Video about building a reel

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
Here's a video about building a reel

So I made a video where I take someone's demo reel and completely revamp it in order to talk about some strategies that everyone can use. It's in 4 parts, and it's probably too long, but it's a passable start for what I hope to be a small series of episodes.

PART I - Looking at the original reel
PART II - Selecting and editing the audio (honestly, you can probably skip most of this one)
PART III - Building an intro and starting the edit
PART IV - The final

Last edited by division05 : 10 October 2013 at 07:47 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #2
I like your voice, it is clear at a good level and you obviously know what you are talking about. The audio under your voice in the intro and the last bit is really distracting though. I found myself listening more to the soundtrack than what you were saying. Maybe it is just me. I wonder what others think.

Well done
Cheers

Old 10 October 2013   #3
Very informative and entertaining at the same time. Thanks for sharing!

Old 10 October 2013   #4
Really helpful info! Especially for a new grad looking for work. Thanks a lot.

Old 10 October 2013   #5
That was really cool and fun to watch
Bring it more

Old 10 October 2013   #6
At first I was like, man that intro has nothing to do with his current image...but then you remade his entire image in your new cut to fit your new intro. Huge difference!
Really great stuff, I'm going to show this around the office today.

On a related note. This also shows how delegating a reel edit to someone else can be beneficial, because editing your own work can be a big psychological game if you don't have a natural ability to judge your work objectively.

Last edited by leif3d : 10 October 2013 at 01:53 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #7
Dude nice videos! Just favorited it they're actually real funny and interesting

Last edited by CGJashua : 10 October 2013 at 06:24 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #8
That was fantastic. Good news is, this can also be used as a demo for how to produce tutorials or making-ofs. It's pathetic how much good info gets buried under inept narration, bad or noisy mic work, long & boring pauses or fiddling with loading files and such that we don't need to see.

I agree with kanga that the intro bg music is just slightly distracting, and I notice it's re-used elsewhere, too. The high frequency of the singer just jumps out front and becomes a bit too busy. Also, I thought it funny that on that one hip hop song you didn't say something like "It's a cool song, but your potential client might be offended by the use of the word "ni**er" that happens 8 times in the beginning."

Other than that, excellent work.

Old 10 October 2013   #9
I went in skeptical, much has been said about building reels and lots of it is contradictory, but I totally agree with your approach in these video's.

As said by others, friendly voice, clear explanation on your motivations and its great tutorial to get people focused on the fact that they need to present themselves in the best way possible. Good to see some focus on the music choice and intro, which its importance has been downplayed for a long time.

Originally Posted by Artbot: Also, I thought it funny that on that one hip hop song you didn't say something like "It's a cool song, but your potential client might be offended by the use of the word "ni**er" that happens 8 times in the beginning."

Great point! That was exactly my thought too when I heard the song. I think one should definitely be aware of what is actually being said in the song.

Last edited by Rickmeister : 10 October 2013 at 02:49 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #10
Awesome! I'm glad there are some useful nuggets of info in there for some people. I'll definitely pay more attention to the bg audio next time. I edited the crap out of the voiceover tracks, and was kind of hiding the hundreds of splices behind the bg audio. It works, but apparently not without a cost, hahaha. I'm going to do another 'episode' when I get finished with a paid project I'm currently on, so if anyone else has comments, lay 'em on me!

Old 10 October 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread