quite limited in what materials you can print. On the other hand this reduces the chances for problems.
__________________
- www.bonkers.de -
The views expressed on this post are my personal opinions and do not represent the views of my employer.

Last edited by Srek : 08 August 2014 at 03:37 PM.
 
Old 08 August 2014   #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srek
Without a heated bed you can forget about printing ABS. For reliable ABS printing you need a heated bed and a heated print chamber. The larger the prints the more important this becomes.
Other than that, from what the images and video show the machine seems quit ok for the price.

Edit: I just saw that they only support their own filament (chiped container) so you are quite limited in what materials you can print. On the other hand this reduces the chances for problems.


Actually I thought the Da Vinci did have a heated print bed (fourth paragraph) - http://thornburgthoughts.wordpress....ter-first-look/
Comments on amazon mention heated bed -
http://www.amazon.com/XYZprinting-D...iews/B00H7VEU0G

I originally got the Da Vinci but returned it to get a Robo 3D printer because of the proprietary filament cartridges and because the Robo can print a ton of other materials, whereas the Da Vinci has like 12 colors. You can open the the cartridges and put other filament in, but you need an arduino to reset the chip if you want to put more filament in. Also I heard some people have had issues where the chip would malfunction and you can't use the cartridge anymore. So yeah, its not the best way to treat your customers by forcing them to use your materials, good for the seller, not so much for the buyer.

Last edited by Ian31R : 08 August 2014 at 01:58 AM.
 
Old 08 August 2014   #44
http://gizmodo.com/disney-research-...ifel-1618678012



3dprint realistic hair.
 
Old 08 August 2014   #45
I did some meme 3d prints at Shapeways. Really impressed with this technology so far, I can't wait to see how far it continues to develop in the next year or two.





I have a few more items at my store. https://www.shapeways.com/mymodels
 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.