Windows 8

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10 October 2013   #16
I am having all manner of problems with Windows 8 so far. The most frustrating and persistent issue is minimizing programs from the taskbar. Clicking on them doesn't bring them back - I have to right click and select them to get them back, even alt+tabbing doesn't always bring them to the front. It's not a critical problem but it's very frustrating.

The other issue I have is the inconsistency between the tablet style interface (which I genuinely like) and the standard Windows interface. It's a convoluted process to find out how to (easily) access things like the Control Panel and when you do call them up it just drops to the desktop and opens up a standard window. It makes the tablet interface feel like a superficial shell that obstructs much more than it improves anything.
__________________
SKETCHBOOK
MDI
moonjam.com

Last edited by AJ : 10 October 2013 at 10:28 AM.
 
Old 10 October 2013   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ
I am having all manner of problems with Windows 8 so far. The most frustrating and persistent issue is minimizing programs from the taskbar. Clicking on them doesn't bring them back - I have to right click and select them to get them back, even alt+tabbing doesn't always bring them to the front. It's not a critical problem but it's very frustrating.

The other issue I have is the inconsistency between the tablet style interface (which I genuinely like) and the standard Windows interface. It's a convoluted process to find out how to (easily) access things like the Control Panel and when you do call them up it just drops to the desktop and opens up a standard window. It makes the tablet interface feel like a superficial shell that obstructs much more than it improves anything.

Not having any of these issues here. Bought Windows 8 from their store, upgraded from Windows 7 without a hitch. Only 2 minor programs needed to be reinstalled, all the other ones work perfectly including all the 3d apps and Office.

I am using the Start button add-on suggested earlier and it works perfectly, just like in Windows 7. The biggest issue I had so far is a couple of times when my system became unresponsive, which didn't happen in Win7. But I am sure it is my hardware and won't be the same for others.
 
Old 10 October 2013   #18
Can't say enough good about Win 8. The performance alone is worth it. Microsoft really did a good job with cutting the crap and keeping the OS lean. People hate the start screen, and I did too at first, but after about a week and understanding how it works it really is a faster and better way to work. Instead of Start->Programs->whatever you just go to the start screen (shortcut window key) and type whatever you want. The indexing is good enough that it almost always finds what your looking for.

Having said that, if you are on Win 7 and have no immediate reason to switch then staying with Win 7 is a great option as well. Waiting for 8.1, sounds like a lot of good, requested changes are getting implemented.
__________________
HMC: Model Collection
WIP: Harris Nut House
WIP: WarCraft Troll
wyattharris.com Dig it!
 
Old 10 October 2013   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHarris
People hate the start screen, and I did too at first, but after about a week and understanding how it works it really is a faster and better way to work. Instead of Start->Programs->whatever you just go to the start screen (shortcut window key) and type whatever you want. The indexing is good enough that it almost always finds what your looking for.


That's what I was thinking, I did it like that in Win 7, pressing WIN and starting to type.
But in Win 8 there is a pointless split between apps and settings, so I have to do extra clicks if I want to launch a control panel app, for example. I don't get it, why it has to be like that.
And what's the point in covering the whole screen just for that process.
I don't miss the start menu that much, but a quick and efficient way to launch apps.
 
Old 10 October 2013   #20
Control panel access from desktop

To access the control panel quickly in "desktop mode" hover your cursor over the far bottom left corner and the start screen thumbnail should appear. Right click this area for a menu to access the control panel and other items.

The other method of going through "all programs" on the start screen works better if you're on a tablet with no mouse pointer.

Not intuitive without a visual indicator. 8.1 should be putting a start button there which may have similar functionality.
 
Old 10 October 2013   #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael5188
Isn't it generally a good practice to wait for every other windows update? They seem to release a solid OS, then a flop, then a solid one, etc.

Of course this isn't a hard and fast rule, just something I've heard.

I've only tried Win 8 in stores, but honestly I don't get the hate for the new UI. It made sense to me... could find things easily without having to ask for guidance. Maybe if I spent an entire day with it I'd learn to hate it, but honestly I like how it looks.

But anyways you don't even have to use it, so not a big deal. Either way, I'll probably wait for the next iteration before updating. Have no real need for a new OS, win 7 works just fine for me.


The main issue with Windows 8 is that too many of its features aren't native to Start Wall. Basically 99% of the time you hit the Desktop tile... or something you start goes to Desktop.

This is why it is so popular to tweak Windows 8 to just start in Desktop. Therefore, you have all this ridicule over the Start Wall.

It's definitely not a bad feature.. just a tad useless.... Sort of like a roundabouts solution to problems they solved earlier twice:

1) With Start Button
2) With the original Windows 3.1 where the "lowest level" on your screen is actually akin to Start Wall in that everything is there as you left it.

Actually, I think the best touchscreen Windows would be one that emulates the 3.1 idea where the native environment and ALL your shortcuts are at the lowest level which coincides with desktop.... But that's another discussion all together.

Also, I had no real choice regarding Windows 8, my laptop came with it pre-installed.
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
Old 10 October 2013   #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gryn
To access the control panel quickly in "desktop mode" hover your cursor over the far bottom left corner and the start screen thumbnail should appear. Right click this area for a menu to access the control panel and other items.

The other method of going through "all programs" on the start screen works better if you're on a tablet with no mouse pointer.

Not intuitive without a visual indicator. 8.1 should be putting a start button there which may have similar functionality.



That is a really convoluted way of doing things when you can simply hit the Windows key + X shortcut and all the power user tools will be accessible from that menu.
 
Old 10 October 2013   #23
Windows 8 is my favorite Windows release so far. It feels very fast and I like the comparably flat UI. I never cared for the shiny buttons they introduced in Vista.

Once the system is set up I rarely ever need to access the system settings. My most important programs are on the frontmost tiles, so after logging in it just takes a few clicks for my system to be ready for work.

Last edited by stew : 10 October 2013 at 09:39 AM.
 
Old 10 October 2013   #24
__________________
-Michael

www.MichaelSime.com
 
Old 10 October 2013   #25
Just installed it. It feels like it is even snappier than win 8. I am happy so far.
 
Old 10 October 2013   #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic
That's what I was thinking, I did it like that in Win 7, pressing WIN and starting to type.
But in Win 8 there is a pointless split between apps and settings, so I have to do extra clicks if I want to launch a control panel app, for example. I don't get it, why it has to be like that.
And what's the point in covering the whole screen just for that process.
I don't miss the start menu that much, but a quick and efficient way to launch apps.

Not sure what you mean, I just hit Win key and type whatever and launch it. Control Panel for example.

Hoo yeah, time for a download.
__________________
HMC: Model Collection
WIP: Harris Nut House
WIP: WarCraft Troll
wyattharris.com Dig it!
 
Old 10 October 2013   #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic
That's what I was thinking, I did it like that in Win 7, pressing WIN and starting to type.
But in Win 8 there is a pointless split between apps and settings, so I have to do extra clicks if I want to launch a control panel app, for example. I don't get it, why it has to be like that.
And what's the point in covering the whole screen just for that process.
I don't miss the start menu that much, but a quick and efficient way to launch apps.


Press Win + Q and type your app

Press Win +W and type which settings you want to access

Press Win + X

Press Win + S and you have a search engine that locally or online
__________________
http://www.harrybardak.co.uk
 
Old 10 October 2013   #28
Win - S is the best. I love that search happens right in the desktop instead of pushing you out to start page like before. There are a lot of great usability polishes in 8.1.
 
Old 10 October 2013   #29
The Windows key + letter short-cuts are all great, unless you're running a touch screen tablet without a keyboard.
__________________
SKETCHBOOK
MDI
moonjam.com
 
Old 10 October 2013   #30
It took some getting used to, but I like Windows 8 better than 7 now. The interface is cleaner, it's faster, the touch support is much better. The new app api is pretty good. The title on titlebars is centered(!) and it just looks a lot better. I like swiping from the left to switch between tasks. I really like games that use touch. I'm running on an AMD a6 1450 and it's a blast!

What people don't talk about is how much the underlying technologies have changed. Microsoft is now updating their software much more frequently. There's already a 2013 version of Visual Studio. Mainstream support for GPU through AMP rocks! (even if it hasn't grown up all the way yet.) Autovectorizing is already in its second incarnation. Windows 8 requires SSE2 as a base level. That can only be a good thing. legacy X86 code needs to go.

Internet Explorer is SO much better in the new style interface. The only problem is you can't use it at all if you install another default browser. I hope they fixed this in 8.1.
__________________
Project Dogwaffle is the (Un) natural Paint Program! http://www.squirreldome.com/
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.