After Effects cs 6, is it worth it for the future?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2014
After Effects cs 6, is it worth it for the future?

I was thinking about buying AE CS 6 because I don't like the cloud system, but is it worth buying with the new cc versions present and coming, in terms of features and compatibility? Will it be usable a pretty good time before being obsolete?

03 March 2014
There are people still using CS2 or 3. And that was the problem for Adobe, they make such awesome software that enough users didn't update so they lost money. A lot of users now hate Adobe so they will stay on CS6 so (I think) the plug-in vendors will make sure that version is supported to get sales.

About the actual software, I really don't know if there is something you will miss out on. Most cool/useful stuff are plug-ins once you got such a good base that AE is.

Last edited by Sthu : 03 March 2014 at 12:27 PM.

03 March 2014
Thank you.
I don't miss anything actually. My personal opinion is that I do think cs6 is worth it, but since I don't have experience in it, I just wanted to be sure

03 March 2014
hey boumay, I'm no AE pro (used it for four years but in a very linear and boring way hehe) and I'm not that knowledgeable about the sub. since it doesn't affect me. So hopefully you get a few other answer here as well about the value compared to the sub.

These software threads are the best, it's always interesting to hear the route people take and why.

03 March 2014
Your opinion is welcome, and it's better than mine, as I have no experience at all.

03 March 2014
AE is very nice for mograph and kinetic typography, and also not so bad for the rest.
I'm on CS6 and have no intent to upgrade to the Cloud bullshit. Your sourcefiles will be dependent on your subscription and adobe servers . Too risky.

If you are into pro vfx compositing, look no further than nuke.

03 March 2014
CS5 here., but only on my own computers. Everywhere else where I work it's basically CC.

03 March 2014
Yes I'm in vfx compositing, but nuke is too expensive and even fusion, ae seemed to be a good, cheaper alternative

03 March 2014
Blender has a compositing module, Maya and 3ds max come with Toxik.

Quote: Your sourcefiles will be dependent on your subscription and adobe servers .
That's BS. Your source files are stored wherever you wish and you don't need to be online to work with CC all the time.

03 March 2014
I'm on CS6, and oddly doing much more motion graphic work these days. Youtube appears to be driving demand in that area. An update for CS6 did come out recently so that it is compatible on mavericks, discovered this just yesterday because I updated my OS on my laptop and AECS6 wouldn't launch ... urq ... the patch fixed the problem.

But, I'm not so inclined to switch to CC ... don't like the idea of being consistently highjacked into the pay or lose access to it regime.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by scrimski: Blender has a compositing module, Maya and 3ds max come with Toxik.

That's BS. Your source files are stored wherever you wish and you don't need to be online to work with CC all the time.

I do use toxik, but it is outdated and major new interesting features won't be added, and it's so unstable that it is a pain to use it. But I do like it very much, if only its development was still sustained.

Last edited by boumay : 03 March 2014 at 06:34 PM.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by boumay: I do use toxik, but it is outdated and major new interesting features won't be added, and it's so unstable that it is a pain to use it. But I do like it very much, if only its development was still sustained.

FWIW, this is pretty much why I use Blender's compositor for render finishing. When Toxik is too old, and AE is too layer-based and "cloudy" and Nuke is too expensive...where else? Blender's comp kit is node-based, floating point, and free. You can use node groups to build up stock effects and scripts, and editing the comp is very fast once you get the hang of it. The biggest con IMO is the lack of caching, so any change requires the whole node tree to be re-run. The other issue you might run into is lack of plugins, if you had any favorites you relied on.

That being said, if you make your money adding CG to real footage, you really should consider springing for a Nuke license. It's what, $4k+$1k maintenance? When you're talking critical kit, it's not THAT much in the long run.

03 March 2014
I use CS6 predominately, but also use 5.5 and CC on a regular basis.

I use CS6 the most because it's the most compatible for moving files back and forth, and it's set up with all my plugins and scripts the way I like it. If I turn off my CC subscription, I can still open my CS6 files, hence why I haven't moved to CC altogether.

I use CC mostly for the camera tracker. That thing is awesome. Haven't used the whole Cinema4D Lite a whole lot, but I like the direction it's going. Having access to the whole suite "Audition, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier, Media Encoder" was a huge selling point.

5.5 is what I use for when i'm doing heavy expressions or old pixel blender plugins. For some reason CS6 and CC have given me far worse performance when it comes to processing expressions, so if I have a project that relies on them I go back to 5.5 for maximum performance.

I have had issues with the CC model though. You can read about that on this post here

The whole thread is worth a read if you're looking for alternatives.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by jtheninja: FWIW, this is pretty much why I use Blender's compositor for render finishing. When Toxik is too old, and AE is too layer-based and "cloudy" and Nuke is too expensive...where else? Blender's comp kit is node-based, floating point, and free. You can use node groups to build up stock effects and scripts, and editing the comp is very fast once you get the hang of it. The biggest con IMO is the lack of caching, so any change requires the whole node tree to be re-run. The other issue you might run into is lack of plugins, if you had any favorites you relied on.

That being said, if you make your money adding CG to real footage, you really should consider springing for a Nuke license. It's what, $4k+$1k maintenance? When you're talking critical kit, it's not THAT much in the long run.

Thank you for these precisions, I should give blender a try. Do you know if it has a world position pass node for relighting?
Also your advice for nuke is right. But this is a lot of cash for a freelancer! : )

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by scrimski: That's BS. Your source files are stored wherever you wish and you don't need to be online to work with CC all the time.

Not BS. While your source files are located on your HD, the ability to access them is dependent upon Adobe. As has been stated on FB and the Adobe forums, there have been MANY instances of the computer not being able to access Adobe which in turn shuts down the software. And as I recall, opening CC files in CS6 is problematic - I'm not even sure if you CAN open AE files from CC in CS6 without jumping through hoops. And then you HAVE to have CS6 perpetual license to even do so.

IMO it's not worth it. While Hitfilm2 Ultimate is not yet an AE replacement, it will be. Many schools are not investing into CC and Adobe will be forced to address the issue of subscription only software - or lose more and more customers.

reply share thread