Best rendering

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2013   #1
Best rendering

So I feel that like a lot of people out their my art is not truly shown to its full potential unless it is rendered to its maximum quality. Personally as an artist, I want to be an artist in my modeling process I should not spend the most time in the boring technical stuff. Such as retopologizing and setting up UV maps. Rendering is on the same list. I don’t want to spend an entire day tweaking settings and waiting hoping that I got a good render. I want to resolve this once and for all I just want to pop it in and get great quality. So here are all the rendering programs that I have tried and my experience with it.

1. BPR in Zbrush

a. Pros: can get some great render using a high poly model.

b. Cons: fancy stuff like transparent surfaces, and emissive surfaces, not always done correctly or of the best quality. Few materials based of real object qualities, offered but you can make them. HDRI projections, not very accurate. Very limited and overly complicated animation function (based on layers).

2. Marmoset studio

a. Pros: Gives you a great in game engine preview, quick to set up, accurate HDRI functionality, affordable price tag, no rendering here everything is in real time.

b. Cons: Transparency maps still not very glass like, Different materials are placed on separate objects in a model and not separate material subtools, making it difficult to rig and pose a character in 3ds max. Animations often work poorly

3. Vray in 3ds max or maya

a. Pros: Since it’s a plugin in most popular modeling programs it skips a step of having to export your model. This program also features tons of materials for any kind of surface. It does SSS more accurately than any other program I know.

b. Cons: renders can take a long time to complete, and lighting can take a while to set up since vray features its own lighting tools.

4. Mental ray in 3ds max or maya

a. Vray is better, don’t waste your time

5. Keystone

a. Still experimenting with this one

6. Octane

a. Still experimenting with this one

So what do you guys think, is the best way to get a good render quickly

Old 11 November 2013   #2
Originally Posted by VisceralD: 5. Keystone

Do you mean Keyshot? As you are using ZBrush, there is a Keyshot Goz plugin on the way, currently a beta test plugin is available. It allows all subtools or single ones to be Goz'd to Keyshot complete with textures, fibremesh etc.Try it and you may be surprised at the speed and quality of the renders.

Old 11 November 2013   #3
I'd vote for Keyshot. Modelers in my studio who had no idea how to light/render are producing super nice result out of it. It's probably the best choice if you don't want to go through all the look dev and optimization stuff required in most render engines.

If you're going for render speed (and don't mind setting up/trouble shooting) then GPU render engines are really appealing. We're testing Furryball, Redshift and Octane here and having quite a lot of fun. Our preference right now is #1 Furryball because it's the only one that supports hair/fur, and #2 Redshift for its similarity to V-ray.

Old 11 November 2013   #4
Originally Posted by VisceralD: I want to be an artist in my modeling process I should not spend the most time in the boring technical stuff.

From what I've been hearing and seeing generalists are getting the jobs more so than anyone else. Unless you want to model strictly with Clay then sorry you gonna have to learn boring technical stuff because your tool is founded on boring technical stuff. If you want to be an artist on the computer than you have to understand the computer it's that simple. I don't see why an artist wouldn't want to embrace the technology that they're creating on and dive as deep as possible into it to create the best possible art. True artists don't mind getting their hands dirty or in our case learning a bit of code.

If we think back to the Renaissance and what artist did to improve their craft like cutting open dead people etc. then diving a little bit deeper into code and technical stuff really isn't a big deal for us is it?

Old 11 November 2013   #5
I cant agree more with gauranga108

The more you know, the more you do... (i dont know if ti translate well in english, it's a french expressions) Bottom line, you bether know more than less.

Old 11 November 2013   #6
Ok

So you say keystone is the easiest but not the best quality if i have the time, right.

Old 11 November 2013   #7
No, render from Keyshots are amazing.

http://keyshot.com/vitaly-bulgarov-...phoenix-project

It's probably the best one if you want to get your idea out nicely and quickly or do stills. Drag and drop shaders from huge libraries, slide your lights and environments, and bam you see the result super fast.

Only if your model will be used in animation, ie: picked up by characters and tossed around, then you or your team will need to set up another shaders in your animation/rendering application.

Old 11 November 2013   #8
Did my comparative research today

Did my comparative research today, what do you guys think

Last edited by VisceralD : 11 November 2013 at 08:46 AM.

Old 11 November 2013   #9
I would say it's kinda useless... Any render engine can produce good results in experienced hands. What's more important is the workflow they offer and if they render what you need. So get your hands dirty and start rendering. That's the only way to tell if the engine is right for you.

And real time rendering is still a rendering.

Old 11 November 2013   #10
I agree

Originally Posted by Panupat: I would say it's kinda useless... Any render engine can produce good results in experienced hands. What's more important is the workflow they offer and if they render what you need. So get your hands dirty and start rendering. That's the only way to tell if the engine is right for you.

And real time rendering is still a rendering.

I agree I'm just doing this study simply because I have played around with various rendered and want to invest my time in to mastering a renderer. So simply if I'm going to invest my time in to mastering something it better be a good tool and efficient in my workflow.

Old 11 November 2013   #11
hope moderators will forgive my trolling ...

you could also give a try to the best ...
http://www.maxwellrender.com/

Cheers

E

Old 11 November 2013   #12
Results

Here are some of my best results for of rendering

Any advise for better rendering would be much appreciated

Last edited by VisceralD : 11 November 2013 at 10:06 AM.

Old 11 November 2013   #13
since when is vray "slow" ?

Website

Facebook

DeviantART

Old 11 November 2013   #14
Originally Posted by Eimer: since when is vray "slow" ?

since 1997 ? just kidding...

portfolio - www.shaidacher.com
Vimeo - vimeo.com/deroesi

game project - moldgame.wordpress.com

WIPs - theremoteguy.tumblr.com

Old 11 November 2013   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread