What do you think of Digital Tutors?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
What do you think of Digital Tutors?

I used to have a membership there but I decided that it wasn't really for me after I found out about other online training websites such as eat3d, zbrushworkshop, and gnomon. Instructors from eat3d, zbrushworkshop, gnomon have experience working in the industry and I thought it would be better spending my money on a training made by professionals who had experience. I am also saving money so I can sign up for a couple of the cgsociety workshops . Any of you guys use Digital Tutors? What do you think of it?

10 October 2013
They've included more advanced stuff lately, some of them can be quite interesting from what I see. But the majority of their tutorials are geared towards users totally new to the subject. So if you already know your way around an application pretty well, you probably won't enjoy them much.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by MissOptimist: .. and I thought it would be better spending my money on a training made by professionals who had experience.

What what i can tell there are staff members who generate content but more recently they have been reaching out to professionals to make some tutorials. The former is something i have never needed so i cannot speak to their quality but some of the tutorials by real-world artists are pretty good. Of course it is dependent on the instructor but from the ones i've seen, they were pretty solid.

10 October 2013
They got online tutoring experience, that's for sure, and are concise with well planned courses, something that I value very much and you don't get at gnomon, fxphd and others that sell their information based on time. I mean, how is it that magically all subjects are a certain amount of weeks or lessons at some tutorial services? You can really tell they are trying to fill the void.

DD also keeps the amount of "uhms, actuallies and basicallies" to a minimum but one of the tutors amount of "okey" is through the roof. Hehe!

So DD is great but I cancled my subsciption based on only one thing - no autoplay. And having to scroll, click, wait, click, scroll, double click, when you are trying to sit back and watch the thing on your TV or tablet is too frustrating, specially in bed where I do most of my learning.

I wonder if they would be okey with me paying them the $45/month and let me pirate the courses!?

10 October 2013
If I remember correctly, they have a section specifically for advanced users/professionals. I signed up with them a while back and was overwhelmed by all the training videos at their site. But two months passed by where I hadn't logged into the site, so I ended up canceling my membership. Over all my experience was a positive one.

10 October 2013
I think DT kicks ass and takes names myself. Our studio uses it to brush up or learn new areas all the time. I've been working with a college that gets quite a bit of visualization work as well, but don't have the talent to get the work done or the budget to hire professionals. I have them use DT to get their working college students up to par with the basics, then go from there.

Of course, its a bit easier to promote it when I am asking work and the college to front the funds, not individuals. Still, it's been a "go-to" resource for us for years and more than pays for itself. We might spend 1-4 hours learning a technique, then turn around and use the technique and will be billing the client $165+ an hour for the task that needs to be completed so its easy to justify the cost.

YouTube is also a great resource.

10 October 2013
Its a solid source to quickly pick up tool skills, even for non-new artists, especially when packages add new tools/version up, and we quickly want to get up and running with them for a production.

Personally, I could do with way-way less zbrush monster sculpting tutorials every month (really, how many do we need) and more varied tutorials for other packages and new updated tools in the software. I get it though, zbrush is the hip tool at the moment, and from a marketing standpoint, its probably what interest people in subscribing, gotta make dem $$s.

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

10 October 2013
I think they are great value for money for beginners and for intermediate/advanced users wanting to catch up with new stuff. DT definitely has the absolute largest content of any similar provider and they keep adding to it and keep it bang up to date when new software updates come along. DT fees are similar to the competition but the sheer quantity of content puts them way ahead in my opinion.

10 October 2013
i've purchased dvd's from gnomon and i always kinda feel ripped off or mislead. i dunno how they can charge 60$ plus 10$ for a tutorial that isn't even a follow threw step by step tutorial instead a speed lapse tutorial.with DT you pay 45 for tons of softwares and pipeline tutorials. and i don't know about this non professional deal, i research all the tutorial instructors and they all have legit professional backgrounds.eat 3d is good how ever it covers only a broad subject.

10 October 2013
I really like digital tutors. I'm fairly new to a lot of the topics, though. But there is a ton of information to learn, 9,500 videos on maya alone.

10 October 2013
I agree DT is really for beginners. But if you want to know exactly how professionals in the real world industry 'do it', it's better to listen to professionals. I've done my research on their 3D instructors there, I've looked at some of their portfolio sites, from their resume, they graduate from college and then become an instructors right away. No real industry experience.

Last edited by MissOptimist : 10 October 2013 at 03:06 PM.

10 October 2013
DT is really really great if you do not know the software and want to get up and running with it very quickly. They explain all the basics very thoroughly, so even if you are professional and want to learn a new software or migrate to one, DT is probably the best source of training for that.

That being said, once you are familiar with the software and already have established some advanced unique workflows of yours, DT training will not give you much, so if you are looking to extend your skills and knowledge online, then either advanced training like Gnomon Workshop, or CGSociety workshops or various Making of articles/videos are a lot better source.

10 October 2013
I got a DT subscription solely to learn RealFlow because I saw they had a 'learning path' that was something like 50 hours long!

As mentioned here many times, the DT courses generally do a great job of covering the basics and guiding new users through the software. But they do need a lot more advanced courses.
Again, using Realflow as an example, all of the comprehensive courses are using the outdated Realflow 5. The more recent courses focusing on RF 2013 or 2012 completely gloss over or omit the more advanced features altogether..

The 'Creative Development' style courses are very interesting though. They are a mixed bag, not done by DT staff but people from industry. - some are quite 'off the cuff'/rough and ready, but most are really helpful and interesting.

Overall, I got a subscription earlier this year aiming to learn RealFlow in a month, and i'm still subscribing months later because I think it's worth it.

Espire 1: My VR Stealth game - CGTalk thread

10 October 2013
One thing to remember is that even though they may put out tutorials not made by 'professionals' in the industry, that doesn't have any indication of the quality of the training. Many times I've encountered professionals who know a lot and understand a process or technique really well but struggle to communicate and teach it in a way that is understandable. 'CG Professional from X company' just looks good on the advertising.

Digital Tutors is great for jumping into new applications and getting up to speed on new skills plus there's more advanced content being added. They keep their basic training outcomes at a low bar so that the content is something that can be followed and produced by beginners and the teaching points kept clear and understandable, not getting bogged down in ultra detail or convoluted advanced processes.

Gnomon's final output in their examples looks great but can sometimes be 'here's the process sped up 500%' which doesn't really help.

Last edited by JoshBowman : 10 October 2013 at 10:34 AM.

10 October 2013
The way I see it is with DT even a retard will learn. I know this
I was subscribed for 5 months and honestly felt like I finished a school or something.

Thread Closed share thread