The GRAVITY Reviews Declare: GRAVITY Grabs You, Pulls You In, And Never Lets Go.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2013
Wow, I don't remember that last time I was so impressed by a movie. Aside from a few minor plot holes (inserted for the sake of making the film more entertaining probably), I can only describe it as a transformative experience. This might be the closest I'll ever get to feeling how it is to be in space. Definitely see it in IMAX 3D.

Oh, and it really blows my mind that the best and most praised movie of 2013 is a hard sci-fi flick! Hopefully this will interest more kids in space and science for years to come.

10 October 2013
I wouldn't call this movie sci-fi. Doesn't that require fictional science, or future settings etc?

It was a technical and visceral spectacle for sure. I don't like 3D, and still don't but I think it was as well done in this movie as possible. I found it lacking in story substance though.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Unklejman: I wouldn't call this movie sci-fi. Doesn't that require fictional science, or future settings etc?

but it is in a future setting.

The Chinese have a space station up, their own version of the Soyuz capsule, the Americans have a new Shuttle program and they brought back the jetpack for some reason.

None of that stuff is going to happen any time soon, with the possible exception of the Chinese space station.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: but it is in a future setting.

The Chinese have a space station up, their own version of the Soyuz capsule, the Americans have a new Shuttle program and they brought back the jetpack for some reason.

None of that stuff is going to happen any time soon, with the possible exception of the Chinese space station.

Hah, ok then. Maybe. It's still current tech. For some reason I thought the Chinese did have a space station.

10 October 2013
As I understand it the Chinese have only one module in space, not the size of ISS.

Spectacular film but cringe worthy dialogue and cliche I would have loved to have less talk from Sandra Bullock for the last 30 min of the movie. This is my only criticism. The visuals are amazing. And a must see in 3D.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Unklejman: Hah, ok then. Maybe. It's still current tech. For some reason I thought the Chinese did have a space station.

The Chinese do have a space station - Tiangong - it's just not as big as the one shown in Gravity, eventually it will be http://moonandback.com/wp-content/u...ation120618.jpg

They also have a space craft called Shenzou, which is indeed based on Soyuz technology. They've been flying it for a few years now, so that part of Gravity is fairly accurate.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Grrrrrrr: Spectacular film but cringe worthy dialogue and cliche I would have loved to have less talk from Sandra Bullock for the last 30 min of the movie. This is my only criticism. The visuals are amazing. And a must see in 3D.

The original cut was much more Cuaron-esque. The cringe-worthy bits were added due to pressure from Warner Brothers after a test screening. The audience apparently found it difficult to sympathize with Ryan's original (more moody, depressed and introspective) character. I certainly much preferred the original cut. But there you go.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: The original cut was much more Cuaron-esque. The cringe-worthy bits were added due to pressure from Warner Brothers after a test screening. The audience apparently found it difficult to sympathize with Ryan's original (more moody, depressed and introspective) character. I certainly much preferred the original cut. But there you go.

sniff-sniff
Is that a director's cut I smell in the oven burning onto the pending BR release?

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Unklejman: I wouldn't call this movie sci-fi. Doesn't that require fictional science, or future settings etc?

Science fiction - a form of fiction that draws imaginatively on scientific knowledge and speculation in its plot, setting, theme, etc.

It doesn't have to be about the future, just needs to use science as a story plot device.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: The Chinese have a space station up, their own version of the Soyuz capsule, the Americans have a new Shuttle program and they brought back the jetpack for some reason.

As has been said, it's all happened already. They just played it pretty loose with the timeline for each of those elements. And the way the MMU jetted around was almost laughable. Anyone who's seen the real thing in action (20 years ago!) would be put to sleep. There's no way in hell NASA would let ANYone bop around in that thing like a teenager on adderall the way Clooney does, especially next to the shuttle.

As for the cringe-worthy dialog, I thought Bullock's was fine, but Clooney in the beginning of the film sounds like he's doing a parody of himself - and not in a good way. Okay, we get it - he's a space veteran that everyone loves, but the love-fest goes on just a little too long. I'm sure the makers thought that "real" astronaut dialog would just be too cold and dry....like space!

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by BrainFreeze: Science fiction - a form of fiction that draws imaginatively on scientific knowledge and speculation in its plot, setting, theme, etc.

It doesn't have to be about the future, just needs to use science as a story plot device.

I was going off of this definition:
fiction based on imagined future scientific or technological advances and major social or environmental changes, frequently portraying space or time travel and life on other planets.

We've been in space for 50 years now. When does it stop being science fiction and become just fiction? If we were going to call everything that used scientific knowledge in the plot, science fiction, wouldn't anything involving aircraft or any other devices that play off of rules of physics or chemistry call for the term science fiction? Just a thought, but I might be completely off base here.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: The original cut was much more Cuaron-esque. The cringe-worthy bits were added due to pressure from Warner Brothers after a test screening. The audience apparently found it difficult to sympathize with Ryan's original (more moody, depressed and introspective) character. I certainly much preferred the original cut. But there you go.

Thanks for that piece of info. Hope there is a director's cut version of this sometime.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: The audience apparently found it difficult to sympathize with Ryan's original (more moody, depressed and introspective) character.

This helps that aspect of the story make more sense. It felt like the whole kid thing was contrived and kinda came out of nowhere. I was honestly surprised when it came up because it felt so out of place. It didn't seem like something that the Bullock character was really grappling with before it was mentioned. Perhaps if they had made it chronologically more recent, like a few weeks prior to the mission, (but she goes on the mission anyway, even in her grief) it would have had more...gravitas. ;-)

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: This helps that aspect of the story make more sense. It felt like the whole kid thing was contrived and kinda came out of nowhere. I was honestly surprised when it came up because it felt so out of place. It didn't seem like something that the Bullock character was really grappling with before it was mentioned. Perhaps if they had made it chronologically more recent, like a few weeks prior to the mission, (but she goes on the mission anyway, even in her grief) it would have had more...gravitas. ;-)

In the original version, Ryan was barely responding to Kowalsky's banter as he was doing his MMU dance around the Shuttle. She was very withdrawn. It did indeed feel as if she was 'grappling with it'. So when Kowalsky manages to get her to talk when they're on their way to the ISS and she mentions her daughter, it makes more sense.
The studio wanted her more perky I suppose, for fear of the audience disliking the protagonist from the get go. Those meddling suits eh?

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by noizFACTORY: Thanks for that piece of info. Hope there is a director's cut version of this sometime.

Beyond unlikely, considering how VFX intensive the entire movie is. Any new shots would almost certainly require more CG work, it's not just editing together material differently because the material does not exist yet.

reply share thread