Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkherow
That's not quite correct Laa-Yosh, this was taken from wiki and I vaguely remember they were scanning fossils too-

I think that was the cartoon version - I recall the comic version was that they were after ShockWave or so. Consistency has never really been a strong point, after all the stories were all created to sell more toys

Quote:
I wonder if the dinobots will appear in robot form in this installment?

There's supposed to be a silhouette of Grimlock in robot form.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:30 AM   #47
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixanaut
Them being a construct by the Autobots, built as intellectually flawed and designed as dinosaurs because their creator was 'inspired by fossils' makes more sense within the logic of the Transformers universe... but even that is laughably thin.

Indeed. In the end, the real explanation is "Some toy designer in Japan came up with these Gold/Silver dinosaur robots... and they were shoe-horned into a story designed to sell more toys.

As for all the speculation of Dinobots in the new TRANSFORMERS film?

I have one bold prediction:

The "Dinobots" (because they aren't really dinosaurs) are all Made in China and led by the Fan Bing Bing character. Grimlock himself already looks like a "Chinese T-Rex" with the elements coming from dragons and what not. They will explain it away with some loose logic on the same level as the cartoon, except they'll probably replace Wheeljack and Ratchet with the China Military Industrial complex.

They will also speak in broken English - just like in the cartoons - but this time it will be because they are "Non-American Transformers" or perhaps because China had not yet perfected the development of Transformers AI.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 02-15-2014 at 12:28 AM.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #48
SplittingPixels

I half expect Bay's rendition of Grimlock to have the T-Rex as robot mode and transform into a Russian Zubr or something... ;D I'd never seen anything resembling the flying two-header before, but a friend pointed me to the Autobot DoubleCross who's a perfect match.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:32 AM   #49
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplittingPixels
I half expect Bay's rendition of Grimlock to have the T-Rex as robot mode and transform into a Russian Zubr or something... ;D I'd never seen anything resembling the flying two-header before, but a friend pointed me to the Autobot DoubleCross who's a perfect match.

That idea is also not out of the question because I know that the producers working on this film series are always obsessing about what new thing they can introduce.

The first one was the transformers themselves.
And in the second film it was gestalts.... and one Pretender trying to kill Shia La Beouf by making out with him.

I don't know what it was for the third -maybe the weaponized vehicle forms?

The fourth - dinobots/dinosaur robot transformers.

I personally think they missed a trick. The fourth film should have featured Triple-Changers. This is because ILM's transformation solution actually would allow robots to change into two objects. You cannot possibly make out the alternate form anymore in robot mode anyway.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:53 AM   #50
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Regarding the dino-forms etc. thing that always bugged me about the new methodology Bayformers have for choosing their vehicle or other forms is that they can do it on the fly and rescan and change at will, it's almost like the vehicle exteriors are partial holograms.

But if that's the case, why keep the same vehicle forms at all, if they're trying to hide? The Decepticons are the only ones who ever really hide successfully anyway, so who cares?

And if they can become flawless humans, or nanites, why haven't they taken over the world easily by now?

Oh, wait, nevermind, this is just one of countless completely nonsensical things about this series. Just repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #51
Darkherow
Expert
portfolio
W Lee
United Kingdom

Why the transformers aren't in human form, is because they won't look cool then. Well the thing is, tranformers have taken human form before but with disastrous effect.

Here's a close up, I wonder who might you be-

Old 02-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #52
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkherow
Why the transformers aren't in human form, is because they won't look cool then. Well the thing is, tranformers have taken human form before but with disastrous effect.

Here's a close up, I wonder who might you be-

Mitt Romney as Ultra Magnus?

I'd ask why they all became space plumbers, but future fashion was as bad as anything else in the 80s.

I didn't know they did that on the new series, too - meh.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:17 AM   #53
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadArtist
Mark Wahlberg > Shia Labeouf

I'm cautiously excited.

Quote for agreement.

I totally like him as an actor. I've seen him doing all sort of stuff (Drama, Comedy, Action Comedy, etc) and he did it well.

His money shot was in May Payne when snow turned into fire storm. That was awesome!

Old 02-17-2014, 12:07 AM   #54
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablefox
Quote for agreement.

I totally like him as an actor. I've seen him doing all sort of stuff (Drama, Comedy, Action Comedy, etc) and he did it well.

His money shot was in May Payne when snow turned into fire storm. That was awesome!

I don't see how turning snow into fire was Mark Wahlberg's doing.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:16 AM   #55
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

This is interesting, obviously some of the toys are far off from the film versions, but you can get some idea of the dinobots and others forms.

There's a definite medieval fantasy or ancient japan / anime vibe all over the new characters, especially whoever the Veyron is. Did Bay watch a lot of Escaflowne?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02...804be4e3a000018

The first pic is a click through slideshow, that's where all the relevant transformers are.

Also, namedrop there, Galvatron is in this, and he's also a truck? WTF?

Doesn't look like that would be Ultra Magnus.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:03 AM   #56
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Looking at the toy designs.... I think my "Chinese Dinobots" theory is gathering steam.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:18 AM   #57
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

I find it extremely far fetched even in his universe that humans would be able to make transformers, especially after all that business about the AllSpark. Of course it hasn't stopped them from "finding" many "old and unknown" transformers, or disregarding every rule when they want to.

I think the idea they are from/in China, and took their forms from there, millions of years ago or not, would make sense, but no way were they made there.

But hey the french-german supercar transforms into a giant samurai warrior, anything can happen.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:42 AM   #58
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercube
I find it extremely far fetched even in his universe that humans would be able to make transformers, especially after all that business about the AllSpark. Of course it hasn't stopped them from "finding" many "old and unknown" transformers, or disregarding every rule when they want to.

I think the idea they are from/in China, and took their forms from there, millions of years ago or not, would make sense, but no way were they made there.

But hey the french-german supercar transforms into a giant samurai warrior, anything can happen.

My main idea is that they would be "China-affiliated"... I not only base this theory on the designs, or the fact that Chinese firms are funding the movie.. but also from the positive result from Pacific Rim's promo when they ran a poster in China showing off that "China has a Jaeger in this movie".

So maybe the Chinese government didn't make them. But I'm thinking Grimlock being the leader of a team of Chinese Super-Robots (who are good guys!) will appeal to the film's Chinese market chances.

AND it will explain the "Me Grimlock" style of broken English to appease the G1-ers.

Still not too impossible that the dinobots would be made in China.... It would be preposterous, sure... but a throwaway line like "China has unlocked the secrets of the AllSpark shards!" and then the robots come out with broken speech....and having the IQ of a child....

... And as the dinobots act "slow" and "stupid", one of the Chinese scientists serves the punchline: "It's a work in progress."

That's probably in line with the style of the previous films....

Again, not thinking in terms of "does it make sense".. only in terms of "What has Michael Bay gotten away with before?"

The guy has come a long way in that department from the "Will Smith should run with his shirt open even if it makes no sense" gag.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 02-17-2014 at 06:50 AM.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #59
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
I don't see how turning snow into fire was Mark Wahlberg's doing.

I know you are kidding, but I'm not talking about the snow - but his acting in that situation. I think he's getting all those cool film jobs by having that scene, and only that scene, on his 'previous job dvd'.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #60
Darkherow
Expert
portfolio
W Lee
United Kingdom

Well I thought the gunface was going to be Galvatron oh well. Possibly was originally designed to be Galvatron but someone decided to change it. I still think Grimlock looks like the Zoid I posted on page 2.

However I'm getting the feeling that Galvatron will be rebuilt by Quintessons rather than Unicron but that we'll have to wait and see.

reply share thread