About textures and materials of real manufacturers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
About textures and materials of real manufacturers

Hi everyone, I've been lurking around for years, but never posted

In my past job, I had to reproduce a lot of plastic laminate form the major plastic laminate manufacturer's in America, and it was not the most fun experience... especially when the client change the laminate's texture at the last second.

I am now in talk with various manufacturers to bring their material to the most popular rendering software's...

So if you have to do a similar thing in your job, would you do me a favor and fill out this small survey (max 11 questions, and short ones) and forward it?

My goal is to reach to manufacturers and make them aware of our need (and that we exist), and make our life a bit easier in the future

Thanks in advance!

Alex.

Old 10 October 2013   #2
Hello allbellerose, I understand what you mean. I actually just recently finished writing a texture plugin/application that ties into an online database of 1000's of textures. To build the library, I actually approached several manufacturers of different types of materials including fabric, tile, wall paper etc. Most of the people I spoke to were very nice. However, they all had pretty much the same concern, "Copyright". While I don't pretend to understand how it all works, basically it boils down to the fact that each pattern is considered a "work of art." As such they are copyrighted and therefore cannot be reprinted without permission (even digitally). What complicates things further is that many manufacturers don't even create their own patterns but hire outside artists to do it, making it even harder for you even know who to contact about getting permission. In the end, it proved more difficult then it was worth and result I had to create mine from scratch.
However, as a side note in almost every case when I asked they did not object to artists pulling images from their sites as long as they received credit from where it came from. But again, it was a case by case thing and you would have to ask them specifically for permission. Anyway, I hope this information helps as you take this project on.

Old 10 October 2013   #3
Hi thrivingartist,

I complete understand what you went through, I actually found 1 manufacturer that is willing to do it, so far it's a question of approval from higher up, but they wanted to do it internally already, but don't have the staff for it.

Granted, it's just one, but maybe it takes one to start the dance.

What is this plugin/app you wrote? seams interesting

Old 10 October 2013   #4
That's Great. You have to start somewhere I guess. If you want, feel free to pm me I would love to chat more about your experience.
As far as the plugin goes, I have gone ahead and added a link to it in my signature.

Old 10 October 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread