shrunkendesigner
Frequenter

portfolio
Lloyd Harvey
Freelance Concept Artist
Billericay, United Kingdom

NAME: Oni World: Klank's Story
CATEGORY: 2D Platform Game

PROJECT DESCRIPTION: By chance, a seemingly ordinary warden becomes self-aware and sets out on a journey to discover more about himself, the world, and the impending darkness that threatens all of creation.

STATUS NUMBER: Honestly, I don't know. I'm going to say.... 6.

WHAT WENT RIGHT:
Well, I didn't post an update in February because me and Sam just knuckled down and worked on a whole bunch of stuff. What went right? We got a lot done. In short, here are some of the things we achieved:

- Sam compiled the first, testable build, of the game's level editor and with it, we were able to mock up a level and test some of the mechanics. I offered some suggestions to make the editor more user friendly.

- We hired an animator to handle the main sprite of our game and had the first batch of animations returned to us. They've since been worked into the game and we're having fun with the glitch that makes Klank moonwalk about. The animations were created using a program called Spine.

- I completed another couple of pages of assets for the factory level of the game and moved onto designing the look of another level, to show people its not all about robots and machines. I've made progress in designing the general look and feel of level 5, which is the Fungal Swamps.

- We posted up a progress shot of one of the concepts to Reddit, and got feedback on lighting ideas and the mood of the concepts. It helped us in settling on a look for the swamp. We received about 120+ comments on that thread, the majority positive and helpful.

- Both me and Sam have been fleshing out the Story Design and Game Design documents. A lot more lore to the game has been added and some addition mechanics have been decided on.

- Actual level design has begun and I've devised a number of puzzle sequences... all designed to piss the player off.

- Me and Sam both created videos of us explaining some stuff. Sam talks about more technical aspects and I waffled on in a half hour video of the design process I went through for the swamp. Our Youtube channel for that is here: http://www.youtube.com/user/OniWorksGames

- Sam has been improving the editor steadily and made more improvements to the smart texture system and has worked in the stage lighting editor too.

It was a positive and productive month and we're already making more leaps with the game this month.

SHOW AND TELL:

I won't show every piece of concept work I've done for the game (most can be seen at the Dev Blog) but here are a select few:

Some more Factory Assets

Some Mushroom Platforms

A Giant Shroom

A Toadly Fun Guy (get it?)

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Old 03-06-2014, 04:43 AM   #17
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
OniWorld looks really fantastic.

It's a bit quirky, but still looks fantastic.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #18
shrunkendesigner
Frequenter

portfolio
Lloyd Harvey
Freelance Concept Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
OniWorld looks really fantastic.

It's a bit quirky, but still looks fantastic.

Is quirkiness a bad thing or are you not really into things of a quirky nature?

I like quirk. Its a fun and weird word to say.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Old 03-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #19
redCigarette
I.

portfolio
ishan shukla
Generalist
India

I just got married to my long time girlfriend. Hence the delay

Roberto,
Thanks for the plug!

Rez007,
Thanks man. Hope to keep pushing our style and hopefully finish this year!

grantmoore3d,
Whoa you are really moving well. Must be exhilarating to finally be able to work full time on your games. So what's the future of pole force one and the other game that you started then? This is your 3rd game idea in a span of few months

Pyke,
Quote:
SHOW AND TELL: Im supposed to keep this under wraps for another week before it goes public...but what the hell?

Wow! Now that Irrational is down, all I need is a point and click Bioshock. Looking great.

arnel555,
Very cool concept art. Idea is descent but I agree as others have commented. Religiously following pixar might be boring. It has been overdone by many individuals and studios all over the world already/ It can be a lot more grittier yet funny IMHO.

shrunkendesigner,
I will say this again. Having loved Machinarium, every time I see a new concept art or dev blog from this game, my anticipation rises. Good luck mate.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #20
shrunkendesigner
Frequenter

portfolio
Lloyd Harvey
Freelance Concept Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCigarette
I just got married to my long time girlfriend. Hence the delay

shrunkendesigner,
I will say this again. Having loved Machinarium, every time I see a new concept art or dev blog from this game, my anticipation rises. Good luck mate.

Congrats on the marriage dude. Hope you guys have a long and happy future together.

And thanks man. It interesting, I've still not played Machinarium and because people keep saying to me the Oni World work reminds them of that game, I feel compelled to NOT play it... although on the other hand I feel I should play it to try to avoid making it too similar.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Old 03-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #21
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrunkendesigner
Is quirkiness a bad thing or are you not really into things of a quirky nature?

I like quirk. Its a fun and weird word to say.

I can appreciate Quirky the way I appreciate Super Mario 3D World and laugh with glee at how wonderful it is... .then I go back to play Borderlands 2... and love that in a more basic way.

It's like how I can appreciate Mozart...and say "This is a Master at work!" and then turn on Metallica in iTunes and rave about how "Death Magnetic" is the greatest thing in years.

I mean... you're talking to the guy who wants to make animation using girls-with-guns and everything blowing up. hehehe.

But see... bias doesn't impact appreciation. There are elements OniWorld ticks off that immediately conjure comparisons to Nintendo's output. You decide if that's a good thing.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:40 AM   #22
grantmoore3d
Geek Extraordinaire

portfolio
Grant Moore
Creative Director
ComboMash Entertainment
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCigarette
Whoa you are really moving well. Must be exhilarating to finally be able to work full time on your games. So what's the future of pole force one and the other game that you started then? This is your 3rd game idea in a span of few months

Thanks! Yeah it really is exciting, I got lucky and had an old client project of mine come back to me with just enough hours that I can pay my bills while not being so overbearing that I can actually put full-time hours into my projects.

Yes, this is my third project I've posted about on here and while it probably gives a slight impression of jumping on the next big thing, it's actually been a learning process of being able to determine the scope and being strategic about the implications of that within a business perspective. Soliloquy of a Madman is my child, the big grande adventure story that I want to tell, but it will require a team of very talented artists so it's in my back pocket for now. Then I moved on to Pole Force One, with the intent to keep the scope small but I still had a project with a scope that will require a small team and since I'm not there yet, it's in my back pocket again.

With Hextraction, I now have a dedicate partner to help build the business and we purposefully put ourselves into the mindset of creating a project with a small enough scope that the two of us could make it while interfacing with a few key freelancers. I guess you could say I'm someone with a grande vision and at a few points along the way I've had to give myself a reality check and recognize that while I think my ideas are awesome and I will make them... it will take time. So at the moment, Hextraction is my baby and the next logical step towards my more lofty goals.

@shrunkendesigner - I don't have much to add other than to say that's looking amazing, seems you're in a very similar position as myself. Small team, a couple dedicated members interfacing with freelancers for some added bandwidth. Keep it up!

Old 03-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #23
shrunkendesigner
Frequenter

portfolio
Lloyd Harvey
Freelance Concept Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmoore3d
Yes, this is my third project I've posted about on here and while it probably gives a slight impression of jumping on the next big thing, it's actually been a learning process of being able to determine the scope and being strategic about the implications of that within a business perspective. Soliloquy of a Madman is my child, the big grande adventure story that I want to tell, but it will require a team of very talented artists so it's in my back pocket for now. Then I moved on to Pole Force One, with the intent to keep the scope small but I still had a project with a scope that will require a small team and since I'm not there yet, it's in my back pocket again.

I am guilty of this sort of thing. I start something with the grandest of ambitions, realise that I'm going to need many, many years to get it to a point where I could even think about releasing it, then I decide to work on a smaller project for a while.

I think we as creatives do have a tendency to bounce between personal projects, and there is a lot of talk I've read online about the importance of being a finisher. I think though, we start projects that are large in scale and then have to put them on the shelf because our understanding grows, and we realise that we don't yet have the resources, skill or extra hands to give those big projects the attention they deserve.

Quote:
With Hextraction, I now have a dedicate partner to help build the business and we purposefully put ourselves into the mindset of creating a project with a small enough scope that the two of us could make it while interfacing with a few key freelancers. I guess you could say I'm someone with a grande vision and at a few points along the way I've had to give myself a reality check and recognize that while I think my ideas are awesome and I will make them... it will take time. So at the moment, Hextraction is my baby and the next logical step towards my more lofty goals.

And you'll learn things with Hextraction that will only serve to benefit PF1 when you return to it. Also, while not working on PF1, PF1 will be sitting in the back of your mind, simmering and cooking away and, before you know it, you'll start having new ideas for the game, ready to be worked on when you return.

Quote:
@shrunkendesigner - I don't have much to add other than to say that's looking amazing, seems you're in a very similar position as myself. Small team, a couple dedicated members interfacing with freelancers for some added bandwidth. Keep it up!

Thank you, that very kind of you to say.

Yeah, me and Sam are of the mindset that if something is important to the success of the game, like animation and music, its best to pay a freelancer to provide it.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Old 03-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #24
shrunkendesigner
Frequenter

portfolio
Lloyd Harvey
Freelance Concept Artist

Quote:
I can appreciate Quirky the way I appreciate Super Mario 3D World and laugh with glee at how wonderful it is... .then I go back to play Borderlands 2... and love that in a more basic way.

It's like how I can appreciate Mozart...and say "This is a Master at work!" and then turn on Metallica in iTunes and rave about how "Death Magnetic" is the greatest thing in years.

I mean... you're talking to the guy who wants to make animation using girls-with-guns and everything blowing up. hehehe.

But see... bias doesn't impact appreciation. There are elements OniWorld ticks off that immediately conjure comparisons to Nintendo's output. You decide if that's a good thing.

Well, Oni World is a visual reflection of my interests, tastes and will make a lot of references to pop culture that is part of mine, and Sam's, make up. I think I realised a while ago that Oni World is a quirky cocktail of these things and I just don't fight the urge to put in things like the Star of Asteroth somewhere, or Milton's Red Stapler. Oni World is what it is.

I understand what you're saying though.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Old 03-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #25
grantmoore3d
Geek Extraordinaire

portfolio
Grant Moore
Creative Director
ComboMash Entertainment
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
I am guilty of this sort of thing. I start something with the grandest of ambitions, realise that I'm going to need many, many years to get it to a point where I could even think about releasing it, then I decide to work on a smaller project for a while.

I think we as creatives do have a tendency to bounce between personal projects, and there is a lot of talk I've read online about the importance of being a finisher. I think though, we start projects that are large in scale and then have to put them on the shelf because our understanding grows, and we realise that we don't yet have the resources, skill or extra hands to give those big projects the attention they deserve.

Yes, this has been my experience as well. I think the truth is that all creative people go through a period of this and you can either emerge from it having learned something which you can apply towards finishing your first project, or you give up and leave the project planning to someone else. Both results are fine, but for the entrepreneur (IP creators), you learning from it is crucial.

My personal takeaway is that yes, I absolutely need to follow through and finish a project. However, I feel that the dozens of un-finished projects I have sitting on my computer have incredible value. To me, starting a project and not finishing it has been (aside from learning how to scope a project) and opportunity to explore my own creativity and figure out which ideas had worth, value and were ones I could spend years working on it and which ones were not.

We're actually planning to build this creative exploration process into my company's culture where we will have a regular rotation of both staff and interns working on "throw away" games as part of the One Game A Month initiative. The idea is to give creative freedom to people to explore while getting paid and over the course of a year, 12 small tech demos will be the result. Chances are, one of those is going to have value and we're going to want to explore it further.

However, first I need to get some practice following through and actually releasing a title! I've finished plenty of big projects for clients, but releasing a game to the public is a huge beast I need to conquer first. Which is why we're focusing on Hextraction right now!

Old 03-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #26
ilovekaiju
Expert
portfolio

CONCEPT: I love Kaiju
CATEGORY: web comics

PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
3 Kaiju on a journey through dimensions trying to stop a rogue "power ranger" trying to break the 4th wall and the tale of a young mans journey to become the worlds best suit actor

WHAT WENT RIGHT:
I was inspired by a book called Anomaly. Check it out folks!
I have also been able to start my Kickstarter and it is live.
Scott over at The Dreamland Chronicles gave me a shout out which was
Cool because I've been following the Dreamland Chronicles or years.
I still need help on promoting it. Hey Pyke you've ran a successful campaign, any advice? Or mind sharing the wealth j/k about the last part. Unless you want to and then I'm not kidding. Lol.

Here it is if anyone interested.
Oops nevermind. I forgot it was forbidden to post kickstarter stuff.
Sorry. It is so hard these days to promote when no one allows it but rules are rules.

WHAT WENT WRONG:
Slow start

SHOW AND TELL
I'll have more cool stuff next time.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #27
redCigarette
I.

portfolio
ishan shukla
Generalist
India

shrunkendesigner,

Thanks a lot for the wishes

grantmoore3d, shrunkendesigner,
I agree. I myself have half a dozen unfinished projects . And TBH they have really helped in one way or the other in my current one. Being a finisher is a great thing, but jumping between projects can also prove to be quite valuable in long run.

ilovekaiju,
Good luck with the Kickstarter.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #28
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

@redCigarette:

This one's for you:

Shia La Beouf wears Paper Bag mask to film premiere of his new film NYMPHOMANIAC.

P.S.: Congrats on the Wedding!

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 03-11-2014 at 12:00 AM.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #29
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Well, Oni World is a visual reflection of my interests, tastes and will make a lot of references to pop culture that is part of mine, and Sam's, make up. I think I realised a while ago that Oni World is a quirky cocktail of these things and I just don't fight the urge to put in things like the Star of Asteroth somewhere, or Milton's Red Stapler. Oni World is what it is.

I understand what you're saying though.

I think that's true of all the things we are able to make.... It has to appeal to some kind of "basic likes" that we see in even the small things. It certainly doesn't blind us to other things but some things we can appreciate we just cannot make ourselves.

For example, I came away from seeing THE GREEN MILE thinking it was one of the greatest films I had ever seen. But when asked: "Can you make something like that? Or would you write one like it?" I said: "No. I can't."

I loved THE GREEN MILE, but it is so far from all the "basic likes" that I have that I wouldn't be able to make one whole that was like it.... with the whole UTI problem and the crying, and the cruelty with the electric chair...and the horror that came after...

But the scene with the shotgun... YES! I can do that. lol.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 03-11-2014 at 12:09 AM.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:44 AM   #30
Lomax
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jared Lindquist
Technical Animator
Limited Slip Studio
Orlando, United%2BStates

Quote:
@redCigarette:

This one's for you:

Shia La Beouf wears Paper Bag mask to film premiere of his new film NYMPHOMANIAC.

P.S.: Congrats on the Wedding!

Shia, you filthy tease. If you only knew how many people want to believe you...

reply share thread