Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - trailer

I like it. For one, I like a good story involving the geopolitical impact of the Military Industrial Complex.

The other bit is that the action looks great, the VFX look fantastic (as usual).... I also like it how it's a bit more Metal Gear now than straight up comics. It's just a bit more "aggressive looking" artistically than where I think the Captain America comics were always headed before.

I also like the new simpler Blue and White costume for the Cap.

The Winter Soldier in particular looks like a send-up of Raiden from Metal Gear Rising in terms of design language. That isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
WoolyLoach
Scribblinhg Loach

Ed Averill
Dark Ambient Dronator
Synthetic Aurality
Austin, USA

Looks good! I like the uniform too.

Can't wait for it!

Old 10-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

This superhero nonsense must be winning me over because this looks awesome! But how many more movies will it take for them to realize that relying on hovering aircraft carriers is still a terrible idea?

Old 10-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
It is kinda cool that to see that the Shield HQ "The Triskelion" is in Rosslyn, VA .
And that theere are two Shield helicarriers less that 2 miles from my home .
It is nice to see that they actually filmed in the REAL DC. (They were here a couple of months ago)

If you are from the DC area this movie will be quite a treat.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 10-25-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Stankluv
Lord of the posts
Martin S
USA

I am psyched, and I was iffy on the first. In the Avengers, Cap has some awesome moments, but I felt kind of put off by Cap and the other low-power heroes...like...basically anything anyone says after Thor uses his extremely effective lightning power, besides, "Thor, do that again please!" is kind of dumb...

With that, this looks awesome...I feel as if I am getting a distinct Bourne Identity vibe, kind of? Maybe just me.

Also, sacrilege here, but...I feel like the shield is visually limiting the character. I get that it is his thing but ...I don't know...maybe if he loses it for a significant period of time wouldn't be such a bad thing.

This is the first Cap I ever bought off of a magazine rack, so maybe I'm biased from the start:

Old 10-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Darrolm
Frequenter
portfolio
Darrol Moore
Character TD | Generalist
Pasadena, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
And that theere are two Shield helicarriers less that 2 miles from my home .
There are 3 of them numbered 65, 42, and 88. 65 was seen through the elevator with Cap and Fury and then closest to the camera during take off. 42 was blocking 88 from view during that shot.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
Pinionist
Gloomy Nova

Pavle Milicevic
motion designer
Warsaw, Poland

Send a message via ICQ to Pinionist Send a message via MSN to Pinionist
I don't know. Feels like just another comic book movie. Nothing new than Avengers + Iron Man 3 etc.

But would absolutely love to see Metal Gear Solid movie.

Cheers,
Pavle

Old 10-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
Darkherow
Expert
portfolio
W Lee
United Kingdom

I saw a Falcon!

Old 10-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Finally a Captain America costume that doesn't suck!

Old 10-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

I like it that the trailer hints that the idealistic 40's man Steve Rogers will find himself at odds with the kind of non-transparent Geopolitical stance America is seen to have in the modern day world.

This is a unique story opportunity that really can hit the bulls eye with Captain America. This is definitely the kind of story I would have gone with.

However, I cannot help but feel that perhaps The Winter Soldier is used here like a cop-out where a "common enemy" to Captain America and Shield is used to reconcile their differences. You can already anticipate something like Nick Fury saying "You have to come back to SHIELD, Cap. You're the only one who can defeat the Winter Soldier. If you don't come back he will destroy America." And Cap says: "I still don't like it that we put foreign innocents at risk, but I can't let the Winter Soldier destroy the homes of American innocents. OK!" *High fives Nick Fury*.

In the meantime nobody bothers to call Tony Stark.. who probably could have fried the Winter Soldier from 100 yards away. BUT! I'm not complaining. In a "solo film world" where Captain America is the only somewhat super guy.. this is a good story to go on I guess.

If the Robert Redford character is revealed to be somehow responsible for Winter Soldier and is arrested or something at the end of the picture, then you have a similar wrap-up to "Bad American Intelligence Bosses" ala Bourne Supremacy.

Oh well... It is called "The Cinema of Affirmation" for a reason.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 10-26-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:44 AM   #11
webhead
Expert

Looks like some high-octane fun. I like that Black Widow is featured in this as well. It looks like they loose another flying aircraft carrier. I bet those things cost the taxpayers plenty!

Old 10-26-2013, 04:06 AM   #12
Darrolm
Frequenter
portfolio
Darrol Moore
Character TD | Generalist
Pasadena, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead
Looks like some high-octane fun. I like that Black Widow is featured in this as well. It looks like they loose another flying aircraft carrier. I bet those things cost the taxpayers plenty!
Especially since they got numerous upgrades, including new engines. The trailer has all 3 of the helicarriers going down and it looks like they do shortly after takeoff based on the location.

Last edited by Darrolm : 10-26-2013 at 04:17 AM.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:12 AM   #13
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

I can already see this turning into a gag where they phase out "Heli-Carriers" by the time it gets to "Avengers: Age of Ultron".

Old 10-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
Ballo
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Joe Tuscany
Character Development/Senior Character Modeler
United Kingdom

I didn't feel anything and I dunno who is the main villain. I hate those close up to the actor's faces, it is a bit unnatural, to close!!!

Imho I don't like the new costume (they used the same material like me to look more muscular in Halloween, big balls of cotton ), yes I know it is actual, But all superherores now have to be dark? a la Batman? :/

Old 10-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
mastone
Maniacal boy-king of baby

portfolio
Martin van Stein
IJmuiden, NL

trailer looks nice enough, but Captain America never did it for me.
I liked Nolan's Batman dark knight, because that movie was great even if it did not feature superheroes...
I don't expect dickens, tolkiens or shakespear when I watch a movie nowadays, but I am getting sick of retarded movies which solely rely on CG to kick it at the box office( there are just to many of them)..so I am letting this one pass..
www.eyellem.com

Please visit the Dutch 3D forum:
www.3dhype.com,

Thread Closed share thread