IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Monthly-010: -October 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #46
I Love Kaiju

Hey ya'll.

I was in need of some help. Maybe you can help me find someone or know someone who might be interested.

I'm looking for someone who can help me model the main character models for my series. I'm looking for a partner who would help me tell stories.

Since it is a commercial project I have a contract signed up for profit sharing, a small advance upfront, residuals.

I do a tier system profit share. Which means they get 100% of profits till first tier is met. 50% till tier 2 met, 25% till 3 and so forth. IT could be a dollar or a million dollars. The final tier is 10% lifetime and all extensions including merchandise, movie deals, etc. IT could be nothing or it could be something.

So basically I need about 6 models to start telling the story.
Other models like props and such I can do and I buy the other part of it.

It is so hard going at it alone and my stuff ain't coming out right.
I'm not a modeler. So if anyone has a friend or something please let me know.

Thanks

Old 10 October 2013   #47
Originally Posted by banman7: Hey ya'll.

I was in need of some help. Maybe you can help me find someone or know someone who might be interested.

I'm looking for someone who can help me model the main character models for my series. I'm looking for a partner who would help me tell stories.

Since it is a commercial project I have a contract signed up for profit sharing, a small advance upfront, residuals.

I do a tier system profit share. Which means they get 100% of profits till first tier is met. 50% till tier 2 met, 25% till 3 and so forth. IT could be a dollar or a million dollars. The final tier is 10% lifetime and all extensions including merchandise, movie deals, etc. IT could be nothing or it could be something.

So basically I need about 6 models to start telling the story.
Other models like props and such I can do and I buy the other part of it.

It is so hard going at it alone and my stuff ain't coming out right.
I'm not a modeler. So if anyone has a friend or something please let me know.

Thanks

This is "I Love Kaiju" right?

You need help with the story? Why? And if your story isn't final how do you know you only need 6 characters to start it off?

Also, didn't you already have some Pre-Viz art done by somebody you got from Korea/Vietnam/Thailand (not sure what place)?

Front end question: Do you have a buyer-in-waiting?

Old 10 October 2013   #48
I just watched the Pacific Rim a few days ago. And I too have a concept/story that I want to develop that can either be a game or a movie.

Here's how it goes:

But first, I want to break away from the mindset that alien are invaders instead they should be viewed as friendly benevolent beings who prevented World War III and deactivated all nuclear weapons by making them inert.

Title: "Human"

The story is about the humanities eventual realization that all of us on planet earth regardless of race are all alien to this world. We all came from other parts of the Galaxy and from other Galaxies as well. That humans were sent here on a mission to create Earth as a center for Universal Friendship and Cooperation. It will be a movie portraying aliens are us humans and that we came here long time ago. And that aliens are not here to overtake the planet nor invade but rather they are humanities distant relatives. Which means aliens are benevolent and friendly. That Earth was to be like a 'United Nations' but for the different planets and star systems of the Universe. It was suppose to be a gathering place for beings from allover the universe. Those who volunteered to come to Earth are each and every person living on Earth that is you and me and everyone else. Before we were sent, we were told that we are going to downgrade to a lower dimension from 7th dimension into 3D as the Earth is 3 dimensional planet. We were informed that all of us were to undergo the temporary removal of our memories. This means all of our past memories will be forgotten but will be restored in the year 2018 AD. And that all of us (7+ billion volunteers) who will go to Earth shall go through a repeated lifetimes of incarnation. This means we dont get to remember who we were before in previous lifetimes as human memories are always collected after every lifetime and stored on a great memory archival library on one of the cloaked (invincible) 2k mile wide mothership stationed near the solar system.

One of the main purpose of the mission is to study the behavior and psyche of people as they interact with one another and to prove to the whole Universe that we can all co-exist and thrive to live in peace and harmony despite the presence of the negative/resistance on a very low dimensional planet Earth. All of the star systems sent in their representatives, they sent some of their best people on Earth to become a human being. And that all of our lifetimes were monitored and studied while we were here. All of us will be given an avatar form called "human body". And we are to live and experience life on Earth from scratch without outside interference and influence. All systems, styles, traditions, educations, cultures and etc. must be purely develop locally by all beings who will live on Earth and their connections from their home planet must be temporarily withheld until 2015 AD.

And then something happened, beings coming from Orion invaded the planet and they arrived by the millions. They settled into a place called "Sumeria" which is a place in a country today called Iraq. They are called the Reptillians. They primary objective is to take over and rule the world. They too needed to transform their reptillian form into human body avatar. And they were able to successfully did just that. They were able to mingle with humanity without being noticed. They were able to defeat the ancient Atlanteans and Lemurians by doing a strategy of divide and conquer tactic.

Through them they able to create ancient empires, first with the Babylonians, then with the Persians. After that with Greeks and last but not least are the Romans. The formation of these empires were overseen by the Reptilians. They always put themselves on a high position of power whether on governments around the world and with corporations. All of their operations were done secretly as underground settlements/housing with various tunnels connecting most places on Earth were installed a few miles under the Earth. They were the ones who brought the system of slavery including the system of Debt and capitalism. Currency were introduced to the world by them, first with the Greeks and then into all the world. Today they are the owners of the biggest banks and biggest corporations.

These were all to change when all the Universes decided that it is time to step in and help the people of the world who were enslaved by the reptilians. Large motherships from allover the Universe have arrived within our solar system. Most of them at the moment are cloaked but some are not. The bright light infront of planet Venus is a big mothership which is just parked right there. Another mothership coming from planet Sirius is twice the size of the Earth is parked infront of the Sun.

The year 2014 is the year when the Galactics finally intervene to say enough is enough for the sufferings of the people of the Earth from the hands of the Reptilians. They came here bringing with them quadrillions and quadrillion tons of gold as a gift to every human being. And will begin to be distributed this December 2013 and onwards. Everyone will be free from the slavement of mundane work of long hours just to make ends meet as everyone absolutely everyone on Earth shall experience true prosperity and no one will be allowed to be poor on planet earth again. And with this people from allover the world will care for one another sending gifts to each other. And all the people and minions of the Reptilians will be arrested.

Then the Mass landing will occur sometime in the mid 2014. And each and every human will be visited by their friends and mentors that they knew so well even before they took on a mission to Earth. And eventually all of our memories will be restored back. Spaceships will land carrying free energy devices that will power our homes without the need to pay monthly bill. Each of us will be given an aeroship so that we dont need to use pollution oriented cars and airplanes. And finally, they will land worldwide and open their ships to the masses and heal those who have various diseases and illnesses. The blind will see again, the deaf will hear. Those who lost their limbs shall be restored instantly. And these are just the beginning of the wonderful story about the Earth and its future. Some of us will leave the planet to reconnect with our past. While others will stay to help the others to find their way out of the thick clouds of their own doubts and fears.

Earth once again will be back on course into what it was intended to be as the gathering place for all the beings of the Universe to meet, share and cooperate and foster friendship among the star systems of the cosmos. And then the Earth will Teraform and expand its diameter. From then on peace, joy and harmony was established not just on Earth but also from around the whole multiverses as the people who once inhabit the Earth brought with them knowledge and experiences and share them to the rest of the Universes.

This is the kind of movie I would like to see in the future.

Hollow Earth

If you can follow the Lochness Monster with a submersible, it can lead you to a doorway to the Hollow Earth.

Last edited by thepineman : 10 October 2013 at 02:59 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #49
Quote: thepineman

Title: "Human"

I want to start by saying welcome to the group and thank you for taking the time to share your idea with us. Sharing ideas is at the heart of what creating something remarkable is all about and can be scary. So props for putting yourself out there.

I also want to add a disclaimer that what I'm about to say is my opinion and it doesn't make it right or wrong. Its just my reaction to your idea, so feel free to take it, or leave it. Please don't take any offence to what I say, because I don't mean to offend you and only want to offer constructive feedback.

I don't want to be known in the IP club for causing trouble or trying to get people's backs up about their ideas. I only ever want people to make something really great.

--

What I think you should do, is strip the idea down to a much simpler, but stronger concept because at the moment, it is very convoluted and is fatally flawed.

I think what struck me the most about your idea, and what I think is the strongest point of your story, is that the entire of humanity's existence is predicated on the notion of an alien experiment. That is to say the very reason of how man came about is because of alien intervention, and everything over the course of human history has been observed and studied from beyond the stars. That alone, is your story. That is your hook, your big reveal at the end.

Remove the rest. Loose the Reptillians, remove the aspect of 'alien volunteers' and having their minds erased but its okay because they'll get their original memories back, remove reincarnation, remove the mass landing at the end, remove it all. A lot of it doesn't make sense and makes the story hard to process and swallow. Separately, in different stories, these elements can work, but together they cause conflict.

But from the notion I pointed out, that is your gold nugget. That is the stage in which you should then set your characters to play on, and the film would be about how they come to discover that massive bomb shell at the end.

How does a few, or a lone character, slowly come to the realisation that all of humanity is like the Truman Show? Do alien cameras fall out of the sky at one point? Is an alien ship found with records on them that hint at this? What happens when the human characters discover this? What are the conclusions that the alien observers draw from our history? That is the interesting angle of your idea, that is why people would watch a movie about this.

It offers mystery. A platform where the plot can reveal itself to the audience and the characters at the same time. It opens up questions about ourselves that are tough to answer because we may not like the 'truth.' Are we inherently violent, or was something introduced by the alien scientist observers along the way to make us so? What's love gotta do with it? Are the aliens intrigued by the fact that humans can be so evil, yet love so deeply at the same time?

--

Like I said, this is just my opinion. Take it or leave it. What ever you may start to develop, I hope you continue to shape your ideas, cultivate them and make something remarkable. Always study facts so that they may shape your fiction.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Old 10 October 2013   #50
Quote: I'm not a modeler. So if anyone has a friend or something please let me know. Thanks This is "I Love Kaiju" right? You need help with the story? Why? And if your story isn't final how do you know you only need 6 characters to start it off? Also, didn't you already have some Pre-Viz art done by somebody you got from Korea/Vietnam/Thailand (not sure what place)?

Yeah it is I love Kaiju.
I do have the previz art and getting more done. I just don't have alot of money.
I have all my story and things mapped out. Of the 6 models they are the only non- generics. I'm using a universal man-woman type model for all human characters.

The 6 models are very specialized characters. I can rig and animate. It is modeling certain things that give me trouble.

Old 10 October 2013   #51
@banman7 - Have you considered offering revenue sharing to get some help filling in the skills you don't have? I know a lot of hobbyists in games do that with some measure of success. Also, why not try to even see if someone is willing to volunteer? That's exactly how I got my concept art, my friend was looking to get some practice at sketching out someone else's concepts for his portfolio. If you really need help, talk to EVERYONE about your project and eventually you'll find someone willing to help out. If you do decide to offer revenue sharing, look up "grunt funding" model, which basically scales the percentage based on the number of hours and value being produced by the various members on your team.

Oh, also another option could honestly just be to make whatever it is that you can, even if it's terrible looking. Placeholder art can sometimes be useful to communicate the idea to other people and get interested volunteers.

Old 10 October 2013   #52
Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: Placeholder art can sometimes be useful to communicate the idea to other people and get interested volunteers.

Has a point there. George Lucus used archive footage of WWII dogfights as placeholder footage when he was showing Steven Speilburg the rough cut of his little known movie.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Old 10 October 2013   #53
Originally Posted by banman7: Yeah it is I love Kaiju.
I do have the previz art and getting more done. I just don't have alot of money.
I have all my story and things mapped out. Of the 6 models they are the only non- generics. I'm using a universal man-woman type model for all human characters.

The 6 models are very specialized characters. I can rig and animate. It is modeling certain things that give me trouble.

Again.. you mentioned you needed help with "storytelling".. I don't want to say too much without seeing the actual material, but I'm guessing it's heavily diverse.

The Pre-Viz had like Ultraman, armored characters, superheroes, Godzilla, stuff that looks like the Cousin of Godzilla..... If it's anything like "Viewtiful Joe" it's bound to cause Story problems.... Joe basically descended into "Screw the story" dynamics.

You can PM me the story... And I can give maybe a couple of my ideas on it... But more important for anybody you're approaching is you haven't mentioned if there is a "destination" (ie: buyer, network, marketplace, whatever) that the product is intended to go to.

If you don't feel like telling the world that Raffaella De Laurentiis is waiting for this pitch... you can PM me also about the "destination" for the product concept.

Don't get fidgety, I do this kind of help for a lot of people... It's called "getting feedback".

Old 10 October 2013   #54
Originally Posted by thepineman:
But first, I want to break away from the mindset that alien are invaders instead they should be viewed as friendly benevolent beings who prevented World War III and deactivated all nuclear weapons by making them inert.

Question: "Why?"

Why would the aliens be benevolent? What does it mean for the human audience that the aliens would intercede against nuclear war?

Why should an audience care about a world where we lost all atomic weaponry? What does it all mean?

For sure, this is sort of a breakaway idea, but a breakaway idea does not make a full concept (at least not on its own).

My suggestion is simpler. You mentioned you just came out of watching "Pacific Rim". This inspiration may just be "inertia" from having seen Pacific Rim. Write down what you can.... Give this concept 2 days.... go watch something else.

If you still feel the "pull" to do it after a couple of days.. then it's probably something workable... But if you come back to it after a couple of days and no longer like it... then you have to shelf it for a while.

Old 10 October 2013   #55
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Question: "Why?"

Why would the aliens be benevolent? What does it mean for the human audience that the aliens would intercede against nuclear war?

Why should an audience care about a world where we lost all atomic weaponry? What does it all mean?

For sure, this is sort of a breakaway idea, but a breakaway idea does not make a full concept (at least not on its own).

My suggestion is simpler. You mentioned you just came out of watching "Pacific Rim". This inspiration may just be "inertia" from having seen Pacific Rim. Write down what you can.... Give this concept 2 days.... go watch something else.

If you still feel the "pull" to do it after a couple of days.. then it's probably something workable... But if you come back to it after a couple of days and no longer like it... then you have to shelf it for a while.

Have you read the entire post I have written? Because if you have then you don't have to ask these questions. It seems you read only until you see the words Pacific Rim. The answers to all your questions is right before your very eyes - in plain sight! So I suggest that you read it again in full.

Hollow Earth

If you can follow the Lochness Monster with a submersible, it can lead you to a doorway to the Hollow Earth.

Old 10 October 2013   #56
@ shrunkendesigner- thanks for your comments. Your suggestion however is leaning towards making it similar to the movie 'Trueman' which is fine. But not just that i want to add more to it and not just make it simple; because it deals with the whole universe and beyond and so it should not be too simple as the entire multiverse is too complex. Some movies nowadays after you've seen it, you feel like you dont want to see it again. Part of the reason behind it is because the logic behind the story is too simple and too common.

The story I want to make is like a saga. It is not like a one movie spectacle, it will be a series - there will be part 1, part 2 and so on. And the scope of the story spans beyond the known historical record that we have. It starts during the time when Earth was just a brand new, newly formed planet in the Galaxy and it ends in the future. And then beings were sent here on a mission to become a participant for the grand experiment as well as a learning experience of becoming 'HUMANS'. And that the human body is an avatar developed as high technology organic mechanism that can only be powered by the presence of conscious beings of etheric energy from higher dimension. In other words the real you and me is not this physical body but rather the one inside this body.

So, my idea is to make it seem simple at first but as you look closer into it and study the details you will find that theres more to it than just whats on the surface. I want the viewers be able to say to themselves that this movie made them think and made their imaginations run wild (so to speak) and say I never thought of that before. Something that will engage peoples intellect and not to frighten them.

Hollow Earth

Old 10 October 2013   #57
Originally Posted by thepineman: @ shrunkendesigner- thanks for your comments. Your suggestion however is leaning towards making it similar to the movie 'Trueman' which is fine. But not just that i want to add more to it and not just make it simple; because it deals with the whole universe and beyond and so it should not be too simple as the entire multiverse is too complex. Some movies nowadays after you've seen it, you feel like you dont want to see it again. Part of the reason behind it is because the logic behind the story is too simple and too common.

The story I want to make is like a saga. It is not like a one movie spectacle, it will be a series - there will be part 1, part 2 and so on. And the scope of the story spans beyond the known historical record that we have. It starts during the time when Earth was just a brand new, newly formed planet in the Galaxy and it ends in the future. And then beings were sent here on a mission to become a participant for the grand experiment as well as a learning experience of becoming 'HUMANS'. And that the human body is an avatar developed as high technology organic mechanism that can only be powered by the presence of conscious beings of etheric energy from higher dimension. In other words the real you and me is not this physical body but rather the one inside this body.

So, my idea is to make it seem simple at first but as you look closer into it and study the details you will find that theres more to it than just whats on the surface. I want the viewers be able to say to themselves that this movie made them think and made their imaginations run wild (so to speak) and say I never thought of that before. Something that will engage peoples intellect and not to frighten them.

If you have a long story to tell, it is better suited to television. There, you can tell an epic tale and stretch it over a number of seasons.

If you want to make a film that makes people think, that is deep and has a lot of meaning under the surface, then I suggest you watch something like "2001: A Space Odyssey." There are a few simple ideas behind it, but below the hood, there are a lot of gears and cogs turning that are based on some very strong scientific notions. While some ideas have been scientifically evolved since, at the time it was made, it was as accurate as it could be.

Even the film "Inception," had a simple outline. In an elevator pitch, I could tell you what that film is about and what it sets out to achieve. But, if you've seen Inception, it is a lot more of a thinker that the outline might suggest.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Old 10 October 2013   #58
Quote: The Pre-Viz had like Ultraman, armored characters, superheroes, Godzilla, stuff that looks like the Cousin of Godzilla..... If it's anything like "Viewtiful Joe" it's bound to cause Story problems.... Joe basically descended into "Screw the story" dynamics. You can PM me the story... And I can give maybe a couple of my ideas on it... But more important for anybody you're approaching is you haven't mentioned if there is a "destination" (ie: buyer, network, marketplace, whatever) that the product is intended to go to. If you don't feel like telling the world that Raffaella De Laurentiis is waiting for this pitch... you can PM me also about the "destination" for the product concept.

I don't mind at all.

As far as end product it is a 3 way thing. I'm creating the movie.
Taking frames and creating a printed/web, taking animated frames and doing it up as an app
Then as I build audience with that farm out the movie to film distributors in various countries. So going 3 routes with one product.

The story itself is more in lone with the Neverending story meets Re-cycle meets Kaiju movie. Meets One PIECE or other Shonen style anime.
It has our Kaiju travel from Dimension to dimension out to get/stop Milton. Each Dimension is pastiche of various worlds and characters we are familiar with.

We will see our characters interact in different worlds. I have one quick scene where Milton finds himself in a world with a Freddy Krueger type character. Even though Milton is from a cheesy universe and Freddy is scary and not from a kids show it doesn't matter. Milton is use to fighting giant 30 story monsters. So I get to have a tongue in cheek kind of fun but also have fun seeing diverse universes meeting.

Milton is not all a bad guy either. There is some morally ambiguous traits. It deals with how would you act if your world came crumbling down, you learned that someone controlled your actions and made you a bad guy, then you had a friend who is just a's angry fueling you. Would you want to break the system? Would you want to stop it, take over?

Then while you are doing your thing you hurt and do things that effect others. Especially the Kaiju you run into. Even as a good guy he always killed Kaijus every week. What does he care? Now you have 3 pissed Kaiju after you.

Last edited by banman7 : 10 October 2013 at 05:49 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #59
Quote: Doing the game in that style... would be some kind of loop, or something. I'm asking around and my friends are saying to do the game in the inky style now... Its early in production so it won't matter if I redo the assets I've done already.

You should really push your render style more in this direction. As an early test it's coming well.

Quote: CONCEPT NAME: Ray & Clovis
CATEGORY: Animation
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: An animated series starring best friends and roommates Ray, a guitar-playing, sophisticated iguana, and Clovis, a cat with high energy, and low maturity.

daraand, Welcome
What's your target audience? And do you have any other plans than releasing a monthly episode on youtube?

Old 10 October 2013   #60
Originally Posted by thepineman: Have you read the entire post I have written? Because if you have then you don't have to ask these questions. It seems you read only until you see the words Pacific Rim. The answers to all your questions is right before your very eyes - in plain sight! So I suggest that you read it again in full.

Actually, I didn't want to labor all of the problems (I have) with this idea.

But I'll put ONE... ok? I'm not trolling...

You posit that the Earth was a central nexus for different races across the Galaxy to come together (ie: "Accept the differences of all Races in an environment of peace, acceptance, and underrstanding)... OK.. Good... But then.. if that is true.. .Why are we all masquerading as a single species? (ie: "Removal of all differences so that we can all pretend to be flesh and blood bipeds called 'humans').

The way in which all the divergent species of the galaxy decided it could come together was by masquerading as a "new species"?

How can we practice living with each other's diffferences if they have all been masked/eliminated/"downgraded temporarily"?

Why would "high dimension" beings.. from "many worlds" (and it can then be assumed there were many worlds that could support this "high dimension of life")... Why would they choose a world that was "low dimension"? It would seem that if there were many races... there would be many places where they could "Try and engage in peaceful understanding" without losing what is like... what? 4 of their 7 dimensions?

That's ONE issue.

Again.... My advice was.. "set aside for a few days".
Something usually comes to you later on.

Good luck.

==========

Now, if you want my advice? You change it to SOME of the humans are really volunteers from another Galaxy who want to "help each other" and the "lesser Earthlings" as an exercise of Peace and Love.....That is simpler, more relatable... and is still about "Good Aliens in our midst".

OK?

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 10 October 2013 at 08:37 AM.

Thread Closed share thread