CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad74
Don't worry, you are not the only one. I've skipped all of them

The first one wasn't bad. It wasn't great. Just OK.

The second one gave me a headache. And for the third I chose to just watch a YouTube video of "All the transformations in TF3" to satisfy myself with what I missed.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:10 AM   #32
vlad74
Expert
portfolio
Vladimir Venkov
freelancer
East Grinstead, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
The first one wasn't bad. It wasn't great. Just OK.

The second one gave me a headache. And for the third I chose to just watch a YouTube video of "All the transformations in TF3" to satisfy myself with what I missed.

I went to see the first one and left the cinema after 20 mins. It was too cliché for me - acting, dialogs, music. I am quite picky when it comes to movies. The cg work was great.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:15 AM   #33
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad74
I went to see the first one and left the cinema after 20 mins. It was too cliché for me - acting, dialogs, music. I am quite picky when it comes to movies. The cg work was great.

I personally don't mind cliche as long as it's "proper cliche". But even by that standard not everything in the first film worked well.

I see "cliche" and "tropes" as elements of structure. It's like I don't find an essay or article offensive if it uses known figures of speech like the same metaphors or the same similes as previous ones.

But the first film was far from perfect. That I'll admit.

CG work was, of course, very good. But I had trouble agreeing with the idea that each of the robots "needed" 10,000 parts and had to look like walking piles of metal. But ILM definitely made it all work within their mandate.

P.S.: Trying to think what was the "20th minute" of the film. There were definitely a number of moments in the film where I was kind of "deducting points" from the film and there are a few particular ones that are really awkward - even with my level of tolerance.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 02-07-2014 at 04:26 AM.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:30 AM   #34
Tamagoo
Frequenter
portfolio
Nerijus
Reseda, United States Minor Outlying Islands

I enjoyed the first one, the adaptation was done to the 21st century standards. But what killed the following was the comedic nonsense in what seemed to should have been a serious movie. So as always, first installments are done with a serious intent and the following is just the milking of the success. A very typical pattern. And robot dinos, well I might just have to pass on that as it sounds silly, maybe a dvd watch .

Old 02-07-2014, 07:23 AM   #35
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamagoo
I enjoyed the first one, the adaptation was done to the 21st century standards. But what killed the following was the comedic nonsense in what seemed to should have been a serious movie. So as always, first installments are done with a serious intent and the following is just the milking of the success. A very typical pattern. And robot dinos, well I might just have to pass on that as it sounds silly, maybe a dvd watch .

I personally would have wanted to remove the entire "Hacker Kids" section and just replace it (VFX cost aside) with scenes of the Decepticons deliberating their next moves.

I would have also wanted such scene to establish Decepticon motives for coming to Earth: Finding the AllSpark (which would be only the 2nd or 3rd time a main plot item is talked about so very much within the Bruckheimer ethos of "say it again for the audience benefit").

An added nod to the series would be that when one of the Decepticons suggests Megatron may still be found on Earth, Starscream should break out with that famous line:

"Megatron is dead! I am the leader now!"

The whole "Signal" deciphering, donuts, Wolverine scratches gag arc wasn't useful anyway. The signal was a whole pile of nothing. But the Aussie girl was OK.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #36
paintbox
Waiting for pixels to dry

portfolio
PT PT
Artist / Illustrator
Intergalactic Freelancer
Netherlands

What I cannot commend highly enough is the sound design in the first movie (and all others), while it is mainstream and overused now, it really made an impact. So I would say the sound design was on par or even better than the CGI.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #37
Darkherow
Expert
portfolio
W Lee
United Kingdom

Since watching the trailer, seeing grimlock and the bird like transformer, is it just a coincidence that their designs are very similar and especially with grimlock, to those of Zoids Genesis. As nobody has mentioned this, maybe because it's an obscure and old tv anime series that many won't have heard of, let alone watched.

For those that don't know it's a japanese anime series that airred back in 2005-2006, that's about a group of zoid(they are like giant animal robots that can come in dinosaur forms, similar to power ranger zords but quite different in design) pilots banding together to fighting against an evil nation trying to conquer the world with Biozoids.

The main similarity is with the Biozoids, most of them have chrome plating and very skeleton like designs, here's a list and images of biozoids that featured in Zoids Genesis-
http://zoids.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Bio_Zoids

The main one that looked similar to grimlock was the zoid called Mother Bio(also listed on the zoids wiki site), although never appeared on the TV series, the toy was released after the series finished airring. There's also a Bio Tyranno that looks similar too(it's also on the wiki page too). Here's two images of mother bio.

The thing is, I don't know if this is correct, I think Tomy the makers of zoids also make the molds for the transformers.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:17 AM   #38
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

So the Dinobots don't really turn into dinosaurs.

They just turn into Japan-Monsters.. you know... like Kaiju.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:33 AM   #39
Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

Actually, Zoid toys go back as far as the '80s. And all these robot toy/anime designs are pretty much cross referencing each other, so it's kinda hard to tell who was first with what...

Old 02-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #40
Pixanaut
Secure and Secret.
Not gonna tell ya.
Canada

Can someone please explain why the dinobots are cool? I mean, isn't the whole concept of transforming supposed to be so that they can hide in plain sight? And if that's they're normal form, why do they look like our dinosaurs if they're from another planet?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #41
Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

They were cool for any 8-years old watching the cartoons and playing with the toys. I don't know how that could require any further explanation

As for why dinosaurs, my memories are not entirely clear but it was like this... The robots originally came to Earth in prehistoric times, crashing with a big starship that got buried. The onboard computer managed to activate a few of them millions of years ago, and in that age the dinosaurs were still alive, so it made sense to chose them as an alternate form.

Then again, Michael Bay will probably ignore it all... that dinobot in the trailer is already at least 10-15x as big as it should be

Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #42
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixanaut
Can someone please explain why the dinobots are cool? I mean, isn't the whole concept of transforming supposed to be so that they can hide in plain sight? And if that's they're normal form, why do they look like our dinosaurs if they're from another planet?

Actually the reason Transformers were cool was because they turned into ordinary objects. The toy line that launched it all were based on the principle of "You get two toys for the price of one". A cool robot and a fantastic, realistic, die-cast metal vehicle (with rubber tyres!), or cap gun, or something.

The reason why it's cool would be because you see what looks like an everyday car turn into a giant robot and it fuels the imagination.

There's a reason why Hot Rod, Kup, or all those other robots that "turned into weird non-existent things" were intrinsically less iconic.

Beyond that were the Monster/Dinosaur thingees.. . But I honestly believed Grimlock couldn't have launched the franchise as well as those first line of toys which captured the imagination of "What if that car running on the street was really a giant robot?"

Old 02-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #43
ThePumpkinKing
I sink your battleship!

portfolio
Ian Vincent Shuff
USA

It's going to be terrible. The story is going to be terrible, the badly designed robots (which are badly designed not because the concept artists aren't great but because Michael Bay is clearly telling them to go for a terrible look) are going to fight in set pieces that don't make any cohesive sense, and I'm going to see it like 9 times.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #44
Darkherow
Expert
portfolio
W Lee
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh
As for why dinosaurs, my memories are not entirely clear but it was like this... The robots originally came to Earth in prehistoric times, crashing with a big starship that got buried. The onboard computer managed to activate a few of them millions of years ago, and in that age the dinosaurs were still alive, so it made sense to chose them as an alternate form.

That's not quite correct Laa-Yosh, this was taken from wiki and I vaguely remember they were scanning fossils too-

Quote:
The Dinobots in the original Transformers cartoon were built on Earth by the Autobots Wheeljack and Ratchet. Seismic activity near the Ark resulted in Ironhide's discovery of dinosaur bones, and Wheeljack was inspired to build the dinosaur-based Transformers: Grimlock, Slag, and Sludge, collectively called the Dinobots. They were incapable of any cognitive reasoning, and even failed their first simple task assigned by Ratchet when activated as seen in "S.O.S. Dinobots". They immediately turn on the Autobots like wild animals, and nearly destroyed the Ark, forcing Optimus Prime to order their destruction. Wheeljack's Magnetic Inducer was the only thing that stopped them. Being nearly indestructible, the next alternative was to seal them away forever, deactivated. That same day the Autobots were caught off guard by a Decepticon ambush. Their friends having been captured and on the verge of destruction, Wheeljack makes a snap decision and installs the upgrades to the Dinobot's Brains just before sending them in to their initial engagement against the Decepticons. Upon their arrival and subsequent victory over the Decepticons, Optimus Prime agrees the Dinobots shall remain among them.

After reading that, it's possible Michael Bay might go in the direction of none talking dinobots and act like animals until they get domesticated by the Autobots but who knows what goes through his mind apart from explosions. I wonder if the dinobots will appear in robot form in this installment? Since there's a possible 5th and 6th, you know I bracing myself for when we'll see the appearance of the Headmasters, I wonder if the actors will perform some weird yoga to change into a giant head?

Any ways in my opinion, I think why Hot Rod's generation of transformers felt less iconic wasn't just because of the thing they tranformed into, but the fans of the series grew up with the first line of robots. After the Animated Movie(it could be said as a device used to create a new line of robots), all the original transformers were all killed in action and they couldn't relate to any of the transformers.

I do believe that the first ever mecha show was the original Astro Boy and mecha evolved from there. As for the first ever functional transforming robot, I believe that would be Brave Raideen.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #45
Pixanaut
Secure and Secret.
Not gonna tell ya.
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Actually the reason Transformers were cool was because they turned into ordinary objects. The toy line that launched it all were based on the principle of "You get two toys for the price of one". A cool robot and a fantastic, realistic, die-cast metal vehicle (with rubber tyres!), or cap gun, or something.

The reason why it's cool would be because you see what looks like an everyday car turn into a giant robot and it fuels the imagination.

There's a reason why Hot Rod, Kup, or all those other robots that "turned into weird non-existent things" were intrinsically less iconic.

Beyond that were the Monster/Dinosaur thingees.. . But I honestly believed Grimlock couldn't have launched the franchise as well as those first line of toys which captured the imagination of "What if that car running on the street was really a giant robot?"

Yeah, I get why Autobots are cool... I was just confused as to what makes the dinobots cool. Honestly, they were a thinly veiled attempt to sell more toys at the time and they remain such. Dinosaurs are cool, but robot dinosaurs within the Transformers universe was never something that seemed right to me because it goes against the internal logic.

Them choosing to take dino form because they were here 100 million years ago doesn't make sense because there would have been no real threat to them, and no intelligent life around that would make it necessary to hide in plain sight (as the Autobots do).

Them being a construct by the Autobots, built as intellectually flawed and designed as dinosaurs because their creator was 'inspired by fossils' makes more sense within the logic of the Transformers universe... but even that is laughably thin.

Beyond that... I just didn't know if there was something incredibly cool about the dinobots that I missed growing up.

Ultimately, I do realize that this is all Transformers and taking it at all seriously is foolish at best, but I still believe that things and events should still be plausible within the confines of the universe that you create for your storytelling.

So before everyone starts flaming me for calling out on what I feel is silly within the Transformers universe, understand that my critique is more about universe-building, rather than Transformers specifically.

As for T4... I'll see it, because I've endured the last 3, and I feel it's like climbing Mt. Everest... there's hardship on the way to the summit, but the view at the end hopefully makes it all worthwhile. Unless there's fog. Then you're screwed.

reply share thread