The GRAVITY Reviews Declare: GRAVITY Grabs You, Pulls You In, And Never Lets Go.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 10 October 2013   #1
The GRAVITY Reviews Declare: GRAVITY Grabs You, Pulls You In, And Never Lets Go.

"Believe the hype: Gravity is as jaw-droppingly spectacular as you've heard - magnificent from a technical perspective but also a marvel of controlled acting and precise tone."

"An eye-popping, digital/live-action marvel with new levels of sophistication in its groundbreaking special effects that leaves most other films looking like they're lagging light years behind."

"Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical 2001, but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread."

"Unfolding as a series of terrifying object lessons in Newtonian physics, the movie lends new meaning to the phrase "spatial geometry."

"Nerve-racking, sentimental and thrilling, Gravity honors terra firma even as it reaches for the stars with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney."

"In terms of old-fashioned, cliffhanger suspense, Gravity leads the pack this year. It plays like an extended version of the 'Open the pod-bay doors, HAL' sequence in Kubrick's '2001."

"The most exciting science-fiction space adventure ever made."

"Gravity", a beautiful dance in space that is the closest replica anyone could ever ask for. Easily my favorite film of 2013."

"The cliché 'edge of your seat' seems too mild for this exciting outer space thriller that combines technical magic with strong emotional pull."

"An eye-popping, digital/live-action marvel with new levels of sophistication in its groundbreaking special effects that leaves most other films looking like they're lagging light years behind."

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gravity_2013/

Old 10 October 2013   #2
Gravity was the most unique movie experience I've ever had. To pull a movie like this extremely impressive. The CGI was the best I've ever seen period. Not once did I think, oh I can see the texture maps, tessellation, mesh or anything that got me out of audience mode and into CGI professional mode. I've never had that experience on any movie since I started my career in CG ten years ago.

I think this movie will change movie making more then any movie in history. Wow, that's a bold statement, do I really mean that? Maybe, to a very close yes . . . it's that unique.

Old 10 October 2013   #3
Just got back from seeing it in IMAX 3D - which I highly recommend for viewing this movie.
The shots were really outstanding. The film really does pull you in. I was particularly impressed with how the camera was constantly orbiting and weaving all around complex scenes for long periods of time without any cuts. It was as if the cameraman was actually filming the scene while floating in space. It really added to the feel of being there. One moment in the film did remind me of a scene from the film MISSION TO MARS (2000), although, the rest of the film is quite a unique experience in many ways. Again, seeing this film in IMAX 3D really adds to the experience. GRAVITY will not let you down!

Last edited by webhead : 10 October 2013 at 04:22 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #4
Fantastic movie.
Even better 3D. I can't imagine wastin my time watching it 2D. Gonna have to upgrade my 42" 3D TV to 55" when this comes to Blu Ray.

Old 10 October 2013   #5
Jebus, that was an amazing film....

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 10 October 2013   #6
The movie has now been given the go ahead to be shown in China, so that should help make FS a ton of cash

b

Old 10 October 2013   #7
Under general circumstances, I mostly dislike stereo movies. However, my wife and I decided to go watch this one on IMAX/Stereo. We did not regret it one bit. It's a fantastic piece of movie making. We enjoyed it a lot.

Old 10 October 2013   #8
Originally Posted by mr Bob: The movie has now been given the go ahead to be shown in China, so that should help make FS a ton of cash

b

Wow that's huge. China is the biggest movie market going I heard.

Old 10 October 2013   #9
Originally Posted by mr Bob: The movie has now been given the go ahead to be shown in China, so that should help make FS a ton of cash

b

Who is "FS?"

Old 10 October 2013   #10
Frame Store (I guessing)?

Old 10 October 2013   #11
Originally Posted by circusboy: Frame Store (I guessing)?

So what does a movie doing well at the b.o. have to do with the vfx house? They've been paid (hopefully) and as far as I know, share nothing of the movie's overall revenues. If they did, those dozens of vfx houses would not have been forced out of business.

Old 10 October 2013   #12
I've not seen zero-g done that well ever before. In terms of vfx, there was only one scence in the entire movie that really jumped out and said "I'm 3D!" which is a heck of an accomplishment in a movie like this!

I saw it in 3D and actually wish I hadn't - it was very well done, but the detail in the sets and scenes is incredible and I found being forced to look where the camera wanted me to look a bit frustrating.

Old 10 October 2013   #13
Ok I am blown away...
I just found this out:
Gravity’ Has a Fascinating Short Film Companion Called ‘Aningaaq’

http://screencrush.com/gravity-short-film-aningaaq/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 10 October 2013   #14
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: I just found this out:
Gravity’ Has a Fascinating Short Film Companion Called ‘Aningaaq’

That's really cool! Thanks for sharing.

Old 10 October 2013   #15
It was amazing experience
I usually dont like 3D but this time it served it's purpose amazingly.

reply share thread