I'm done. Tell me about changing careers.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
I'm done. Tell me about changing careers.

I don't want to work in this industry anymore. After many close encounters with this moment, I'm finally here.
I've done the things I wanted from this job, and I want out.
I don't want to go into the reasons, enough posts pop up on this site to know this is not a career for the long term for a lot of people.
What I want your opinion for is the big: What to do next?
I get frozen when I realize that my focus is pretty small outside VFX.
I don't even know how work places that don't require sending portfolios work
What careers do you think are somehow compatible to what we do?
What have you found that people to after quitting CG?
Should I be better just starting from scratch?
I'm clueless at the moment. The only thing I know is that I'm done with this industry.
Thank you

Old 09 September 2013   #2
What kind of skills do you have?

Old 09 September 2013   #3
The "industry" as you call it is pretty big. You might just be in the wrong subset of the CG industry. More over, you might also simply be in the wrong role. As NanoGator said, where you go next depends partially on your available skills. Additionally, it also depends on your expectations & long term goals.

Theoretically, you could go freelance for a while, but that presupposes that you have a financial cushion. Freelance can be, and usually is, a "feast or famine" type of work. If you're in the position do to this, that's great. At the very least, it could buy you time to make a long term decision. It also helps you prevent significant gaps from appearing in your CV.

Nobody gets into CG to be famous or rich so you really need to decide what will make you happy. I can understand being burnt out over things such as politics, rough hours and so on. It can and does happen to the best of us. Those who survive have learnt to compartmentalize and prioritize. Separate work from home. Make time for yourself.

We're always taught to say "yes" to whatever is asked of us. In fact, we're even led to believe that saying "no" is tantamount to career suicide. The fact is, if you don't learn to then that is career suicide. You burn out or don't perform at optimal levels. You're good to nobody then, not even yourself. You need to allow yourself the freedom to recharge.

Any time you do something that's both creative and productive, you're going to be under the gun. You'll either demand a lot of yourself or others will. It can be a pressure cooker. Even when you work for yourself and call the shots, you're still answering to clients and being put under certain microscopes. If you can't deal with that then CG in its entirety is probably not for you. You might simply need to do something other than graphics; something without a production environment.

If you feel that you're not being challenged then you probably need to switch jobs. Maybe you don't have enough upward mobility. You might have already hit a ceiling where you're at. That happens somethings too. Promotion to a job with more responsibility will certainly provide you with a greater challenge. However, if you haven't hit the ceiling where you're at, you have to ask yourself why you aren't being promoted yet. Is it them or you? Be honest with yourself. Only you can answer that question.

Quitting your job is one thing. Quitting "the industry" is something totally different. You probably have a unique set of marketable skills. You can't just go to a regular office and do what everybody else does. Unless you have other non-CG skills, you may have to retrain and start from the bottom. When you've got bills to pay, that's a painful proposition.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't find something else to make you happy. You just need to know that choosing to do something different with your life comes with a price. Think this through.

IMO, I'd invest some personal time looking at other areas of the industry. Make the most of the skills you have. Consider taking the time to train yourself in some other aspects. There are many sites out there to help you with that. Build some new skills and challenge yourself again. Create stuff on your own time, however little there may be, that's uniquely you.

There are tons of graphics related jobs that aren't VFX. You've got games (indie or big), motion graphics, advertising, web related design, packaging design, print, GUI design, product & industrial design, ETC.

If you're totally, TOTALLY done... Asking here probably won't help you much. You might just want to catalog your overall skills and experience and start hitting the job sites. We're probably either going to tell you to stick it out, do your job better, or find different ways to do it somewhere else.

Old 09 September 2013   #4
Originally Posted by NanoGator: What kind of skills do you have?

What he said.
What were you doing?

And what do you want to do?

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 09 September 2013   #5
I ask because I worked at a software company for quite a while. I did some technical illustration for them and graphics for their website. I also know of the Arch Vis industry where you create conceptual renderings of buildings.

To put it another way: EVERY industry needs some form of visualization.

Old 09 September 2013   #6
Would going back to school for a new career be an option for you? If yes, do you know what might appeal to you?

Old 09 September 2013   #7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-jwWYX7Jlo

Old 09 September 2013   #8
Not knowing where you are going, only what you're running away from...
Because what can possibly go wrong with that? Mind, any possibility of flaws in that plan will certainly be offset towards success by accepting recommendations on life altering decisions from strangers on the internet who are likely to stick to what you're running away from.

Yeah, this is going to work out great

Figure out where you're going before you leave somewhere. The limbo inbetween is not a pleasant place to get stuck in for a long time, and if you have no marketable knowledge or skills that's exactly where you're likely to get stuck.
Once you've figured out where you're going you can ask pertinent questions in some forum discussing those subjects, I'm sure.

Thread Closed share thread