CoreyArtE
Gotta Improve

portfolio
Corey Loving
School
USA

Send a message via AIM to CoreyArtE

Surface pro 2 photoshop lag?

I just purchased a surface pro 2 and ran photoshop cs6 on it. It runs ok but its pretty laggy. Even when I work on a file size of 1000x1000 pixels i cant move the brush far without some small delay. Strangely enough I tried sketchbook pro and that thing is moving super faster at all brush settings. Its alittle sad because Im not a fan of using sketchbook pro for painting if I can use photoshop. So my question is, has anyone else using the surface pro experience some form of brush lag at all in photoshop? I tweeked the settings in preference and still cant seem to figure it out.

EDIT:
I found a solution to photoshop slow brush speed for anyone interested. Someone from adobe suggested this and so far and it seems to works Pretty much open photoshop and let it sit for 10 minutes and then use it. It seems to function much better for me, its ALOT faster now and im really enjoying it . Its pretty cool now. Well thats it...Goodluck out there to anyone with similar issues.

Last edited by CoreyArtE : 10-24-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Which model did you get? the 8gb ram version or the 4gb?

I mostly used sketchbook to paint with when I had a surface 1 but never noticed much of a lag with photoshop when I was using it. Maybe a driver issue?

Old 10-23-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Are you trying to paint 72dpi or something like 300dpi? Either way it shouldn't lag. I am trying Sai atm, and it is speedy!! Wont be sketching in PS anymore I think.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:50 AM   #4
dwigfor
Expert

David Wigforss
Nickelodeon Animation Studios
Burbank, USA

Out of curiosity, have you installed the wacom drivers? Wonder if it makes a difference with or without them..

Old 10-23-2013, 02:29 AM   #5
CoreyArtE
Gotta Improve

portfolio
Corey Loving
School
USA

yeah the problem just seems to be in photoshop. Any other art program ive tested so far seems to work well. I have 128 gb model, which is 4 gb of ram.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:21 AM   #6
Lomax
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jared Lindquist
Technical Animator
Limited Slip Studio
Orlando, United%2BStates

I curious if anyone else has run into this problem - at least half of the time, the cursor stops tracking the pen properly if I'm holding the tablet portrait syle. Moving the pen up moves the cursor right, right moves it down... It's as if the pen driver is still using landscape orientation. Tis only seems to happen in Photoshop - if I click out it works fine, but when I click back to PS it freaks out again, until it randomly decides to work.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:43 AM   #7
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

If any of you got the 8gb version can you please test out zbrush?

Old 10-23-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
KMcNamara
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kevin McNamara
Seattle, WA, US

I have the original Surface Pro and I can paint fairly large files without any noticeable lag. Did you install the wacom drivers?

Old 10-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
Lomax
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jared Lindquist
Technical Animator
Limited Slip Studio
Orlando, United%2BStates

I've got the 4 gb version, and Zbrush runs pretty well and lag-free. Though to be fair, I'm hardly a power user (I barely even qualify as a novice) - I loaded up one of the default models (the fat guy) and started sculpting on the 6th subd level.

I may have narrowed down my cursor problem with Photoshop - it only seems to happen with the type cover attached, and mostly if I'm folding it back behind the tablet. If it's forward or detached, the cursor acts as it should. And this is with the Wacom driver.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
CoreyArtE
Gotta Improve

portfolio
Corey Loving
School
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcNamara
I have the original Surface Pro and I can paint fairly large files without any noticeable lag. Did you install the wacom drivers?

Yeah that was the first thing I did because it doesnt have pressure sens without it in photoshop. But again maybe i got a dud if everyone else can work at atleast 1000 pixels without any lag. I have to work at 400 x 400 pixels in order to destroy the lag. But it seems to work ok in most other software Ill keep testing it.

And by the way , the batter life on this thing is sorta strange. It will say 7 hours of battery , I use photoshop for 30 minutes and it drops to 5 hours of batter, use photoshop for another 30 minutes and its down to like 3 hours of battery left. Is this issue only for me or are others having these same results.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
scrawford
Frequenter
Sarah
Orlado, USA

Ive been researching it a little. The last surface needed some premium PS features disabled to run smoothly.

Maybe try a google search for how to speed up photoshop.

Im probably getting one. Hoping its a matter of check boxes

Old 10-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
scrawford
Frequenter
Sarah
Orlado, USA

also I could be wrong, but I believe I read something about a battery saving mode that limits the power a bit to conserve energy. Perhaps that is the issue

Old 10-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

On surface one I sketched for five hours straight on sketchbook pro and still had 3 hours on the battery, the new surface has much better battery life so it shouldn't be an issue. I also liked that it charged from empty to full extremely fast, I think I had a full charge in 1.5 hours if not less.

I am really tempted to get the new 256gb pro with 8gb of ram. I just need someone to post a video of them using zbrush on it. I didn't get a chance to use zbrush on the old surface but sculptris had some weird brush lag where it would start deforming after a short delay when you move the brush. Other than that it was super smooth but I am hoping Surface pro 2 solved that problem.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #14
CoreyArtE
Gotta Improve

portfolio
Corey Loving
School
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrawford
Ive been researching it a little. The last surface needed some premium PS features disabled to run smoothly.

Maybe try a google search for how to speed up photoshop.

Im probably getting one. Hoping its a matter of check boxes

Yeah ironically I found this video (skip to 3:30 mark). He says using the brush tool isnt good in photoshop. Which is strange because I could have sworn I saw a video of someone editing 4k video file in adobe premiere so using brushes in photoshop shouldnt be an issue.

I have my tablet on power saving mode. I dont really know what to think about this tablet. Seems like mixed reviews. Some people have no lag and over 6 hours of battery life but im not getting any of that. Im going to test it until this weekend before deciding to return it if I cant find a solution to the photoshop issue.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
balistic
wacom jock

portfolio
Brian Prince
Sr. 3D Artist
IGT
Reno, USA

You might want to try turning off the GPU acceleration in PS.

Thread Closed share thread