Am i too old to develop myself as a model artist?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2014
Red face Am i too old to develop myself as a model artist?

Let me first of all say that i am mainly self taught and i have about 8 years experience as a 3D model artist working on various games engines mainly helping people with their mods and such. This is why I've progressed slower than others over the past 8 years, been too busy helping other people with their projects and not really concentrating on helping myself.

I'm 30 years old but I've never really got into the character creation side of things but I've decided that i want to pursue it and become really good at it within the next 5 years, maybe even sooner.

What sort of chance do i stand at becoming professional or is everything "go to college/university?"

I tried to go to university but they were teaching me things that i already knew and i got so bored that i was advising the lecturer about hotkeys in 3DS Max (terrible i know but as i said i was sooo bored and wanted to help i guess...)

Thanks!

Last edited by TacticalSiege : 03 March 2014 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Needed to make changes

03 March 2014
30 is not old, come on. You already have a base 3D knowledge which would make a transition to character creation much easier than someone who has no 3D knowledge at all.

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

03 March 2014
Definitely not too old, if you want to learn I would recommend finding tutorials online. Paid tutorials and workshops are taught by some of the top people in the business and are much cheaper than school. Don't waste money on classes that aren't challenging you. And you don't actually need a degree anyways, just good skills.

03 March 2014
Nice humble-brag. Seriously, you're 30 and already have 8 years 3D modeling experience? Not sure I see what your conflict is here.

There are about a thousand threads right on this site asking "Am I too old to..." and its sister question, "Do I need a degree?" Check them out.

03 March 2014
Yes you are too old.
It's a question an old person would ask.

Wait, what were we talking about?

03 March 2014
I'm seriously not bragging... I have 8 years experience un-professionally so compared to professionals that is nothing.

I don't consider myself to be professional.

03 March 2014
Not so much your age, but if you have been playing around for 8 years and things aren't really popping out for you...you might not be cut out for modeling. I have seen in a school environment, and in a professional new-talent-rev-up environment, those who will be modelers usually are apparent within a few weeks. Some people just get it. I'm not suggesting that you will never get it, but you are probably picking the wrong battle.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by TacticalSiege: I'm seriously not bragging...

Lol, they're just messing with you. "Is 30 years old too old" is a pretty funny question when you think about it.

I think we need a new criteria, if you can take abuse from CGTalk members and still smile you might be cut out for this.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

03 March 2014
Yeah Wyatt is right I am messing with you.
I remember when I was 30
I think.

03 March 2014
Don't know dude, if you were only 29 then maybe, you'd still be starting in your twenties, but you have crossed the threshold so only if you start immediately, you might get couple of good characters before you die!

btw. I'm 33, started doing 3D at 16. considering focusing on character creation. So I'm worse case than you, dude.

03 March 2014
Even if you were over 50 it'd still really boil down to your reel and how your colleagues like working with you.

Don't worry!

03 March 2014
hm i'm 1 year graduated from my degree course and started working as 3d artist in animation company and I am 30 this year, i only know so far that everytime i submit my reel and resume for an interview they never relly bother about my age but my work history, what i have done before and if I or anyone can fit into the company and help contribute in the company instead of being a normal salaryman

in fact so far i know they didn't care about my age, but sad news is they will not give me a new working contract, thats how i understands if anyone can contribute, this I telling you is from experience, others maybe share diff story haha

03 March 2014
The beauty of art is that you are never too old to start. This is not a sport(football, for example) where if you want to be professional starting by the age of 15 might already be way too late since that profession will not last for life but only until 35..40 max.

Art is for life and nobody will ask you how old are you.

Look it this way..there is a lot old 60+ folks in movie industry, for example. You have 30 with 8 year of experience..in 5 years if you really get into it by 35 you can get REALLY good..imagine what can you do in next 25+ then. It's a LOT of time to do a LOT of things.

Good example is John Howe (i remembered him now because the other day i was searching something about him) and he is around 60, he is also one of concept artists on movie trilogy "The Hobbit". Who wouldn't want to work on Hobbit..well he's 60 and he is doing it! heh
In 30 years, do you think you can get good enough to also work on some great projects?

You can master the hell out of it and beyond, my friend!

03 March 2014
You think 30 is too old to get into the game? Try 43:

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 03 March 2014 at 11:53 PM.

03 March 2014
...As to the title of this thread a definitive no!... age has no bearing in developing as an artist irrespective of discipline and from what I understand after reading your post some of it makes no sense to me which I'll answer plus counter question in detail:

Originally Posted by TacticalSiege: Let me first of all say that i am mainly self taught and i have about 8 years experience as a 3D model artist working on various games engines mainly helping people with their mods and such. This is why I've progressed slower than others over the past 8 years, been too busy helping other people with their projects and not really concentrating on helping myself

- a) By what benchmark or perception have you assessed your progression as slow?

To the casual observer I would think a self taught freelance 3D modeller with 8yrs experience working across multiple middleware platforms helping to develop various projects would be sufficient in terms of progressing as an 3D artist even without experience in organic modelling.

Originally Posted by TacticalSiege: I'm 30 years old but I've never really got into the character creation side of things but I've decided that i want to pursue it and become really good at it within the next 5 years, maybe even sooner

- b) Why did you state your age in conjunction with a fixed timeline in becoming "really good" [what ever that means] in creating characters?

Please my intent by asking these questions is that I'm confused [I apologise if I seem rude] I reference the above point a) answer.

Originally Posted by TacticalSiege: What sort of chance do i stand at becoming professional or is everything "go to college/university?

IMHO your already most of the way there again I reference the above point a) answer, there are also a multitude of threads that address this question on this board - that most organisations gage an applicants aptitude in learning or prior use of industry standard CGI software and portfolio rather that solely what qual's they bring to the table. May I also suggest that you submit some of your work for critique there are industry professionals and experienced members on this forum that will provide honest appraisal together with competent trustworthy advice and guidance of your work.

Originally Posted by TacticalSiege: I tried to go to university but they were teaching me things that i already knew and i got so bored that i was advising the lecturer about hotkeys in 3DS Max (terrible i know but as i said i was sooo bored and wanted to help i guess...)

- c) Why did you even bother enroling? [again I reference the above point a) answer]

What did you hope to learn/achieve at uni if as you said to some extent your abilities superseded the teacher's did you not seek some guidance from peers or industry based sources before embarking on the formal training pathway and subsequently withdrawal from the course of study. I speak from a fine art background with formal training in IT Web based programming only recently [last 12mths] deciding to explore the
CGI environment, like you I've had about a decade's exposure to various game engine architectures so if you have some art background the learning curve for characters is not steep or long and again post some work it can be a very intimidating and humbling experience but believe me you will be better for it not only as an artist but also a person IMHO.

reply share thread