Am i too old to develop myself as a model artist?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 03 March 2014   #16
It's funny how young people think they're tool old for something. I'm older than you, and if I want to master something, I give it a shot.

When I left my position at a 9 to 5 agency job, someone joked that I was retiring. I told them I was just about to really begin my career. That's a better attitude to have.

Old 03 March 2014   #17
Hey TacticalSiege. Don't worry, it is never late to start anything. And in your case, you have benefit of experience. No matter what or which firm you used to develop with, even it is small or big. You mentioned that you were helping people and you never concentrated on your self. But I would say you have enough experience and of course an upper hand than those you helped. Don't you think? And why are you so generous with time by giving another five years for learning, if you believe its already late.
I stumbled upon your thread while I was searching for some good character modeling oriented stuffs and threads for myself. So I would like to suggest some useful findings of mine.
First of all search for "Essence the face modeling and texturing" on google, then you know what to do.
Then try some gnomon's character oriented training. Start Zbrush or Mudbox if you didn't... With those you can climb the level of details.
And most of all create as many characters as possible. . .
Don't you worry about your age TacticalSiege you still are young with some tactical advantage.
Cheers and Good luck!
https://vimeo.com/80189808

Old 03 March 2014   #18
Well the main reason i went to university was to get it "on paper" that i can do these things because a lot of companies wont hire you if you don't have the degree or diploma to back it up.

A lot of great advice guys

I think I'm at the point where i am in a good position to start doing this now. The other main problem is that I've always worked in low poly stuff and not really high poly because it's what a lot of games require.

Everytime i sit down and want to start to work on my skills i get somebody else asking me for help with drawing or animation or modeling and I'm just too nice to say no because i remember being new to it and how hard it was xD

I've been following a few ZBrush tutorials by Eat3D and Gnomon but i find Gnomon to be too fast, they don't really explain much. Eat3D are pretty great but they don't have near as many tutorials. Youtube tutorials are kinda lacking too so I'm just trying to collaborate the information that i "absorb" and learn a few tricks here and there.

I am in two minds whether or not to do the whole "laying out base mesh in Maya/3DS then build it up in ZBrush" or just go straight to ZBrush.

Oh well it has only been 3 days so it's not like I'm going to learn everything on the 7th xD

Thanks for the tip, Maxster, I'll have to look into that because I figured I'd start learning the modeling of the head first then work outwards so to say.

I mainly wish to pursue stylized characters but i also firmly understand that concentrating on that one thing alone is a bad idea.

Last edited by TacticalSiege : 03 March 2014 at 09:48 AM.

Old 03 March 2014   #19
I also think its good to start with head first and then other. I just started the character stuff myself. And my approach will be, I guess Modeling in Maya and detailing in Zbrush. If you want to go the youtube way, it is also fine. I am sharing a youtube tut I am following. And I think it is pretty good. Its a series. Check yourself for the rest if you like.

And "Essence the face modeling and texturing" is a must in many ways. Check those out, sip a coffee and go Spartaaa....

Good luck!

Old 03 March 2014   #20
Thanks I'll watch it! I'm just sort of put off with the whole base mesh creation it seems like a long pointless task when you could just make it in ZBrush in the same amount of time xD

Other than clean topology i don't really see the benefits of making it in Maya first and all tutorials I've watched so far have started out in ZBrush.

However i am a rather open minded person and i understand that knowing how to make things in ZBrush alone can be a hindrance because, let's face it, ZBrush hasn't always been around. What if I'm required to make characters in Maya/3DS and the only thing i can say is "Uhhh i don't know how.. I've only ever started in ZBrush.."

If you can't start from the basics then it's no good, basic's nurtures good improvisation ability...

I'll also see if i can watch "Essence the face modeling and texturing" because there's no point in modeling characters if you can't even make good skin textures xD

Do Creative Essence have an actual website? I can't seem to find one maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

Last edited by TacticalSiege : 03 March 2014 at 10:43 AM.

Old 03 March 2014   #21
Originally Posted by Artbot: Nice humble-brag. Seriously, you're 30 and already have 8 years 3D modeling experience? Not sure I see what your conflict is here.

There are about a thousand threads right on this site asking "Am I too old to..." and its sister question, "Do I need a degree?" Check them out.

This.

/thread

Old 03 March 2014   #22
Originally Posted by leigh: This.

/thread

Each one comes with different situations and concerns, I'm not going to sift through thousands of posts lol.

Old 03 March 2014   #23
Originally Posted by TacticalSiege: Each one comes with different situations and concerns, I'm not going to sift through thousands of posts lol.

Hmmm, I think I see why you are having difficulty....

Old 03 March 2014   #24
Okay... If that's what you think.

Last edited by TacticalSiege : 03 March 2014 at 09:50 AM.

Old 03 March 2014   #25
*sigh* Forums are great examples of fluctuating opinions aren't they? You get helpful people for the most part and then you get the people who just want to be sarcastic.

To everybody who helped with my query i thank you. To the sarcastic people I'm not even going to entertain you with a "well earned" retaliatory response. I don't believe in feeding trolls, i stopped doing that years ago.

Anyhoo again thanks but i have no intentions of returning to this forum, not for a while anyway. So go ahead and be sarcastic, mock me if you it'll make you feel superior, but i find the best retaliation against such things to be pure ignorance.

I had enough people trying to knock me back when i first started to get into 3D modeling all them years ago, it used to bother me but now such things only serve to make me more determined.

Old 03 March 2014   #26
I was almost 33, with 3 kids and a single mum, when I suddenly jumped into 3D out of the blue. My only experience was traditional art as a passion in my teen age.
Always dreamed to do art, but I worked as nursery nurse most of the time before. Haaah!
Am I too old - 34 today Thanks a lot!

I aim to be be character artist, and animator - and I dedicate all my energy to it - no sleep

But I often ask myself those questions too - yet I can't imagine doing anything else in this world - I love art - good - or bad - period

It's all about to believe in yourself and do what you love - because nobody else will do it for you

A thought to myself too

Old 03 March 2014   #27
Depends on your mindset. Who would want to live in a world where you only hear what you want to hear? How would you ever learn anything? In sarcasm there is often hidden truth. Thanking people who took the time to help you doesnt only include the replies you like. Age is very relative, being narrow is a trait that could be mistaken for a person being old before their time. At your age you will want to be as flexible and dynamic as possible.

Old 03 March 2014   #28
Originally Posted by Kanga: Depends on your mindset. Who would want to live in a world where you only hear what you want to hear? How would you ever learn anything? In sarcasm there is often hidden truth.

Not around here. More often than not it is just mean spirited and serves no purpose. I think a lot of people are jaded, bitter about the state of the industry and generally unhappy in their positions. The forum becomes a place to vent.

Nearly every forum I have visited has those who say, 'check out the hundreds or thousands of previous posts on this topic', or worse, 'learn to use search'. While that can be helpful at times, the OP is right in that everyone comes with different experiences and concerns. Fresh new answers to old questions can also be very useful.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 03 March 2014   #29
Originally Posted by teruchan: Not around here. More often than not it is just mean spirited and serves no purpose. I think a lot of people are jaded, bitter about the state of the industry and generally unhappy in their positions. The forum becomes a place to vent.

Nearly every forum I have visited has those who say, 'check out the hundreds or thousands of previous posts on this topic', or worse, 'learn to use search'. While that can be helpful at times, the OP is right in that everyone comes with different experiences and concerns. Fresh new answers to old questions can also be very useful.

Well like I said it depends on your mindset. GD is no different to the wip area where you have members who thank those who praise them and argue with those who try to help with crits and directions. Life is a mixed bag. Dont forget that every comment is also a bump.

Old 03 March 2014   #30
Well, well, well.... things really are going the spartan way since then. Calm down guys, He is just a fellow artist seeking some guidance or opinion. There's nothing wrong in that I believe.
Yes you can find many similar threads with same questions and stuffs. But I think it is ok in our field to repeat it after certain time. Technology and softwares always change each days, so does the learning techniques. We can find many threads with out dated suggestion and stuffs and some of the old queries can be done in much better and faster way at present.
It is not just one person, some threads can yield information for many other people.

Last edited by maxster : 03 March 2014 at 03:18 PM.

reply share thread