So is the VFX industry in Los Angeles that bad as people say?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2014
Question So is the VFX industry in Los Angeles that bad as people say?

Kept being told on another site that it's not a good thing to get into unless you can afford to move to places like Vancouver or London.

03 March 2014
It absolutely is THAT bad.

Foreign subsidies have decimated the local industry in LA. There is the Countervailing Duty effort that is moving forward. And once the case is put before the ICT it will be retroactive when the study is completed and sides with our case. So the major film studios should begin to change their 'rent seeking' behavior once the complaint is filed. But this effort wont be quick and can take some time.

There is the push by some of the LA unions for local subsidies on par of those with Vancouver or London. But that is a race to the bottom as subsidies are a waste of taxpayer money and dont pay for themselves. So many (most) VFX artists are against it. Subsidies wont last forever and aren't in the long term interest/health of the industry.

That being said. If you have the ability to relocate and obtain a work visa for London or Vancouver then by all means. Because that's where all the work is due to the subsidies.

Watch this for a better explanation

Last edited by Maxim_311 : 03 March 2014 at 12:28 AM.

03 March 2014
Will this films that use other resources outside the region other than VFX. Other activities that are subsidized are film crews and remotely located film studios.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by PerryDS: Will this films that use other resources outside the region other than VFX. Other activities that are subsidized are film crews and remotely located film studios.

Theoretically, from my understanding, a CVD would also be able to be applied to other aspects of the film industry which are subsidized. Because it all leads to a "good" which is then re-imported to the US. But I haven't looked into how this could apply to non VFX film jobs

03 March 2014
Yeah, It's that bad. I've never seen it that bad since the 10+ years I've been in LA. I'm lucky that I was able to go back to my old job still within California.

A lot of my friends and former co-workers got thrown into the wind with DD/R+H going bankrupt and layoffs at Dreamworks and to a lesser extent Disney all within a few months of each other put about 2,000 plus experienced workers looking for work.

LA can absorb a company going bust, VFX companies going under isn't unheard of.... but it can't handle this much at once combined with the subsidies race pushing work outside the city.

03 March 2014
My belief is if there are any subsidies at all, they should go to support small local productions exclusively, not to used as finance structures for large multinationals.

03 March 2014
The small California subsidy is like that. It has a cap of 25 million per year and the budget cannot be over a certain amount. It's not useful for large productions. Other countries have no upper cap.

03 March 2014
We have a similar subsidy structure here in Alberta, with a limited cap. Although, we don't have much of an industry either ... CG type work is near non-existent.

But we do have a film studio that is rarely used, and they plan to build another box in Calgary that will very likely sit empty for most of the year ...

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by PerryDS: My belief is if there are any subsidies at all, they should go to support small local productions exclusively, not to used as finance structures for large multinationals.

Tell that to the Canadian and English governments.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by Maxim_311: There is the push by some of the LA unions for local subsidies on par of those with Vancouver or London. But that is a race to the bottom as subsidies are a waste of taxpayer money and dont pay for themselves. So many (most) VFX artists are against it. Subsidies wont last forever and aren't in the long term interest/health of the industry.

I wrote a piece in the March edition of the Pegboard addressing that view called To Subsidy or Not To Subsidy : http://animationguild.org/peg-board/

While I agree that subsidies are inherently a bad decision, and certainly don't want my tax money going to the conglomerates to do work here, there has to be something said for the prevailing custom and practice and getting people working.

That's why the unions (not just the IA, but most unions involved in production in LA who are working in conjunction with the MPAA) are behind raising the CA state subsidy/incentive.

Also, I've been hearing that TV work is becoming prevalent again. Nowhere near the level that's going on in Vancouver, but there's a number of houses working on episodics in town. That's not to say that I feel the time is right to move to LA for work, just noting my findings.
vfxunion.org

03 March 2014
Damn this is pretty depressing. Moved back to my home state to find out my dream is currently being moved to another country.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by SteveKaplan: I wrote a piece in the March edition of the Pegboard addressing that view called To Subsidy or Not To Subsidy : http://animationguild.org/peg-board/

While I agree that subsidies are inherently a bad decision, and certainly don't want my tax money going to the conglomerates to do work here, there has to be something said for the prevailing custom and practice and getting people working.

That's why the unions (not just the IA, but most unions involved in production in LA who are working in conjunction with the MPAA) are behind raising the CA state subsidy/incentive.

Also, I've been hearing that TV work is becoming prevalent again. Nowhere near the level that's going on in Vancouver, but there's a number of houses working on episodics in town. That's not to say that I feel the time is right to move to LA for work, just noting my findings.

Its ultimate foolishness and stupidity the idea of giving money to huge rich companies for the privilege of getting work. To think that Californians will want their cash strapped government thats cutting back on teachers and other public works to give upwards of 400 plus MILLION dollars to billion dollar companies racking in all time profits is silly.

The unions dont argue for subsidies because they believe them right and good...they argue for them because its the ONLY thing they can argue for. You guys are crippled by the fact that you're international and cant argue fighting against something another nation is doing.

And now with the full feature animation studios looking to explore jobs in subsidized locations There is no sign to the end of the exodus. http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/u-s...don-1201124500/

Subsidies are BS, everyone knows it, but many dont have the courage or ability as is the case of the unions to stand up to fight them rather than continuing the race to the bottom.

Thread Closed share thread