Free Particle

portfolio
Sergio Muciño
Rigging Artist
Rodeo FX
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
On a more serious note, why reinvent the wheel? Do we really need another entire package?.

Going back on topic for a second, this is exactly what I was thinking. Why don't you take a look at Blender, for example, which has all of its source code available, and see if you can build upon it? Maybe it will provide a more efficient avenue, and benefit the Blender community at the same time. I don't know the ins and outs of what you're trying to accomplish either, so it's just a blind suggestion.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #17
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Dr. R. D. Charbonneau A.Ph.D.
Astrophysicist
Charbonneau Arts & Research
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ
There are a lot of things I'd like to see but I'd have to say that top of the list is a 24 foot high angel skeleton.

Wild idea! Size is relative, naturally, but consider this. As I was walking back from up town this morning, I considered the genetic level in a piece of software. DNA is only a small component of genetics. It is so complex, though, that the most powerful supercomputers of today are just beginning to establish the taxonomy of its sequences. There is even evidence of alien DNA that has some just like ours.

To take a humanoid and give it wings may be as simple as having a choice of code variations that revive some of the so-called "junk" DNA. Instead of growing a CG figure from bones, it may be better to take it to one more basic step. Cellular reproduction. That would be a challenge.

Thanx for the idea!

Old 11-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCharbonneau
It should be obvious that isn't what I mean. I've already written one parametric type of CAD program. It took a little over a year, working on an ATIA basis. This would be more of a parametric mesh type modeler. The first efforts of most programmers are not a team project and my experiences discourage teamwork, so just consider that I don't care about the competition or megabucks. I've been writing graphics for 20 years now, starting with QBasic and POVRay. In that I have a good idea of what's out there more than all the shortcomings of all of those 99 programmers. I'm leaving it to others to list those shortcomings and maybe we'll see what I can come up with by the end of 2016.

I'm really wanting to know what others want in a CG modeler. One thing I could imagine is a universal rigging export system.

If youre working alone and actively hate teamwork, then you will only ever go so far. All of the one-man products limit their scope very specifically to a single area, nurbs modellers, poly modeller, sculpting, opencl render engine etc. Making a full blown 3d app with modelling, animation, rigging etc is just not realistic. Looking back at recent entrants, to get a 3d app from scratch up to a point where people will buy it and use it, youre looking at about a decade of work for a team of people.

In a nutshell you are grossly underestimating how much work goes into such an app. Good luck and all, but youre mad.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Astrophysicist
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonman2
Going back on topic for a second, this is exactly what I was thinking. Why don't you take a look at Blender, for example, which has all of its source code available, and see if you can build upon it? Maybe it will provide a more efficient avenue, and benefit the Blender community at the same time. I don't know the ins and outs of what you're trying to accomplish either, so it's just a blind suggestion.

That's a thought, too. Blender has recently started working on "BlenderCAD." Promising, but feeble so far. If I want to make the new software compatible with Blender, I'll have to study the source. That's a given.

What I'm looking for here are ideas. Personally I want a program that I can model what I want, print out a set of plans, render it and probably even send parts to a 3D printer. All under one roof.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Astrophysicist
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
If youre working alone and actively hate teamwork, then you will only ever go so far. All of the one-man products limit their scope very specifically to a single area, nurbs modellers, poly modeller, sculpting, opencl render engine etc. Making a full blown 3d app with modelling, animation, rigging etc is just not realistic. Looking back at recent entrants, to get a 3d app from scratch up to a point where people will buy it and use it, youre looking at about a decade of work for a team of people.

In a nutshell you are grossly underestimating how much work goes into such an app. Good luck and all, but youre mad.

I would remind you that teams OFTEN fail miserably. Two or three at most is controllable. Even if all team members are writing exe's or dll's somewhere one of them will make a class private, possibly by mistake, so unusable to the rest till it's rewritten. We have so many OS's out there that are standardized in their interfaces, yet have inherent class privatization that if someone favors Unix, for example, they'll create problems with Windows API and vice versa.

Mad? Perhaps, but madmen often invent things like paddlewheel boats from rowboats, step up coils that make plasma, and other forms of artificial lightning, and capacitance, without which we wouldn't have CG, let alone an Internet.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #21
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

I apologise for participating in sidetracking your thread with something that's ultimately off topic, but the fact remains that, by your own admission on that other site, you do not have a PhD. Placing an unexplained A in front of it in your profile here doesn't make your representation of yourself in any way less dishonest; there is no such thing as an autodidactic PhD, and by putting the term "PhD" in your profile, you're actively attempting to misrepresent yourself to users here as something you're not. I am not going to argue this with you, because the fact is that you do not possess a doctorate and therefore have no right to call yourself a doctor or claim to hold a PhD. That's the last I will mention it in this thread though, as I acknowledge that it is unfair to use your thread to discuss it.

In short, I don't apologise for what I'm saying, but I do apologise for using your thread to say it. Suffice to say that I think you should consider removing the PhD from your CGTalk profile information.

I'll stay out of your thread now.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #22
KeyCZ
Veteran

portfolio
Ondrej Karlik
Founding Partner
Render Legion s.r.o.
Czech Republic

Send a message via ICQ to KeyCZ

I'd like:
1) Blender with free licence (e.g. MIT, not the GPL bullshit) and without the fanboys,
2) pony for Christmas, and
3) more threads like this, I am laughing so hard right now!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #23
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

Before this thread gets locked, I would like to make a (long) point.

In a modern context, I agree that it is wholly inappopriate to label yourself as something you are not. There are formalities and technicalities when it comes to such things. One of the purposes to attending accredited institutions is to establish some common ground.

It's not as if I can wave a wand and make Leigh a neurobiologist. It doesn't work that way. I'm not qualified to bring her up to the standards in that area. That's why these institutions exist; not just to bust balls for a span of years, but to set a bar and provide some level of cross-institutional uniformity.

These credentials allow me to differentiate an enthusiast from a true professional. This is to weed out the unqualified quacks.

Having said that, although I believe that this "piece of paper" should decide whether or not you can carry that PhD title, I also believe that self-education is a very powerful thing.

IMO, I feel as if it is entirely possible to be as qualified as a PhD without ever having gone through the formalities of it all. I do. It requires an insane level of self-discipline, but it's possible.

Just because these institutions exist doesn't mean that they're the one and only fountain of knowledge. Most of history's greatest minds learned stuff that wasn't on any syllabus. Knowledge and learning predate schools. Just because you leave school doesn't mean that the process has to end. You can keep learning and even innovating on your own time.

I'm not going to mock Mr. Charbonneau. It's not my place. I don't think that he should be calling himself a doctor, as I am unable to verify whether or not he meets the required criteria. However, I'm not going to mock him.

On a personal level, I consider myself a science enthusiast with intense passions for theoretical physics & electrical/mechanical engineering. I had once considered majoring in physics and was even accepted to MIT back in the day, though I could not attend due to financial reasons.

I simply LOVE phsyics and have a knack for it. I'm the type of guy who keeps personal journals & digital white boards. My idea of relaxing consists of so-called "thought experiments" and doing the math for this independent research. I've been hardore into physics for 26 years, since I was 13yo. I even taught myself Calculus to such a level that I had already qualified for 3rd year college credit by the time I was 18. Like I said, I have a passion for these all things revolving around science.

NB: As a 7yo, I'd routinely disassemble the household electronics and rewire them into new devices. It really frustrated my parent to no end when I was a child. They eventually had to break down and get me my own electronics supplies and tools.

I "get" how somebody could be qualified without a degree. It's entirely possible. Knowledge isn't something you can confine to buildings. HOWEVER, because I don't have the credentials, I would NEVER call myself a doctor of such & such. I am a "man of science", not a PhD. To suggest otherwise would be unethical and likely illegal. People trust these titles and degrees. They believe what the people with them say, often to a fault.

Respectfully, Mr. Charbonneau, you may be a man of science, but you are no doctor. It is a blatant act of misrepresentation. Don't allow yourself to get recognized and singled out for the wrong reasons.

TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC....

As friendly as scripting is, you're always better off with a lower level language for something like this. Whenever you've got math intensive operations, you want to avoid the middle man wherever possible. Every ounce of performance counts. I'm much more fond of C/C++ and ASM. The performance benefits are that much greater, especially as the amount of manipulated data increases. You'll hit your bottleneck much quicker with Python.

A few of the things I'd like to see:

- Metrics that matter beyond the labels
- Greater floating point precision.
- Surfaces based on user defined formulae.
- A white board type note taking system.
- Project organization.
- A high level math interpreter/calculator
- Decent support for 3D printers & other rapid prototypers
- Support for at least the most common import/export formats.
- Auto save
- Crash reporting & recovery

For a CAD/CAM/CAE, the laundry list is practically endless here. I'd love the simplicity of something like AutoCAD or Cinema4D, but the higher focus on math and customization of something like Maple.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #24
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination

Oh, I agree. I've programmed a number of apps on my own over the years. They are very labor intensive. The amount of discipline required to maintain focus and meet goals is just insane. Most people can't do it. More over, you're likely to fall behind the curve once you do finish. It does take a team to build something large scale. That's why, at this point in my life, I only focus on tiny helper apps and plugins for my own use. I can't waste the next 3 years trying to build something that will only be "good", at best. If you want to design something truly cutting edge, something that really fills these wish lists, you have to throw more hands and brains at the problem. There's strength in numbers.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #25
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Astrophysicist
USA

Quote:
Respectfully, Mr. Charbonneau, you may be a man of science, but you are no doctor. It is a blatant act of misrepresentation. Don't allow yourself to get recognized and singled out for the wrong reasons.

As I have propounded continuously, a circuit court judge disagreed with you. Illegal is for someone to claim the Ph.D. from somewhere they never attended or, especially, to practice medicine. The judge apparently saw no harm, so didn't fine or otherwise reprimand me. Non of you are judges.

In Webster's Student addition dictionary, 70's vintage I think, the 5th definition of doctor is simply "an educated man." The root word itself means teacher. One knows if they are entitled to, thus right to demand as I have, the title of Philosophical Doctor. Autodidactic simply adds the "self appointment" issue honestly. Perhaps I'm the first to stand up against academic forms of oppression. I do have the right to the title and will argue that no further, but to satisfy the ones who mention my lax profile, I'll update that ATIA.

As for the languages, I see Python as LisP language, although there is Py2Exe. For it to be included as a LisP, would keep with current conventions. Most of your list is already in mind.

There are some good ideas showing up, but I imagine once the institution mindset (reminding those that some of the deeper thoughts in that other site thread suggest institutions may not exist before long as we know them today...) decides it is less narcissistic to assume the title of doctor than genius or even artist (how many of you can really draw, paint and cast realistic shadows into a rendering without these machines?), perhaps some of you will be using one particular app or another and think of something. An example is the "k" rip key in Blender. There's no constraining key so one can align the rip to an axis. Things like that tend to demand a trip back to the code editor, since the CG software is now the proverbial drawing board.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #26
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Astrophysicist
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookepuss
Oh, I agree. I've programmed a number of apps on my own over the years. They are very labor intensive. The amount of discipline required to maintain focus and meet goals is just insane. Most people can't do it. More over, you're likely to fall behind the curve once you do finish. It does take a team to build something large scale. That's why, at this point in my life, I only focus on tiny helper apps and plugins for my own use. I can't waste the next 3 years trying to build something that will only be "good", at best. If you want to design something truly cutting edge, something that really fills these wish lists, you have to throw more hands and brains at the problem. There's strength in numbers.

Don't you think I'm doing a bit of that with this thread? Don't worry about how much I can accomplish on my own. I am totally aware of the magnitude of the project and of my own rate of productivity. In 2000 Dr. James Kent single handedly wrote a program that decoded 1/3 of the DNA sequences of a mouse. As with all artists, it's different strokes for different folks

As time goes on, I hope to refer to this thread as food for thought. What do you folks want to see a CG app do?

Old 11-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #27
BrainFreeze
Know-it-All
portfolio
Mark Wellington
Everett, USA

Quote:
There is even evidence of alien DNA that has some just like ours.

What type of stuff do you smoke? And... pass it along man

I shall now be known as A. Sir Almighty Saint BrainFreeze M.D.
And if you question that, there's a judge that disagrees with you!

Old 11-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #28
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

No disrespect intended, but you are getting seriously hung up on semantics.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #29
polyphile
Danny boy
jack of all trades
UK/USA/Aus, United Kingdom

Quote:
As I have propounded continuously, a circuit court judge disagreed with you. Illegal is for someone to claim the Ph.D. from somewhere they never attended or, especially, to practice medicine. The judge apparently saw no harm, so didn't fine or otherwise reprimand me. Non of you are judges.

In Webster's Student addition dictionary, 70's vintage I think, the 5th definition of doctor is simply "an educated man." The root word itself means teacher. One knows if they are entitled to, thus right to demand as I have, the title of Philosophical Doctor. Autodidactic simply adds the "self appointment" issue honestly. Perhaps I'm the first to stand up against academic forms of oppression. I do have the right to the title and will argue that no further, but to satisfy the ones who mention my lax profile, I'll update that ATIA.

As for the languages, I see Python as LisP language, although there is Py2Exe. For it to be included as a LisP, would keep with current conventions. Most of your list is already in mind.

There are some good ideas showing up, but I imagine once the institution mindset (reminding those that some of the deeper thoughts in that other site thread suggest institutions may not exist before long as we know them today...) decides it is less narcissistic to assume the title of doctor than genius or even artist (how many of you can really draw, paint and cast realistic shadows into a rendering without these machines?), perhaps some of you will be using one particular app or another and think of something. An example is the "k" rip key in Blender. There's no constraining key so one can align the rip to an axis. Things like that tend to demand a trip back to the code editor, since the CG software is now the proverbial drawing board.

so academia is a form of oppression and institutions may not even exist in their current form for much longer, but you want to use academic titles and qualifications for yourself anyway.

what a load of bs.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #30
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Quote:
In 2000 Dr. James Kent single handedly wrote a program that decoded 1/3 of the DNA sequences of a mouse. As with all artists, it's different strokes for different folks

As time goes on, I hope to refer to this thread as food for thought. What do you folks want to see a CG app do?

Render a third of a mouse

Thread Closed share thread