Windows 8

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #31
Originally Posted by AJ: The Windows key + letter short-cuts are all great, unless you're running a touch screen tablet without a keyboard.

You don't need the keyboard shortcuts if you are using a touchscreen tablet because then you can just swipe in the charms bar and all that stuff is there.

Old 10 October 2013   #32
I been holding off on the 8.1 update because I read some reviews where 8.1 "bricked" (ie: no boot no nothing) their PC's and some instances that even required remote Microsoft Customer Assistance.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/1..._medium=twitter

Has this been noted? I actually don't mind win 8 as it currently is and I did have issues where even a minor update appeared to mess with my Wacom driver.

Note: Can't see the 8.1 update anymore anyway on App Store..... so I guess for now the answer is "don't update yet".

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 10 October 2013 at 03:54 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #33
I want to upgrade to 8.1 for several reasons. First, the Windows 8 store downloader has issues when you move between different hotspots. It's almost impossible to download large files on a mobile system unless you've got your machine sitting in one place for a long time. No telling if 8.1 fixes that or not.
Second, I want to put my wallpaper in the background of the start screen.
Third, I still have to work between Windows 7 and 8, so muscle memory still has me going to the start button a lot.
Windows 8 isn't perfect, but I do believe it's a necessary step forward. It wasn't just some wild idea that someone randomly had at Microsoft. We developers were asking for a tablet/desktop hybrid OS. Nice to have a fancy tablet and all, but the desktop is where high end software belongs, and we want people using our software.
Long story short, there are some people who still work on their computers.

Old 10 October 2013   #34
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: I been holding off on the 8.1 update because I read some reviews where 8.1 "bricked" (ie: no boot no nothing) their PC's and some instances that even required remote Microsoft Customer Assistance.

Afaik, the only instances of bricking have occurred on machines with Win8 RT or Media Center. You'll probably only run into RT if you're running a Surface RT. In that case, as the article points out, MS has temporarily yanked the update from the store. The Win8 w/MC bricking must be rare enough when the 8.1 update has not been pulled. I've already upgraded 3 machines in the past 3 days. It's been smooth sailing on each one of them.

I actually don't mind win 8 as it currently is and I did have issues where even a minor update appeared to mess with my Wacom driver.

MS blames Wacom. Wacom blames MS. No real sense in trying to sort that mess out. After 17 year using Wacom tablets, all I can say is that their drivers have been consistently inconsistent. It can be hit or miss from one version to the next.

As far as not minding Win8 the way it is.... Try 8.1. Seriously. The tweaks seem minor on the surface, but they really DO improve usability and aesthetics.

- Start page icon sizing comes in 4 flavors now instead of 2.
- You can label start menu groups without zooming out.
- A down/up arrow can move you back and forth from your pinned apps to your complete list
- The start page can now use your desktop background, even when you slideshow.
- The ability to shutdown from the bottom left corner via RMB or Win+x
- Start page tiles now have bg colors that reflect the dominant color of the icon, leading to a more colorful start page
- Improved store layout & design
- Updated and improved mail client
- A somewhat smaller HDD footprint overall

Small improvements on the surface, but you notice. Little tweaks here and there are definitely click savers.

The only thing I don't like? The return of a Start button. It makes no sense. All they did was swap the hotspot icon for something resembling a more traditional windows logo. It's a non-essential "feature" that's just there to placate those who complained. If anything, it just goes to show that MS didn't understand what people were really complaining about in the first place, which was the disappearance of the start menu, not button. I just decided to use 7+ Taskbar Tweaker to turn the BS button off. It's pretty worthless.

Note: Can't see the 8.1 update anymore anyway on App Store..... so I guess for now the answer is "don't update yet".

Maybe not. Assuming that you're not on a RT Win8 system, Make sure that you've got the KB 2871389 update installed into your system. Otherwise, the update won't pop up in the store. After the restart, you should be good to go. If the update still doesn't pop up then the problem might be something else. MSDN, Enterprise, & KMS activated systems won't support the 8.1 update.

You might also want to note, if you use an authenticator app to validate your sync, MS changed something with validation. The validation code is now longer. You might have a better time retrieving the code via e-mail, as some authenticator apps aren't up to date.

Overall, it's a fairly painless update. On my 6-core i7, the entire upgrade process took me about 80 minutes. It might've taken less time had I not been on a measly 7Mbps DSL line. That was the worst part, waiting for the 3.5GB to download. Other than that, the process is mostly automated. You only have to intervene to agree to the EULA and tick a few basic setup parameters.

The 8.1 upgrade migrates over your current apps and their setting seamlessly. Only 2 things didn't make the leap from 8 to 8.1 for me. The first was my power profile, which it reset. I had to reconfigure that. The other was, well, an app. I was using Comodo v5 before in Win8. Because of compatibility reason, I was forced to "upgrade" to the more bloated v6. Not a big deal, just annoying.

As I said, for the most part, the entire process is painless. The longest of my 3 installs was my older Core2 Duo based laptop, which took closer to 2hrs.

Old 10 October 2013   #35
@Cookepuss: Thanks for the advice.

Old 10 October 2013   #36
Windows 8 has been the first windows i bought since XP. Also MS office 2013 has been the first i purchased since 2003. I gave the free office a try, works okay, but for more intricate customization options in terms of docs, i much prefer the MS version.

The UI has been a struggle for 2 weeks to learn at the start of it all, and now i like it more than the previous just desktop iteration. Why? Because i use Metro and Desktop as 2 separate computers. One for fun, one for business, both clean but with 2 different purposes.

The start button being brought back is imo. a crutch for old timers to stop complaining more than anything else. I cant say ive missed it, and ive done everything i usually do around the system just by using the new UI.

Windows 8 and 8.1 are definitely good major steps for MS, but it will have growing pains to go through like anything else thats new. God forbid if anyone remembers the early days of Android vs the popularity of Apple iPhone 3. All in due time.

Old 10 October 2013   #37
Unfortunately, I'm, I guess, a week into the download, and it's probably restarted from scratch 5 times by now. No telling if I'll every be able to download it with the Windows 8 store. Anyone else having this problem?

Old 10 October 2013   #38
Originally Posted by doghat: Unfortunately, I'm, I guess, a week into the download, and it's probably restarted from scratch 5 times by now. No telling if I'll every be able to download it with the Windows 8 store. Anyone else having this problem?

Isn't the download supposed to continue if it got cut-off?

Old 10 October 2013   #39
I personally run Maya on both my Windows 8 and Mac Pro. Once you are actually in Maya's interface its pretty much the same either way. However, as others have been saying, I think any real issues will be more in navigating Windows 8 then anything Maya specific.

Old 10 October 2013   #40
I read that the 8.1 update for RT is fixed and back in the store.

As for the return of the start button, it's actually very useful when trying to Remote Desktop into a win8.1 machine.

One thing that freaked me out was when I launched TF2 or L4d2, it had a crazy red tint. First I freaked out and tried relaunching/rebooting. Then I let it continue into the game past the Valve logo and noticed that it enabled Stereoscopic on my Nvidia card. Disabled that and all is fine.

Updating to 8.1 was faster than upgrading to GDR2 on my Nokia 920 Windows Phone.

Old 10 October 2013   #41
I had to re-install my nvidia drivers to get rid of the auto-3D and same with mouse to get it to work. Minor stuff and totally worth it, I wish they could do updates like this every other month.

Old 10 October 2013   #42
windows 8 is shocking at first but after a while you'll get used to it.

Hollow Earth

If you can follow the Lochness Monster with a submersible, it can lead you to a doorway to the Hollow Earth.

Old 10 October 2013   #43
I just got the windows 8.1 install working. Couple of things to be aware of.

It may cause some of your apps to need to have their licenses redone or even re-installed. So just have that info on hand if it comes to that.

Also, if you want to have the Auto-Login setup using the Netplwiz panel. BE Extremely Careful!! This panel either has a bug or is not built well. You can accidentally remove Administrator Rights from an Administrator account. If you do not have Win Pro, you may not be able to fix this without either a Restore or Reinstall of Windows 8.1. I spent 24 hours trying to undo that mess.

Also, install the latest stable Video Card drivers before you install this thing. It definitely is different than Win 8.0 and seems to need it.

If your Machine has UEFI instead of BIOS, you may need to hop into the UEFI and tweak a setting or two to turn off watermark errors that stay on the Desktop mode in Win 8.1

Once you get everything working definitely make a Restore point. The loss of Admin rights seems to be a common issue for folks and have a restore point just in case this happens to you.

Now onto the good stuff. Win 8.1 seems faster than 8 to me. Go to the Taskbar Navigation panel and set you desktop PC to load to the desktop, set desktop as your Start window BG, and to use your Windows key as your Start shortcut, and have Start go to Apps and not the Metro Tiles first and your desktop will be way more responsive.

There are lots of other little tweaks that make 8.1 way better than the default setup. The issue is Windows 8-8.1 should of come with an interface choice between Touch use and desktop use. but it does not, so for Desktop users we need to configure it to be like a previous version of Windows. Which is totally doable now.

I got a few apps that have license issues with yet to fix, but I got win 8.1 configured and running pretty well now.

I liked Windows 8 once I got it setup to my liking and so far I am even happier with 8.1 now that I got it working correctly.

Last edited by Ivan D Young : 10 October 2013 at 11:49 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #44
Originally Posted by Ivan D Young: Now onto the good stuff. Win 8.1 seems faster than 8 to me. Go to the Taskbar Navigation panel and set you desktop PC to load to the desktop, set desktop as your Start window BG, and to use your Windows key as your Start shortcut, and have Start go to Apps and not the Metro Tiles first and your desktop will be way more responsive.

Had to uninstall Start8 to fully appreciate this but wow, this is so much better. Thanks!

//Taskbar Navigation panel can be found if you right click the shortcut menu bar at the bottom of your screen -> properties -> Navigation tab.

Old 10 October 2013   #45
Originally Posted by Sthu: Had to uninstall Start8 to fully appreciate this but wow, this is so much better. Thanks!

//Taskbar Navigation panel can be found if you right click the shortcut menu bar at the bottom of your screen -> properties -> Navigation tab.

Hey thanks, this really brings Metro and the Desktop together in a unified whole! Great!

Thread Closed share thread