CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Japanese Illustrators Work Hard For The Money — Or For Free

Quote:"
After the tragic passing of 94-year-old Anpanman illustrator Takashi Yanase the internet became abuzz with the news that Yanase created a lot of regional mascots—for free.

Manga artist Sensha Yoshida (Utsurun Desu) wasn't pleased with the news, taking his opinion to Twitter: "I think all those local governments and organizations that depended on him to 'work for free' should be ashamed." Yoshida later apologized, but a poll conducted by Yahoo! Japan found that 80% of respondents agreed with Yoshida's comment. Yanase was a well-respected illustrator in the industry and the former head of the Japan Cartoonists Association. The market hardly fairs better for the average freelance illustrator.

A freelance illustrator living in Tokyo shared her experience:
"For a particular magazine, one color illustration 10 cm^2 would sell for 2,000 yen (~$20). This is around 1/3 to 1/6 of the market price. I cried and cried, but accepted that value. I accepted the offer because I wanted work." The magazine had waited until the illustrator finished her drawing before revealing how much she would be paid.
"

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...212-or-for-free
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 11-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
janzak

I just came back from Japan where I as a VFX artist with 5 years in the industry was offered "between 250 000 and 300 000" yen (2500-3000 USD) for full time CG freelance work at a well established and respected company. That's less than $100 a day. They even said they frequently get turned down by foreigners because of low pay.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Tama
Expert
Tony Brighton
Saudi Arabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
Quote:"
After the tragic passing of 94-year-old Anpanman illustrator Takashi Yanase the internet became abuzz with the news that Yanase created a lot of regional mascots—for free.

Manga artist Sensha Yoshida (Utsurun Desu) wasn't pleased with the news, taking his opinion to Twitter: "I think all those local governments and organizations that depended on him to 'work for free' should be ashamed." Yoshida later apologized, but a poll conducted by Yahoo! Japan found that 80% of respondents agreed with Yoshida's comment. Yanase was a well-respected illustrator in the industry and the former head of the Japan Cartoonists Association. The market hardly fairs better for the average freelance illustrator.

A freelance illustrator living in Tokyo shared her experience:
"For a particular magazine, one color illustration 10 cm^2 would sell for 2,000 yen (~$20). This is around 1/3 to 1/6 of the market price. I cried and cried, but accepted that value. I accepted the offer because I wanted work." The magazine had waited until the illustrator finished her drawing before revealing how much she would be paid.
"

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...212-or-for-free

I think that drawing parallels between a well known and successful artist contributing his work and a low level freelancer getting the standard low rates due to stiff offshore competition is misleading.

Working in Japan isn't the "wonderfully awesome" experience that many fantasize about. And foreigners who come a knockin at Japan studios looking for a gig are easily identified as starry eyed dreamers who are willing to work for the going rate or lower to live their "dream" of living and working in Japan.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #4
XLNT-3d
Be Water My Friend

portfolio
Jon Anderson
Creative that gets stuff done
Stevensville, USA

Unless they made their mark on the international scene..like Hajime (Pat) Sorayama.

http://www.sorayama.net/

He was a huge influence with me back in the 80s and 90s when I was an aspiring illustrator and airbrush artist.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:31 AM   #5
PaulEMcLaughlin
Paul McLaughlin

portfolio
Paul Edward McLaughlin
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Many times during the Second World War, Yanase became faced with the prospect of starvation, which made him dream about eating anpan (a bean-jam filled pastry). This inspired the creation of the Anpanman character.

That is pretty dark.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:31 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread