CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #46
Ivan D Young
Expert
Ivan D
Central Fl, USA

Another thing that you can do again is add Desktop Icons for your PC that is similar to MyComputer from older days and you can add a Control Panel Icon as well. (I honestly don't remember which OS took away Icons and which one didn't, if I got it wrong no biggie)

Go to Personalization/ Change Desktop Icons/ Desktop Icon Settings.

There you can add several Icons back onto you desktop so you don't even have to do a keyboard shortcut. Might be handy on a touch screen or tablet PC or phone.

Tweak 8.1 out now and it is more like an old version of windows than either 8, win 7, or vista. Pretty much a happy camper except for the Bugs in User Accounts. Since I do not want to lose my Admin rights again. I will stay away from it for now.

Also Make sure to go thru all of your privacy settings to make sure you are comfortable with what you PC shares on the internet and a network.

you can access that from the Charms menu/ Settings/ Change PC Settings/ Then go item by item in that menu to make sure it is set appropriately.

Now to fix the last few things, enjoy.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #47
Als
Expert
portfolio
Aleksandar Stiglic
digital artist, 3D
United Kingdom

A lot of win fans.
Well, great there is a new OS, but it doesn't really address any of the important issues.
If something goes wrong, you have to reinstall everything.
Restore points don't work and it's quite useless feature.
There is no way to reinstall OS without reinstalling all the software from the beggining.
When we will see this ?
I guess never.

Als

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

Old 10-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #48
BrainFreeze
Know-it-All
portfolio
Mark Wellington
Everett, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Als
There is no way to reinstall OS without reinstalling all the software from the beggining.

Upgrading to Windows 8 is pretty easy, all software keeps working.
As for reinstalling things from scratch, I haven't had to do this for 4-5 years now. So it is a non-issue, at least for me.
If restore points don't work for you how about creating an image? I've done it successfully before. If something goes wrong, just restore the image.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #49
Ivan D Young
Expert
Ivan D
Central Fl, USA

Well everyone's experience is different, but I have used restore points before and they do work. I have not had to reinstall my software again after doing that.

Also bear in mind, it might be the apps you have that cause the reinstall and not windows itself. Apps that have more elaborate Anti-Piracy and Licensing schemes really are the cause of that. Any major change to OS, User profiles, or Environment variables may trigger them to either want another install or redo the licensing. That is the particular App and not Windows.

When I ran my window 8.1 install I had lots of little apps that not even complained the OS had a 4GB file infusion. Adobe on the other hand forced a license recheck. That was Adobe that caused that, not Windows.

Windows has lots of good features and some hidden gotchas, it is not a perfect tool but it is still just a tool at the end of the day.

Every version of Windows has a learning curve. It is just a matter of working thru different features.

Hey Good luck

Old 10-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #50
Tuxon86
PRO
portfolio
Alain Ménard
Beauharnois, Canada

I use win 8 and I like it. i actually prefer the start screen over the old start menu. No need to navigate a hierarchy of folders and no more apps getting "bumped" off the quick launch list. And on a 27" 2560x1440 screen I don't even have to scroll to see all my currently used apps. I added a tile for the control pannel and to shutdown my computer on the start screen so I don't need to hunt them down.

The networking and file copy functions are really nice.

There are some things that I don't like also. I hate the win 8 full screen apps. I hate having to go fishing for them via the top right corner to close them. I prefer the desktop versions, internet explorer, for example.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #51
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Als

I must be sleeping under a rock... where is such OS that allows random reinstallations of itself while keeping application configurations and installations in tack?

ROMEO! ROMEO!....

Old 10-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #52
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswalk
I must be sleeping under a rock... where is such OS that allows random reinstallations of itself while keeping application configurations and installations in tack?

ROMEO! ROMEO!....

Not quite a reinstall, but you can use the Windows disc to to check and make sure all the files are OK and it'll replace the ones that are corrupt.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #53
doghat
Expert
portfolio
Dan Ritchie
Animator
USA

Quote:
There are some things that I don't like also. I hate the win 8 full screen apps. I hate having to go fishing for them via the top right corner to close them. I prefer the desktop versions, internet explorer, for example.

You can also drag the screen down to close the app, which is the method I prefer.
If you were ever an Amiga user, full screen applications and dragging screens is going to feel very natural. It's something that's been sorely(!) lacking in ever other OS.

As far as re-installing Windows without changing your programs or files, it seems like that feature is in there, or maybe it just dosen't change your user files. I forget.

Overall, I am pleased with Windows 8.1 and don't like going back to 7. There are still things that need to change and bugs that need to be fixed yet. And I still find the start screen harder to use than the start menu, but I just put my most used shortcuts on the desktop.

I would still like to see the lost functionality restored, such as most recently used document lists on the start menu. Also, clicking on a tile (Firefox at least) doesn't open a new instance, it just opens a new tab. That's really annoying.

Also, I'd love to use the new Internet Explorer in the new interface, but it won't run if you have another browser set as default. It just dumps you into the desktop version. I thought they'd have fixed that by now, but maybe it's intentional, like if you don't play by their rules, they take their ball home. Not meaning to be hateful about it. It's just hard to imagine why they would do that.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #54
Locutus
I assimilate

portfolio
Sean Bellinger
Senior 3D Animator
SixFoot, LLC.
Magnolia, USA

Using Windows 8.1 Pro at home and at work. It's brilliant!
Not a single issue with and it runs faster than Win7.
LinkedIn

Old 10-26-2013, 02:32 AM   #55
plastic
Down With The Industry

portfolio
Marc Lorenz
Vienna, Austria

I hate Windows 8.
Anyway, being a masochist I tried to update my Windows 7 workstation to Windows 8 some time ago, because I got it really cheap. There was some promotion going on at Microsoft.
The installer failed and rolled back. So I sticked with Windows 7 and I'm glad, because I had Windows 8 on a netbook later on and it was horrible.
Anyway, now with Windows 8.1 I tried again to update (I'm a masochist) and now the installer says right away that I can't do the update, I'd have to install all apps again. So there is no real upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1. How lame is that? They really don't want me to use it.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:49 AM   #56
trancerobot
Art Compiler

portfolio
Christian Storay
BIM & VDC Modeler
USA

Plastic, I call shenanigans on your comment "So there is no real upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1."

Anyone who knows anything about computers can tell you that you don't upgrade an old installation of Windows. Even if it works, its not as clean or fast as it could be. I even tried it once, upgrading a two year old install of Windows 7 to Windows 8 while thinking I'd get away with it.

It worked, but it was booting slowly and buggy on occasion. Did I act all surprised and like some victim? No. Did I blame Microsoft? No.

After a while of dealing with it I backed everything up and did a clean install like I should have done to begin with. I installed Windows 7 and installed the upgrade. A few months have passed, and I installed 8.1 with no issues.

I especially like what was done with Skydrive, and I have my desktop image set in both Desktop and Metro, making for a more unified UI experience. It's faster, more stable, and believe it or not, I find the return of the start button useful when I'm logged in remotely from an older version of Remote Desktop (the windows key doesn't work in that case, and the hot corner is a hassle when viewing through a window).

Last edited by trancerobot : 10-26-2013 at 03:53 AM.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #57
Sthu
Frequenter
portfolio
Inva L
Switzerland

Stardock.com that makes the start8 menu also has a software called "modernmix" that loads win8 apps in a regular floating sizeable window. It doesn't load the new ui version of IE if you have another browser as default but it does load it in a sizeble window if you do.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #58
plastic
Down With The Industry

portfolio
Marc Lorenz
Vienna, Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancerobot
Plastic, I call shenanigans on your comment "So there is no real upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1."

Anyone who knows anything about computers can tell you that you don't upgrade an old installation of Windows. Even if it works, its not as clean or fast as it could be. I even tried it once, upgrading a two year old install of Windows 7 to Windows 8 while thinking I'd get away with it.

Well it works with Apple, so why not here?
It is a big deal to install everything from scratch, it would take me days or even longer to get everything running again the way it was.
I can see why it's a big step from say Windows 3.1 to Windows 95. Or XP to Vista.
But Windows 8? It's basically the same as 7 with a new skin/shell and some hardware driver optimizations.
And Windows 8 to 8.1 is a joke, it's nothing more than a service pack. So why isn't it possible to update from 7 to 8.1? It makes no sense to me.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #59
trancerobot
Art Compiler

portfolio
Christian Storay
BIM & VDC Modeler
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic
Well it works with Apple, so why not here?
It is a big deal to install everything from scratch, it would take me days or even longer to get everything running again the way it was.
I can see why it's a big step from say Windows 3.1 to Windows 95. Or XP to Vista.
But Windows 8? It's basically the same as 7 with a new skin/shell and some hardware driver optimizations.
And Windows 8 to 8.1 is a joke, it's nothing more than a service pack. So why isn't it possible to update from 7 to 8.1? It makes no sense to me.

What works with Apple? You mean to say that I can take a 3 year old installation of OS X and update that with no problems? I thought people would just buy a new Mac by that point.

If you're so bent out of shape over this, why haven't you sued Microsoft yet? How productive is it to start pissing contests on random internet forums?

Oh, and be sure to review this when updating your Mac. And a Google search is going to bring up all sorts of familiar issues. A computer is going to have computer problems.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #60
PhilipeaNguyen
Frequenter
portfolio
Philip E.A. Nguyen
Philadelphia, USA

I'm sticking with Windows 7 for a while with the intention of going back to the Mac OS. I've experimented with Metro for while and it's clearly designed as a touch interface. On OSX you can do a clean install AND not have to reinstall all of your applications and just keep moving, it doesn't have to be a two or three day ordeal.

Thread Closed share thread