reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #16
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Think about what you're actually going to use AE for too, as that will have a bearing on what you need. For me I got fed up of Composite (that came 'free' with my license of Maya) crashing every time I blinked so I bought AE CS 5.5 a while back as an alternative.

What I use it for mainly is comping the passes from 3d apps (Maya and C4D in my case) together and for that it works fine so I don't feel compelled to upgrade. If you are doing cutting edge motion graphics though I guess you'd always want the latest and greatest. The software companies obviously want us all on a continuous upgrade cycle to help their bottom line but in real day to day terms the new features are often pretty minor depending on the kind of work you do.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #17
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

most of the new features in AE are always motion graphic based. CS5 64bit was a giant milestone. CC is hardly different than CS6.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:40 AM   #18
mustique
Expert
copywriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimski
?.. That's BS. Your source files are stored wherever you wish and you don't need to be online to work with CC all the time.

Lets say that for whatever reason you ended your subscription and 6 months later a client wants an updated version of a promo you did. You have to start your subscription again. You either have to earn less or your client has to pay more.

It doesn't have to be payed job. Youre doing some personal stuff but can't open a project because you have ended your subscription 2 months ago. Insert coin!

Let's say adobe servers get attacked again, and is not accessible. Or it's accessible but you can't get access to your ID. You've got some files on adobeCloud you have to access from another comp but can't.

Let's say your country has new regulations and you have pay twice that of Other countries.
Let's say the sun sends extraordinary shockwaves and the whole internet blows up.

OK the last one was BS.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:16 AM   #19
boumay
Expert
portfolio
Steve Iskenderian
Freelance
Makkah, Saudi Arabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaenic
I use CS6 predominately, but also use 5.5 and CC on a regular basis.

I use CS6 the most because it's the most compatible for moving files back and forth, and it's set up with all my plugins and scripts the way I like it. If I turn off my CC subscription, I can still open my CS6 files, hence why I haven't moved to CC altogether.

I use CC mostly for the camera tracker. That thing is awesome. Haven't used the whole Cinema4D Lite a whole lot, but I like the direction it's going. Having access to the whole suite "Audition, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier, Media Encoder" was a huge selling point.

5.5 is what I use for when i'm doing heavy expressions or old pixel blender plugins. For some reason CS6 and CC have given me far worse performance when it comes to processing expressions, so if I have a project that relies on them I go back to 5.5 for maximum performance.

I have had issues with the CC model though. You can read about that on this post here

The whole thread is worth a read if you're looking for alternatives.

Thank you for sharing your experience and for the link

Old 03-08-2014, 05:18 AM   #20
boumay
Expert
portfolio
Steve Iskenderian
Freelance
Makkah, Saudi Arabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horganovski
Think about what you're actually going to use AE for too, as that will have a bearing on what you need. For me I got fed up of Composite (that came 'free' with my license of Maya) crashing every time I blinked so I bought AE CS 5.5 a while back as an alternative.

What I use it for mainly is comping the passes from 3d apps (Maya and C4D in my case) together and for that it works fine so I don't feel compelled to upgrade. If you are doing cutting edge motion graphics though I guess you'd always want the latest and greatest. The software companies obviously want us all on a continuous upgrade cycle to help their bottom line but in real day to day terms the new features are often pretty minor depending on the kind of work you do.

Cheers,
Brian

Thanks for that info. I also want to composite passes from 3dsmax mainly. And benefit of some of the awesome plugins we find for AE. What I'm afraid of, is that the new plugins will only be for cc in the next future...

Old 03-08-2014, 05:23 AM   #21
boumay
Expert
portfolio
Steve Iskenderian
Freelance
Makkah, Saudi Arabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry66
most of the new features in AE are always motion graphic based. CS5 64bit was a giant milestone. CC is hardly different than CS6.

That's a good thing : )
Can you tell more about why CS5 was a great release?

Old 03-08-2014, 06:06 AM   #22
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boumay
That's a good thing : )
Can you tell more about why CS5 was a great release?

Mainly just that it went 64 bit so you could finally use all the ram in your machine. A big deal for working in HD. I honestly don't remember anything else from the release. They always do lots of little things, usually more oriented towards motion graphics.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:26 AM   #23
boumay
Expert
portfolio
Steve Iskenderian
Freelance
Makkah, Saudi Arabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry66
Mainly just that it went 64 bit so you could finally use all the ram in your machine. A big deal for working in HD. I honestly don't remember anything else from the release. They always do lots of little things, usually more oriented towards motion graphics.

Ok thank you.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:50 AM   #24
MichaelWBell
Michael Wentworth-Bell

portfolio
Michael Wentworth-Bell
Motion Graphics / 3D Artist
Reel Pictures
Melbourne, Australia

I use After Effects daily and still have CS3, CS4, CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 installed on my machines.

I do this because there are many little scripts, plugins or full features that have been removed with every release. This is one of the main reasons I won't upgrade to Adobe CC - I cannot have previous versions of CC installed. If a new AE CC update comes out in the future, I will have 12 months to upgrade and then that's it.

Examples:
1)
After Effects CS5 was a groundbreaking re-write of the software in 64-bit. Unfortunately there are still many plugins that were never re-written for 64-bit, and so I keep the 32-bit CS4 on my machine for the times those plugins are needed.

2)
After Effects CS6 REMOVED support for any pixel bender plugins. Many extremely handy and usefuly plugins will not work past that version now. One of these was Youveelizer by Maltaanon which allowed you to remap textures onto your 3D renders using the 'UV pass' from your renderer. Fantastic!

In 2 years After Effects CC may remove support for another feature, or a 3rd party wont upgrade their plugin to support any Ae CC advancements. It is extremely annoying to not have the option to keep an 'old' version of CC on your machine for the few (but necessary) times you need it.

That as well as the whole forced subscription crap is why I will stay on After Effects CS6 for as long as possible.

My Folio website
LODE Facebook page

Old 03-10-2014, 07:14 AM   #25
boumay
Expert
portfolio
Steve Iskenderian
Freelance
Makkah, Saudi Arabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWBell
I use After Effects daily and still have CS3, CS4, CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 installed on my machines.

I do this because there are many little scripts, plugins or full features that have been removed with every release. This is one of the main reasons I won't upgrade to Adobe CC - I cannot have previous versions of CC installed. If a new AE CC update comes out in the future, I will have 12 months to upgrade and then that's it.

Examples:
1)
After Effects CS5 was a groundbreaking re-write of the software in 64-bit. Unfortunately there are still many plugins that were never re-written for 64-bit, and so I keep the 32-bit CS4 on my machine for the times those plugins are needed.

2)
After Effects CS6 REMOVED support for any pixel bender plugins. Many extremely handy and usefuly plugins will not work past that version now. One of these was Youveelizer by Maltaanon which allowed you to remap textures onto your 3D renders using the 'UV pass' from your renderer. Fantastic!

In 2 years After Effects CC may remove support for another feature, or a 3rd party wont upgrade their plugin to support any Ae CC advancements. It is extremely annoying to not have the option to keep an 'old' version of CC on your machine for the few (but necessary) times you need it.

That as well as the whole forced subscription crap is why I will stay on After Effects CS6 for as long as possible.

Thank you for sharing your experience, it's useful to know those things.
But for us, only cs6 is available, I hope it can still do good job for compositing. And I guess adobe won't allow license transfer so we could be an older cs, which is completely absurd.

reply share thread