CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
iLoveGreenDragon
portfolio
USA

How to make a part time living as a 3d artist?

I've spent the last 3-4 years learning maya, zbrush, mari, 3d coat, ae, nuke, photoshop, and getting better as a sculptor / texture painter / retopologizer / rigger / animator / compositor, you name it!
I have learned so much software, have so many skills, but I am falling into the same boat other people do, even the ones who go to 6 figure art schools, which is-

I dont really have a portfolio that could get me a job weather at a studio or freelance.
Im 26 now having to get an insurance license getting sucked into a life I am hating before I even start. I did half of a business degree in college, but focused more on my art.
Its a wierd situation that Ive spent so much time but yet don't have anything to show. The best characters and environments I've worked on thus far Ive become overly attached with, too much to just toss it on a forum and want to use for personal projects some time in the future.

How can I use the technical and artistic skill that Ive worked so hard and long for to make enough money, even if its to supplement a part time job?

My skills are at a point where I can take a character from sculpt to animation and even composite a whole environment. I can produce pretty professional work, not just working from 2d concepts I get from my friends on deviant art, but I can concept myself too.

Or is this industry so flooded that so many people have these skills as well and I'm not really special and I will probably not be able to make a living doing what I love? A portfolio with a few months work may not be enough these days?

Last edited by iLoveGreenDragon : 10-31-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveGreenDragon
I dont really have a portfolio that could get me a job weather at a studio or freelance.

Err, then make one? How else do you expect to get a job?

Also, get over whatever issues you have with it, and put your work online. There's not much space to be precious about your work if you want to be a professional.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveGreenDragon
Or is this industry so flooded that so many people have these skills as well and I'm not really special and I will probably not be able to make a living doing what I love? A portfolio with a few months work may not be enough these days?

Your portfolio proves to the industry that you are not just a 'button pusher'. You are right - there are too many people who can just 'push buttons' to all find work.
But your portfolio makes or breaks you. Sure its who you know as well-but the people you know can vouch for you based on the work they've seen you do in the first place!

Old 10-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
trancerobot
Art Compiler

portfolio
Christian Storay
BIM & VDC Modeler
USA

If you're talking about film/VFX, I can tell you that all the sweating and worrying you're doing now is a waste of time if you don't move (California or NY, assuming you're American)

I didn't move, and I ended up construction.

Art for game dev is more flexible... I think. But if you live in a small town or a worthless state, you still need to move.

As for part time... I have a hard time imagining something like that existing. Maybe what you're after are freelance projects?

Because I didn't move, the only freelance 3D gig I managed to get was still construction related... and I'd never have gotten it at all without the help of one of my former college professors.

So the question now is: where are you artistically, where are you physically? Both situations are serviceable, but I suspect people here won't be able to offer much more in the way of advice without additional information.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Ok some questions so we can help you in a better way.

What areas would you consider your strenghts?
Can you draw? Can you code?
Where do you live?
Are you married? Do you have kids?
What market are you aiming to work for? Film? Games? Forensic animator? Freelance Artist?
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 11-01-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
banman7
Frequenter
portfolio
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Quote:
Im 26 now having to get an insurance license getting sucked into a life I am hating before I even start. I did half of a business degree in college, but focused more on my art.
Its a wierd situation that Ive spent so much time but yet don't have anything to show. The best characters and environments I've worked on thus far Ive become overly attached with, too much to just toss it on a forum and want to use for personal projects some time in the future.

How can I use the technical and artistic skill that Ive worked so hard and long for to make enough money, even if its to supplement a part time job?

Ummm and that is why you fail. 1) no portfolio. A portfolio is very important. 2) Show what you have off.

Why do so many people come here and talk about getting a job or how hard it is to find a job and never show off their work. The OP all but disappears and we never see their work.

Heck showing your work here may even get you a job.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:39 AM   #7
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
The best characters and environments I've worked on thus far Ive become overly attached with, too much to just toss it on a forum and want to use for personal projects some time in the future.

+
Quote:

Mind = blown.

The thread ends here, really.

You will never have a portfolio that way, and I'm afraid you won't get to complain about it, not on the sympathy receiving end of a complaint at least

Man up, show your work, take critique, produce more. That and social network is all there is to finding work. If you refuse to publish AND you are forum shy on top of being self educated it simply doesn't work, and no amount of hating your life and advice received here will change it.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 11-01-2013, 05:39 AM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread