Disney's "Frozen" - Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
So.. .they have control shapes in their own window so that they don't clutter the scene view?

In the "Merry Christmas" animation test... was he posing the character by literally drawing into the scene?

Finally... .I'm not sure I want control shapes in another window... because my natural orientation is to "grab the character like I would an action figure".. So I like seeing the joint and manipulating it in-scene.

But this is coming from a guy who for a long time didn't like control shapes because I wanted literal "action figures". Today, I insist on Control Shapes for everything... even doors. lol.

10 October 2013
It is probably an optional thing. When I was at the studio earlier this month, I briefly saw a Wreck-it Ralph character that had control shapes in the scene that you could grab. There are also some examples online that show Ralph with control shapes

As for him posing the character with drawings, I think he was just drawing the arms.

10 October 2013
I can see situations though where it is very cool to have a window instead for holding "facing forward" mounted versions of the control shapes.

I bet this is particularly handy in cases where you video record faces for reference.... and you have the scene at angle as per storyboard, but you can at least move the control shapes relative to a frontal angle taken face reference.

The other thing is that for fine-tuning it is nice not to have the control shapes cluttering one's view. There have been situations where it kind of felt better to just nudge shapes in a window pane like control switches rather than grabbing them in-scene and sometimes ending up with a move I didn't like.

If it is switchable.. definitely very advanced implementation being demonstrated here.

But for Disney I expect nothing less.

10 October 2013
I don't know if it goes that far. My thought is that they just have a side interface for selecting the control shapes that they then modify in the scene view with the visibility of the control shapes being something they can toggle on and off. If I had gone with the character TD group instead of modeling, which I kind of regret now, I would probably have a better idea of their system though I don't think I would be able to talk about it.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: I can see situations though where it is very cool to have a window instead for holding "facing forward" mounted versions of the control shapes.

I bet this is particularly handy in cases where you video record faces for reference.... and you have the scene at angle as per storyboard, but you can at least move the control shapes relative to a frontal angle taken face reference

I'm not an animator-but most setups for characters that I've seen also have a 'head facing' ref camera relative to the rig so the animator always 'faces' where he needs for facial anim.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Finally... .I'm not sure I want control shapes in another window... because my natural orientation is to "grab the character like I would an action figure".. So I like seeing the joint and manipulating it in-scene.

Usually a feature rig (at least the ones I have experience with) have a lot more controlers than an action figure has limbs.
So to avoid clutter, and quicker be able to select the controler, it makes good sense.

Also, usually the UI will have other neat features like key all, and ability to select whole limbs and such. Like all mouth shapers, or all brow shaper. Or entire left arm. All left fingers.

So it makes good sense to select through a UI. Unless you have a simple rig. Then I too find it much faster to just grab the controler.

11 November 2013
Well I'm very old-fashioned... so what I used to have was control bones... and there's this other window with sliders.

But these days I'm not doing the rigging and definitely can see the merits of Disney's design.

11 November 2013
Guys the reviews are beginning to come in:

Frozen’ Review: Disney’s Best Animated Musical Since ‘Beauty and the Beast’
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

11 November 2013
Well it's a great review.... but I wonder if the designers of Elsa's Ice Palace will take offense in that after all their hard work studying snow flake structures and using that study to fabricate shapes and things.... that the average reviewer/viewer simply describes Elsa's Ice Palace as "not unlike Dr. Manhattan's Martian Palace"...

It seems to me though that much of the success of adapting "Frozen" was by finding elegant ways to fuse it to some of Disney's "usual weapons". "The Snowman who longs to see his first Summer", the contrasting Leading Men who are connected to the same leading lady (See: Enchanted)... The Sister Relationship element is definitely new.... but I feel the confidence in the material lies in the things they knew would work from the get-go.

11 November 2013
Reviews are starting to go online and the current RT score is at 94% due to a lone reviewer.

Having seen the film already at the CTNx screening, I can say I am with the side that enjoyed the film. Story wise, there are a few things done differently than expected which was nice to see. There were a couple things that were left unexplained such as the wolves. I guess that could be explained by the sudden, drastic change in weather, but that isn't included. The scene seems as if it is just there as a way of destroying Kristoff's sled so Anna ends up owing him a new one. Either way, I found the film to be a lot of fun with many memorable songs.

Also, I think Get a Horse is worth the price of admission alone. Especially in 3D.

11 November 2013

12 December 2013
I just came from the film and if was fantastic. Great work WDA.

12 December 2013
Can't wait to see it soon. The animation looks Tangled levels of amazing. I just wish there was less singing in Disney movies (personal preference).

12 December 2013
Well the movie is doing REALLY WELL

“Frozen” Smashes Disney Animation Opening Weekend Records

12 December 2013
I was quite happy with the film, they packed an immense amount of content and attention to detail in it. It was interesting that there was even a Rapunzel cameo in the film.

Thread Closed share thread