Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #16
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
@ Grant Moore:

In my opinion, I still think the concept of Pole Force One would look better the sooner you all embrace how lurid the concept is supposed to feel:

The characters should look naked even when they have clothes on... and you have to adopt that busty chest, narrow waisted, wide-gapped-crotch-shapely legs look... with arms that look like they'd only look good around a man's neck.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #17
grantmoore3d
Geek Extraordinaire

portfolio
Grant Moore
Creative Director
ComboMash Entertainment
Vancouver, Canada

@Frotze - I agree, the Rhino dude and the comics are awesome. After you're done the animated film I'd love to see you guys make an online strip. Also, congratulations on such a successful campaign so far, hopefully there will be a nice little bonus at the end.

@CGIPadawan - Damnit man, that sketch is exactly what I've been trying to get out of my artists but thus far have failed. The art I have is technically well done, but it's lacking the sex-appeal. Everything I have feels average, when what I'm really going after is that immediate primal response you're describing. Once I get the source files from the 3D artist, I'm going to see if I can push what he's given me to closer fit what you're describing. All I really need is to perfectly nail at least one character, after that it's much easier to match stylistically. Thanks again for your awesome suggestion (and I'm going to definitely use that sketch for future reference, it's exactly what I've been trying to communicate).

Though, I must admit, these are exactly the kinds of challenges I was hoping to face as part of making this project. It's my first time doing any kind of "art direction" and asking others to do work for me, so from a personal development point of view, this is great. It's forcing me to learn how to get what I want out of others. Basically, I'm using this project as my "first" so if I make mistakes, it's not so bad... my next project is where my heart and true passion lies, I want to be prepared by then. So bumps in the road of this significance are okay, I'm just thankful I have people like yourselves to help me along

Last edited by grantmoore3d : 10-08-2013 at 05:39 AM.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #18
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Well all you have to do is work out the Style and then start telling point by point what you need - "Slimmer waist" , "fuller chest".... "Legs that seem to go on for miles"....

You have to be a bit patient and be aware that much like a race car being built with parts in the oven or various stages of fabrication, it's not going to look instant immediately.

You should look up Jeff Scott Campbell, and tell your artists to look that up, or most Western comic book artists like Jim Lee, Frank Cho

Japanese model makers like the Square Enix Play Arts line are also good places to look for more solid shapes that are definitely in the direction you need.

Square Enix Play Arts Kai Batgirl

Square Enix Play Arts Kai KEI from Captain Harlock

The biggest hurdle is perhaps articulating WHY your story or message REQUIRES this look other than "It's about Strippers". It can be very hard to do this.

To be honest, most times you find it isn't necessary to "go Sexy".

But then again, I'm here supporting you and a lot of the other IP makers so I'm "going with the plan".

P.S.: Oh and while we're on the subject of "going sexy and getting away with it"... The absolute boss of this category is Shirow Masamune.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #19
redCigarette
I.

portfolio
ishan shukla
Generalist
India

Concept Name: SCHIRKOA

CGTalk WIP thread:http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=153&t=1103500

Project Description:
SCHIRKOA is the story (an IP maybe) I will be trying to develop in coming years.
At the moment I am aiming at an animated Short Film. Followed by a graphic novel. And then let's see what else can come out. It's set in a dystopian city, involves bagheads and some other 'creatures'

Status Number: 8

Team Members:2
Ishan (Writing/Directing/CGI/Graphic Novel/everything else)
Yiming (Rigging/Animation/Simulations)

What went right this week:
* Finished Act 2 animatics. And working on final Act animatics.
*Yiming is maintaining a detailed excel sheet for the Animation and general scene arrangement. As we enter into production stage it will be crucial in standardizing stuff. He is working on Act 1 Animation for the protagonist.
*I am working on Act 3 and render tests at the same time. The animatics allows us to do a lot of still shots which will definitely save loads of render time.

What went wrong this week:
Act 2 was quite hard to pull off in animatics. Took a lot longer than expected. I was almost nervous that it wont work.

Show & Tell:
Here is a very important character of the film : LW (texture work incomplete)

And here is a still from ACT 1. (texture work incomplete)

Old 10-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #20
redCigarette
I.

portfolio
ishan shukla
Generalist
India

Quote:
CONCEPT NAME: Le Gouffre

Frotze and team,
Big hug guys. Really happy to see your hard work paying off so well. Good luck with the post production

grantmoore3d,
Good looking textures! As for the "Stripper" thing, IMO you should stick to your initial vision.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #21
dpendleton
Expert
portfolio
Douglas Pendleton
Washington, US

Send a message via Yahoo to dpendleton
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmoore3d
I quite like your suggestion of "Dancers" because it would open up the story a bit more creatively while still allowing me to maintain the original spirit of the game. Great suggestion, I'll give that a ponder and see how I can spin it. Ah, get it.. spin, like.. when you dance on a pole, right? Okay, I'll show myself out now. Thanks for the suggestions!

Also, I have a build ready for some very early testing if anyone wants to try it out. Basically just trying to get the basic motions feeling right before I bother with any art. Let me know how it feels if you have a moment to try it out! (Significant improvement over the video)

OUYA .apk

PC .exe

MAC app

I haven't managed to successfully export and run a Linux version yet. Well, actually I got it to run once, but I have no idea why that single time it worked... Unity should just export natively but I think my Ubuntu installation is missing something. Not really sure.

Call it gentlemen's club dancers brawl. I had to try,

Old 10-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #22
banman7
Frequenter
portfolio
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Quote:
@CGIPadawan - Damnit man, that sketch is exactly what I've been trying to get out of my artists but thus far have failed. The art I have is technically well done, but it's lacking the sex-appeal. Everything I have feels average, when what I'm really going after is that immediate primal response you're describing. Once I get the source files from the 3D artist, I'm going to see if I can push what he's given me to closer fit what you're describing. All I really need is to perfectly nail at least one character, after that it's much easier to match stylistically. Thanks again for your awesome suggestion (and I'm going to definitely use that sketch for future reference, it's exactly what I've been trying to communicate).

I have the same exact problem. So many artists failed to get what I was going for and since I was not a big boy with big budget it is hard to get them to go back and do revisions.

I feel your pain. I'd say get on Fiverr or deviantart and find that artist!

Quote:
The characters should look naked even when they have clothes on... and you have to adopt that busty chest, narrow waisted, wide-gapped-crotch-shapely legs look... with arms that look like they'd only look good around a man's neck.

Who drew tha?

I wanted to share a game my friend Satyajit is working on

Last edited by banman7 : 10-09-2013 at 02:55 AM.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 10-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #24
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

@Banman7: I drew the sketch... did it in all of 2 minutes.. straight-ballpen.... no eraser.
It's the best I could do in 2 minutes while illustrating my advice.

Warfront Defenders looks really awesome.... Would be very cool with Naval, Air/Anti-Air gameplay... and a Scenario mode like "Midway" or some of the stuff from the Liberation of France.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 10-10-2013 at 12:07 AM.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #25
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
This might be of interest:
New Amazon Appstore developer program aims to help devs get noticed
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...get_noticed.php
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 10-10-2013, 01:39 AM   #26
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

http://collective.square-enix.com/

This too looks interesting.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #27
grantmoore3d
Geek Extraordinaire

portfolio
Grant Moore
Creative Director
ComboMash Entertainment
Vancouver, Canada

I'm not really sure what purpose this "Collective" thing is trying to solve. It sounds like you just go through another layer of reviewing your pitch (which can be valuable) but I feel like there is some sort of hidden cost to doing this. I guess the one upside is that since SquareEnix is a part of this movement, you have their attention and that could lead to funding. However, the "die-hard indie" in me worries what I'd have to give up in return. Curious to see where that goes though, will be keeping an eye on it.

@redCigarette - Your style in the town shot it really reminding me of some of the art I see in many anime cartoons when they show the city. Just curious if you used that as inspiration?

Last edited by grantmoore3d : 10-12-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #28
grantmoore3d
Geek Extraordinaire

portfolio
Grant Moore
Creative Director
ComboMash Entertainment
Vancouver, Canada

A quick mini-update on Pole Force One. I was brainstorming all of your suggestions and the more I thought about re-branding them as dancers, the more I like it. I'm going to go with the middle ground and simply call them "pole dancers" and let the player interpret what they wish from that. Friends who had previously voiced concerns or distaste where now all over the idea, offering suggestions and coming up with fun ideas around the concept, enjoying it much more. So I think it's the best direction for me to take.

One idea that came out of the brainstorming session I immediately fell in love with and think it really helped mature the direction of my game. Basically, each character is going to have a uniquely defined style of dance and all of the animations are going to be, to varying degrees, based on that style.

So if they are standing there idle, they won't just be slightly moving but instead bobbing to the beat of the music. When they punch, the poses will be based on fundamental styles of their particular dance. Stringing combos together will be like a well choreographed dance, that just happens to include punches, kicks and weapons. I was happy with my story and the thematic direction I was taking, but the one thing that felt weak was that I didn't have anything particularly unique about the gameplay itself. I feel like I have that now and it helps solidify the entire concept.

If any of you have suggestions on particular dance styles, routines or moves you've seen, please feel free to suggest. I know nothing about dancing and have a lot research to do to pull this off right.

Okay, last thing, with the character complete I couldn't resist but throw her in along with some lights to get a sense of the "mood" I want to see in the game.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:26 AM   #29
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

@Grant Moore: I'd just like to clarify that my latest suggestion was, actually the "21 Jump Street+Girls in Short Skirts" suggestion with only ONE level referencing Pole Dancers and everything else being burger joints, the school quadrangle.. etc etc.... about under cover cops disguised as high school students busting a White Slavery Ring.

I was hoping that this suggestion would alleviate all the pressure over the "Stripper" concept.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #30
redCigarette
I.

portfolio
ishan shukla
Generalist
India

grantmoore3d,
Quote:
@redCigarette - Your style in the town shot it really reminding me of some of the art I see in many anime cartoons when they show the city. Just curious if you used that as inspiration?

I haven't seen too many anime but I am definitely inspired by some of the work Makoto Shinkai has done.
Quote:
Basically, each character is going to have a uniquely defined style of dance and all of the animations are going to be, to varying degrees, based on that style.

That's a very cool idea. By the way if you are dropping the 'stripper' thing altogether you must at least stick to the mature tone and storyline of the game. I really liked the mature-ish levels in the game bible you posted some time back.

Thread Closed share thread