Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalSiege
So go ahead and be sarcastic, mock me if you it'll make you feel superior, but i find the best retaliation against such things to be pure ignorance.

Mission accomplished.

But seriously, you might want to thicken your skin a little if you think that I or anyone else here was being abusive. I don't see how using the search function with a couple of phrases in a couple of sub-forums would require you to sift through "thousands of old posts." These questions have been asked a lot and there's plenty of good information in those easily searchable threads. The fact that you don't want to spend a couple hours researching them says a lot about your work ethic and perhaps the legitimacy of your question in the first place.

So good luck with your desired modeling career. With your attitude you're going to need it.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #32
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
But seriously, you might want to thicken your skin a little...

Seriously, no one is taking a shot at you because they don't like you. I'm sitting at work eating lunch and looking for a way to pass the hour with a smile. And CGTalk never seems to disappoint.

Being 38 when you asked if 30 was too old that seemed funny to me. Like I should go dig my grave.

I once taught a guy who was switching careers from being a successful hydraulics engineer because he could see the market collapsing and didn't want to get trapped. He was 55. It's never too late if you have the will!
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #33
sacboi
[Ping Pong Addict]

portfolio
Ian Rei
CG Generalist
TBA
Melbourne, Australia

...Hmmm seems I've been lumped in with the troll/sarcastic crowd by the OP.....

What intrigued me was this thread's title which draw me to hit it, and to my amazement/puzzlement as I read the preamble the inference that 30yrs of age would by any measure preclude developing as an artist or in this instance a 3D polygon modeller was an erroneous self imposed indictment. Reading on - the more nonsensical the thread's premise, confused I attempted a detailed response to clarify/pinpoint exactly the OP's concerns in relation to progressing as an artist where both an attempted formal educational solution and the years of collaborative game development across multiple game middleware packages had not accomplished.

IMHO an essential element for organic modelling is an ability to conceptualise characters by drawing/sketching in either the traditional or digital medium. I enquired into whether the OP had an art background, if so suggesting an option of posting work with the emphasis that this forum's membership encompass all visual artistic backgrounds, disciplines and skill levels a logical avenue I thought for attaining focused feedback to enable progression. However by the cherry picked non tagged fragment [I had assumed the following quote was aimed at my initial response] if correct it seems the bulk of my reply has been arbitrarily dismissed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalSiege
Well the main reason i went to university was to get it "on paper" that i can do these things because a lot of companies wont hire you if you don't have the degree or diploma to back it up.

Yes perhaps but not always the case, organisations will also usually gage the perspective applicant's aptitude for the position by a number of relevant factor's ie: prior knowledge/practical experience/evidence of own work/communication skills/potential for progression...etc - rather than specifically the hard copy qualification, I might also add that these criteria translate across industries in whatever field of endeavour. From my experience during the probationary/assessment period once the applicant has successfully navigated the application process, a primary attribute most employers value is team integration or how you interact/collaborate with others in communicating the company's vision to the market place moving forward.

Re-reading this thread in its entirety clarified for me an irksome dismissive tone and condescending attitude which doesn't bode well for future employment opportunities if an adjustment is not forthcoming, further illustrated by OP's juvenile final post yes in THAT! context 30 is to old.

Last edited by sacboi : 03-07-2014 at 08:04 AM.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:04 AM   #34
JakobJK
Jakob Juel Kousholt
Senior Modeller
Cinesite
London, United Kingdom

Yeah. I'd say you're too old. I'm 25, so I'm almost done. I might go play professionally soccer for a few years and then retire. ...

My brother got into the industry when he was 28, and he's now a lead at a major studio within 3 years from being an intern. Things moves really fast when you get the chance.

reply share thread