(Every month I will spotlight one of the Incubator projects. To have a chance for a spotlight, just post a WIP on out IP incubator threads.)
Oni World: Klank's Story
Back in Janurary 2013, I started putting together art work for a world building project that I just wanted to build up over time as my own, unique IP called Oni World. I had no intention of monetizing it, trying to get work/clients off of it or any thing like that. I wanted to just create characters and stories for the sake of creating them.
Not too long ago, my co-worker Sam, a programmer at the gaming company I work for, mentioned he wanted to make a 2D platform game like Rayman and Abe's Odyssey. I thought, "hey thats cool," and didn't think any more of it.
Sam checked out my Oni World website and suggested that we make a game set in that world. So, although knowing it was going to be the death of me, I said "okay," and on the 1st of September, the project was born.
TEAM MEMBERS: 2
Me, Lloyd Harvey (@shrunken1985), Art and Design.
Sam Hellawell (@Beckiwoosh), Programming.
START DATE: September 1st, 2013
ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE : September 2014
WHAT WENT RIGHT THIS WEEK: We selected a character from my pre-existing roster, and decided that Klank's story, was the one we were going to tell.
SHOW AND TELL:
Pre-existing design of the Klank character:
Some Ogres who will be featuring in the game:
The Basalt Greenlands, a location in the game:
A Kotati Spirit, a key component in the story:
Production will start soon, so hopefully in the next few weeks I'll have some more stuff to share.
Please do post projects you are working on, I WILL eventually spotlight them.
Welcome to the IP INCUBATOR CLUB
IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Monthly-009: -September 2013
IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Bi-Week-007: July 1-July 28- 2013
IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Bi-Week-006: June17-June 30- 2013
IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Bi-Week-005: June 3-June 16- 2013
IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Bi-Week-004: May 20-June 2- 2013
IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Bi-Week-003: May 6-19- 2013
IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Bi-Week-002: April 22-May 5- 2013
IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Week-001: April 15-21- 2013
IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Monthly-008: July 29-August 31- 2013
Projects So Far:
---Click To Expand---
THE IP INCUBATOR CLUB.
/ˈɪnkyəˌbeɪt, ˈɪŋ-/ Show Spelled [in-kyuh-beyt, ing-] Show IPA verb, in·cu·bat·ed, in·cu·bat·ing.verb (used with object)
1. to sit upon (eggs) for the purpose of hatching.
2. to hatch (eggs), as by sitting upon them or by artificial heat.
3. to maintain at a favorable temperature and in other conditions promoting development, as cultures of bacteria or prematurely born infants.
4. to develop or produce as if by hatching; give form to: His brain was incubating schemes for raising money.
Welcome to the IP Incubator Club
The idea behind this Club is simple
POST MONTHLY UPDATES of Original IP that you are developing. Hopefully IP that can eventually help the creator generate some income.
Also you should provide CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK to the work posted by other posters of the club.
The idea of this "Incubator Club" is to get away from the gloom and doom and provide a lifeline of support for our fellow artists.
The artists will have at their discretion how much they wish to share on the projects they are working on, what program they will be using and the medium . But the IP HAS BE AN ORIGINAL CREATION.
YOU HAVE ONE WEEK TO POST AND UPDATE..
There are 3 ways to participate:
- IP CREATOR
Post bi-weekly updates of ip you are developing.
- A 3d artist developing a line of Vinyl toys on ZBrush
- A game developing working on a mobile game that uses Geo spatial data.
- An Artist working to update his porfolio
- A group of animators animator working on a weekly web series
- But If you post your idea, please provide feedback on other's ideas.
Provide reviews and comments of the IP being developed.
- I am looking for people like Roger Eberts of the world and not the Simon Cowels.DIVAS will NOT BE TOLERATED.
An experienced artist/ develop can offer mentorship for the IP creators.
- An AAA game developer looking to help upcoming talent
- Experienced feature animators could review game animations.
- Writers can comment on story points
My wife is a social worker and she suggested the idea that we use a SPONSOR model similar to AA. The idea is to match developers with individual sponsors. People whose responsability is to monito the progress of a specific project. The sponsors would be fellow developers. It would be their responsibility to provide support and provide guidance to the developer from an outsider's point of view. I'm not advocating "mentorship" where there usually is an imbalance of expertise/knowledge between two parties. Rather, I envision sponsorship to be a vehicle for peer support, for consultation between and among artists who each have valuable tools, experience, and knowledge to share. Sponsorship is method for both parties to learn and grow professionally and perhaps personally as well.
Ok so lets recap:
The idea behind this IP incubator club is to provide a cool hangout place for IP creators. recap....
Weekly threads will be posted, to provide encouragement for developer to keep working on their idea.
On way to see this is to think of us as a spotter on your local gym.
You use your WIP thread to post your regular updates, But ONCE A WEEK you post on the IP INC thread a summary, based on the forsmat posted blow.
- FOR GEN DISCUSSION of the IP CLUB CLICK HERE: Your Own IP?
- WEEKLY WIP are encouraged
- On your weekly post please Fill the following information (you can cut and paste it
STILL IMAGE: (VOLUNTARY)
Fashion (3D Printing)
STATUS NUMBER: 1
START DATEESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE : (Voluntary) -
WHAT WENT RIGHT THIS WEEK:
WHAT WENT WRONG:
SHOW AND TELL:
- WIP thread should be posted on the appropriate CGSociety/Game Art Sub forum and should follow the following naming convention: IP Incubator!:xxxxx:
- Only participants who follow the rules and submit a weekly Entry entry will be eligible for a monthly spotlight ( A frontpage plug).
- Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken off the thread.
- When you are done creating your IP please do give at least a thank you to the IP. We need the press.
ART LAW RESOURCES:
--CLICK TO EXPAND--
--CLICK TO EXPAND--
--CLICK TO EXPAND--