IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Monthly-010: -October 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #61
@banman7: I wonder if maybe you can change "dimensions" to planets? I'm not sure why the story may need to be "trans-dimensional".

My best relatable angle is "Kaiju are endangered species and Milton is a game hunter out of control"?

Old 10 October 2013   #62
My best relatable angle is "Kaiju are endangered species and Milton is a game hunter out of control"?

I did think about that but it wasn't fitting in just right.
It was way to generic.

My original for I love Kaiju was about Hiroshi who wants to be a suit actor especially after his hero is retiring.

Manuel is an actor on a set of many Tokusatsu films and is not keen on Hiroshi coming on as an actor. The two become rivals. Manuel usually gets to star as a Sentai warrior while Hiroshi plays the Kaiju. Their real life rivalry for one another plays out well on screen and begins to make them really famous as great suit actors.

In the interim beings from another planet are picking up the broadcasts and think the two are real both Kaiju and Sentai. There is a war going on between the Kaiju and sentai.

Manuel is abducted by the Zeroes. They are a tall, large human-like race of beings with Mecha's and they enslave Kaiju using various methods. They have mistaken Manuel as a sentai warrior. His captors are in trouble if their king find out so they amp Manuel up and make him superpowered and give him a mech.

Hiroshi is taken by a group of Kaiju and smaller monsters who thought he was the great Snailo the King of Monsters. They still want help and want Hiroshi to be the bridge between all races. They are tired of being used as weapons or destroyed for no reason. Hiroshi, secret not revealed, ends up becoming Snailo!

That was the original I love Kaiju plot. It has changed a bit since then.

Old 10 October 2013   #63
If any of you would like to give my prototype a quick try, I'm looking for feedback. I'm pretty happy with the general movement - still needs some tweaking, but it's good enough for a super-early prototype - but always welcome to hear what others think.

PC, MAC & OUYA have been tested and work. LINUX I just exported but haven't gotten around to installing Ubuntu to try it out yet, but if you happen to run it and can test that would be awesome.

http://www.reddit.com/r/PoleForceOn...mac_linux_ouya/

Old 10 October 2013   #64
Originally Posted by banman7: I did think about that but it wasn't fitting in just right.
It was way to generic.

My original for I love Kaiju was about Hiroshi who wants to be a suit actor especially after his hero is retiring.

Manuel is an actor on a set of many Tokusatsu films and is not keen on Hiroshi coming on as an actor. The two become rivals. Manuel usually gets to star as a Sentai warrior while Hiroshi plays the Kaiju. Their real life rivalry for one another plays out well on screen and begins to make them really famous as great suit actors.

In the interim beings from another planet are picking up the broadcasts and think the two are real both Kaiju and Sentai. There is a war going on between the Kaiju and sentai.

Manuel is abducted by the Zeroes. They are a tall, large human-like race of beings with Mecha's and they enslave Kaiju using various methods. They have mistaken Manuel as a sentai warrior. His captors are in trouble if their king find out so they amp Manuel up and make him superpowered and give him a mech.

Hiroshi is taken by a group of Kaiju and smaller monsters who thought he was the great Snailo the King of Monsters. They still want help and want Hiroshi to be the bridge between all races. They are tired of being used as weapons or destroyed for no reason. Hiroshi, secret not revealed, ends up becoming Snailo!

That was the original I love Kaiju plot. It has changed a bit since then.

I'll just throw this up in the air....

Hiroshi is a Tokusatsu actor in a show called "DEVIL RIDER". It's basically the highest rated TV show in Japan (and France and parts of the Middle East) about a Devil cyborg tokusatsu thingee where he fights the Monsters of Snairo, guided by his mentor Zero who promises him redemption from "the Devil that owns him now".

Hiroshi, though, in real life, is a self-centered, arrogant bastard of an actor who sleeps with his female co-stars and goes around being basically a jerk - cheating on his girlfriend Juno - who refuses to believe anything bad said about him.

On the last day of shooting, while having a drink with Juno, she confronts him about his womanizing, and Hiroshi gives his standard arrogant response to how he has the entire world around his little finger.

Juno can't take it anymore...She says "It feels like my world is coming apart." to which Hiroshi responds: "Better your world than mine." They break up, he doesn't care.

After shooting the final episode of Devil Rider, Hiroshi goes home but starts to exhibit symptoms that resemble how his on-screen character discovered he was "Devil Rider". Then Zero actually appears and tells him of how he must rid the Earth of the monsters of Snairo - to gain his actual redemption - because the Devil has "taken" him after living a real life of debauchery and sin.

Minutes later, and with Hiroshi still in denial, an actual monster attack occurs and Hiroshi becomes Devil Rider - and saves the day.

After a few more encounters, Hiroshi becomes close to a new girl named Megumi and Hiroshi starts to become a new man.... As the "real" Devil Rider, Hiroshi has become a super-hero and his old evil self starts to fade.

However, Zero warns him that Snairo is starting to piece everything together. Hiroshi learns that people close to him have been killed one by one. Beaten to death with bare fists. He must find and finish Snairo if he is to save not just the Earth, but his loved ones as well.

In the finale, Snairo lays a trap for Devil Rider when Snairo himself impersonates Hiroshi's real life lady love Megumi. Devil Rider is led into a trap and fights and kills Snairo after an epic battle.

Then the dying Snairo changes into Megumi. She dies in Hiroshi's arms.

Then Juno from the beginning of the show arrives....tells Hiroshi that "Now your world has come apart too". She reveals that she drugged his drink when she broke up with him with a powerful hallucinogen. He only imagined he was Devil Rider, but that he was really killing his own relatives and friends.

Just when Hiroshi thought he was actually redeeming himself, he had actually been sinking his life deeper and deeper into a hell hole the whole time.

Juno delivers the show's final punchline: "Through eight seasons of 'Devil Rider' all I wanted was to see how you could be a good man, but all it ever proved was how much of a devil you really are."

"With your own hands Hiroshi, you have killed her body, just like how you killed my soul. And now? Now I have killed you."

"This is your redemption."

As the police come for Hiroshi, he jumps off a roof and dies.

"DEVIL RIDER"

Tagline:
"It was only a TV show... until it stopped being one."

or

"Ride into Hell - One Fight at a Time."

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 10 October 2013 at 01:06 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #65
Wow that was a good story. Kind of sadistic but a really awesome premise. That would make a good live action movie in old style Japanese Kaiju films mixed with real life.

Wow but I was trying to go for a slightly more kid friendly show. But I'll keep it in mind.

You have a lot of great ideas yourself. Have you looked for funding in your country by chance? Do they have film grants? You have a short film under your belt. I bet you could get one.

Old 10 October 2013   #66
This might be of interest:

Investors aren't interested unless you generate $1M a day, says Fishlabs

Quote:
"Fishlabs CEO Michael Schade discusses why his studio has fallen on hard times.

The Hamburg-based studio, best known for the Galaxy on Fire series, was forced to lay off 25 staff last week, as it undergoes creditors' protection proceedings under self-administration.

Talking to PocketGamer.biz, Schade explained that the transition from premium to free-to-play caught his company offguard, as the mobile market continues to evolve rapidly.

"Ultimately, we were no longer able to deal with these challenges without the aid of a significant investment," he noted -- but garnering enough interest to get investors onboard has been easier said than done.

"Raising money is always a challenge, especially when you don't yet have a live game that shows great metrics - at least in a handful of countries," he added. "You might think success stories like Supercell have made it easier to raise money, but for some investors and even strategic partners the opposite is true.""

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ys_Fishlabs.php
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 10 October 2013   #67
Originally Posted by banman7: Wow that was a good story. Kind of sadistic but a really awesome premise. That would make a good live action movie in old style Japanese Kaiju films mixed with real life.

Wow but I was trying to go for a slightly more kid friendly show. But I'll keep it in mind.

You have a lot of great ideas yourself. Have you looked for funding in your country by chance? Do they have film grants? You have a short film under your belt. I bet you could get one.

Actually yes.

But right now I'm not at liberty to talk details. Genuine interest does exist. But as the article just cited by Ortiz shows, we have to remember that this is sort of like the "Post-Bubble Burst" world when it comes to animation and Visual Effects.

On the good news side, there's a bit of "free publicity" going on now with the Animation Council of the Philippines and some Producers showing interest in REVERSION and the other stories and concepts I'm developing.

The next event this month is that REVERSION (and a few choice animated films from the Animahenasyon 2012 festival) will be airing on a giant screen over a major thoroughfare in Makati City as the lead up to the GTMACCON 3 event.

So... that's going to be cool.... .although I have concerns about how the screen may not be True HD. :P

----------------

The "DEVIL RIDER" thing... I wrote it pretty quickly... thinking about "what single experience" I felt could come from "I Love Kaiju" for ME. I can run with the ball, but I won't always land where you want (or in any good place for that matter... I don't really like Bad Endings). But compared to you, I honestly think it takes longer to write "ensemble stories" such as the one you are developing where there are multiple worlds and multiple characters.

It's always easier to write something smaller. I may be old fashioned in stating this, but I think what the Devil Rider exercise tells me about "I Love Kaiju" is:

"CAN YOU START IT SMALLER?"

I guess you're going "full disclosure" so you're telling us there are multiple worlds etc etc. but I think it would go down easier, if maybe you found a way to compress the experience first. You can't have that many Kaiju for example to start with...

You can't have an entire army of Mech Riding Tokusatsu either... from Episode 1... Particularly, Tokusatsu have this visual language that can overwhelm people if there are too many of them.

I've seen a few Tokusatsu cross-overs where I actually knew the characters but once 20 or 30 of them are running down a cliffside... It's impossible to follow any story.

I think there's something there.. and the truth is I fell by the wayside.. cause I kind of compressed "I Love Kaiju" to "I love a Kaiju but she wasn't really one." But this was what I was inspired to think of when you presented the idea of a Tokusatsu "Kaiju Killer" finding something to love or self-improvement by loving the Kaiju or something.

I can't help feeling like it's maybe 2 or 3 stories? Like one is about a guy joining the Tokusatsu group "For real".... and another is about a Kaiju actor joining a Kaiju herd "for real". But it's really... loose.... You can go so many ways with it.

It's really big so I honestly had problems wrapping my mind around it.. and I coughed up that Revenge thing. But I think the advice I can give would be: "TRY TO THINK BACK TO THE TIME WHEN ONLY 'A NEW HOPE' WAS IN THEATRES AND NOBODY KNEW IF STAR WARS WOULD HAVE ANY SEQUELS."

Another important note is that "I Love Kaiju" as it currently appears sort of bears a resemblance to the original spec I heard about once for "Ghostbusters". The original spec included an entire 'Ghost Dimension' which was supposedly behind the gate on top of Central Park West. But, again, the advice to Aykroyd was to "Reduce it to the rags to riches story of the 4 Ghostbusters because this entire mythology and Jargon will just fly over everybody's heads."

You have to "pack it up" that way... neatly. But I don't want to force it on you, cause it's up to you to choose what you'll put away for the meantime and which bits you think you can push to audiences with the opening.

Old 10 October 2013   #68
I guess you're going "full disclosure" so you're telling us there are multiple worlds etc etc. but I think it would go down easier, if maybe you found a way to compress the experience first. You can't have that many Kaiju for example to start with...

You can't have an entire army of Mech Riding Tokusatsu either... from Episode 1... Particularly, Tokusatsu have this visual language that can overwhelm people if there are too many of them.

The cool thing about the story is that it is a serial and comic book format. I have a main story that will be movie but it will branch off into manga/comic.

I'm reusing everything from the movie to tell an expansive serial story, as the audience grows, if it grows, I will have all the scenes storyboarded with the comic and from there animate them, compile it into 1 movie.

I'm using the japanese marketing style. Manga/comic, to serial, ova. Where the manga is really just the storyboards rendered, the serial are the short animation clips in an app, and the OVA is the combination of the short clips with added scenes and animations. So I'll do a bit of a manga first to gauge the audience. With the rendered frames I'll be looking for more funding.

The story is big. Sadly I can never think small. This was supposed to be the smallest story I have. It was smaller because most of the humans are realistic vs the stylized stuff I was going for before. Stylized is always harder for me than the realistic stuff but it will have a similiar look to Rosa

Old 10 October 2013   #69
You know, if you follow the format stated on the first post on this thread, and post a WIP in the forum I can plug your project.

This is a great work.

BTW guys I wanted to share a story:
*SCAM* Adam and Antony Murphy's Imaginears *SCAM*

I recently found out that two Scottish kids, Adam and Antony Murphy who go by the pseudonym of "Imaginears" were going around pitching a short film idea and designs that I was responsible for.
They contacted me initially about a year and a half ago, asking me for both technical and artistic advice and I mentored them and gave them informal advice for months on end *at no cost.*

http://giro3d.blogspot.com/2013/10/...imaginears.html

Old 10 October 2013   #70
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: You know, if you follow the format stated on the first post on this thread, and post a WIP in the forum I can plug your project.

This is a great work.

Rob, if you're referring to "I Love Kaiju", I think that is already presented in the format in the first post. If you are referring to "Devil Rider", that is actually not a concept, it is a study I put together to place in comparison to "I Love Kaiju". If you're referring to "ROSA" it is actually be Jesus Arellano, who is represented by IAM Entertainment. "ROSA" itself is now at development under 20th Century Fox.

If you are talking about anything me and my team are working on, then I apologize... I have this thing against showing stuff at early stages. I do have a place and people (brutal people!) to hammer the story against.... But definitely when the time is right, we will come forward, because I think our experiences will be beneficial to everyone.

Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz:
BTW guys I wanted to share a story:
*SCAM* Adam and Antony Murphy's Imaginears *SCAM*

I recently found out that two Scottish kids, Adam and Antony Murphy who go by the pseudonym of "Imaginears" were going around pitching a short film idea and designs that I was responsible for.
They contacted me initially about a year and a half ago, asking me for both technical and artistic advice and I mentored them and gave them informal advice for months on end *at no cost.*

http://giro3d.blogspot.com/2013/10/...imaginears.html

And this is why I haven't really jumped in with the first people who immediately email/phone in with interest in our craft or what we've made.

It is kind of sad that things like this can happen. But they do happen sometimes when people are too forthcoming... which is sad also, because when people stop sharing or collaborating that's when "nothing happens".

Old 11 November 2013   #71
Hi everyone! I posted an update (a day late, doh!)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...020&postcount=2

Did I do this right? The basic gist:
RobertoOrtiz, that's sad to hear about the scammers. It happens at all levels, even in California!.
Banman7: One of the best screenwriting tips I ever read was Start late, end early. Even Shakespeare says it!
Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit,
And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes,
I will be brief
(It's from Hamlet)
Don't be overwhelmed!

Fishlab's story happens; the gaming market is shifting rapidly. In fact, all of entertainment is shifting rapidly. Community matters, new updates/content matter, and of course people are hard pressed to keep buying into new things. I'm very curious to see how the PS4 will perform. In movies we also have a hugely crowded market for just November! It will be interesting...

grantmoore3d! I played your prototype and it works great on my 2009 MacPro (using GTX 680 2gb ram.) I was able to move her around, turn her, run, and jump on stuff

Old 11 November 2013   #72
@daraand - Thanks for testing it out! I have a newer Mac but was curious about the slightly older ones, good to know it runs well.

Also, that mini series is looking pretty good so far. I'm curious about the audio, do you have a professional audio person on the team? The voice acting is fairly well done and overall the effects and music fit really well.

Old 11 November 2013   #73
We are live guys..
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=2&t=1131869

Old 11 November 2013   #74
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread