Darrolm
Frequenter
portfolio
Darrol Moore
Character TD | Generalist
Pasadena, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
So basically what it amounts to.. eventually would be "OK.. to do the cross over we'd have to re-do Rapunzel all over again.. every character made before Tonic or before Flourish will have to be re-done or there will be mismatch".

Also.. again.. it sounds like Marketing speak... but they do create the impression that it's a never-ending arms race and if you want to cross over assets properly you need to bump up everybody prior to Frozen up to "Frozen Level".. and that's assuming Frozen will be the last film before the major crossover.
Right, now I get what you are saying.

I would just chalk that up as marketing speak. As technology advances, they are always going to be moving forward creating new tools to better match the vision they have for the film.

They would probably end up redoing most of the characters anyways if they were to bring them back again at a later time because the pipelines change over time.If they created a film using Maya 2011 and are going to be doing a sequel 4 years later, they aren't going to just pull up 2011 again.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #32
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
It does kind of dampen the initial idea that there would be "asset re-use".

This points to a real difference between how animation is done in Asia and how its done in the West. Asset Re-use "as is where is" is pretty prevalent in Asia other than perhaps opening old files in new software and then doing "working migrations" for the assets.

The spanner in Rob's theory will be that inevitably attempting a crossover will result in a NEW task where the migration for assets is more than just double checking if features and rigging still work in the new software.

It's more "hero leads" than Disney will have had to use before (with the exception maybe of Snow White and the 7 Dwarves) and there's this dilemma of how to bring the characters back in, make them look recognizable while "upgrading" them for the new systems.

I mean who's to say what Rapunzel's costume will look with the new Cloth systems? Or how her hair will look when it's upgraded to 6 or 7 digit clump figures?

Old 10-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #33
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Or how her hair will look when it's upgraded to 6 or 7 digit clump figures?

I'd say Rapunzel's hair is a performance 'special case/s' for most of that film anyway. New rules might be applied if done over today-but done within confines of what that big 'hair serpent' needs to do...

Old 10-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #34
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
I think my main point is that it's not really very simple to do this "Princess Avengers" thing......Basically you end up with possibly slightly more effort than the usual Disney Original where you know your assets will be built around all the new dev work and you know you won't have this trap where you need to project "the style of the originals".

It's not impossible though, and in truth, the trigger will be if somebody at Disney sees a gap where no original has been greenlit... that's the gap in which a crossover makes sense.

OR if someone makes the argument that the older Disney films need to "generate new value" by having them come together.... I think that would be the biggest motivation to do it.

However, much of the value of the Princess line is merchandising... and as long as Disney's creatives can come up with new originals every 2 or 3 years, there won't be that opening for a crossover.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #35
webhead
Expert

I hate how they always demonize wolves in these movies. Wolves aren't evil creatures. I've seen them up close. They are actually quite loving. I know sharks took a huge hit after JAWS came out. Just sayin'.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #36
Darrolm
Frequenter
portfolio
Darrol Moore
Pasadena, USA

Well I wouldn't say the design of the wolves is demonizing, just their actions which is probably an extreme interpretation to how they may react to the extreme climate change.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #37
thethule
whataguy!
portfolio
Marc Khachfe
3d animator
Zebra Crossing
North London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead
I hate how they always demonize wolves in these movies. Wolves aren't evil creatures. I've seen them up close. They are actually quite loving. I know sharks took a huge hit after JAWS came out. Just sayin'.

Well, most people wouldn't want to be stuck in the woods alone with a pack of wolves, just as they wouldn't want to be swimming alone with a great white shark...Just sayin'

Old 10-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #38
Darrolm
Frequenter
portfolio
Darrol Moore
Pasadena, USA

New trailer dropped today.

I have seen more than a few people mention on Twitter that this is the trailer that makes up for the previous ones.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #39
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

No problems with any of that!
Looking forward to it in fact.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #40
evolucian
Lurkmeister
portfolio
Lulu
Compositor
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:

Arent bears in most cartoons now friendly? I mean u gotta have some wild creatures, dont know if the wolves are evil, not like theyre scheming to stab someone in the back and inhert their empire. Theyre just hungry.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:08 AM   #41
webhead
Expert

I don't want to belabor my point, or derail this thread anymore than it already is, but the only reason I even mentioned my concern about the way wolves are often portrayed in a bad light in movies is because wolves are taking a huge hit right now at a time when their numbers were just starting to climb back from the brink. I just think wolves get a bad rap too often. Anyway, I didn't mean to start a debate on it. I guess I must have tapped into that pack mentality. (pun intended)

Old 10-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #42
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
I don't want to belabor my point, or derail this thread anymore than it already is, but the only reason I even mentioned my concern about the way wolves are often portrayed in a bad light in movies is because wolves are taking a huge hit right now at a time when their numbers were just starting to climb back from the brink. I just think wolves get a bad rap too often. Anyway, I didn't mean to start a debate on it. I guess I must have tapped into that pack mentality. (pun intended)

They will probably end up as the 'minions' of the sister/villainess character.
And therefore distance themselves from 'real' wolves.

I know how Disney works.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #43
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
This might be of interest:

Countdown to Disney "Frozen" : How one simple suggestion broke the ice on the "Snow Queen" 's decades-long story problems

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...px#.UmKVrVWzKpg

and
Countdown to Disney "Frozen" : The flaky design idea behind the look of Elsa's ice palace
http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...px#.UmKWSlWzKpg
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 10-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #44
Darrolm
Frequenter
portfolio
Darrol Moore
Pasadena, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusboy
They will probably end up as the 'minions' of the sister/villainess character.
And therefore distance themselves from 'real' wolves.

I know how Disney works.
I don't think you do. The wolves are more likely just there to illustrate how Elsa's curse is affecting the wildlife. Also, Elsa isn't a villain in the traditional sense. The latest trailer shows that she does what she does more out of fear than just because she can.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #45
pomru
Expert

Check out the animation rig controls in this behind the scenes glimpse of Frozen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiomwhsCN6s

Thread Closed share thread