CGTalk > Main Forums > General Discussion
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-27-2013, 04:23 AM   #1
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Playstation 4 - Unreal Engine 4 Demo

So... For consoles....This is the leap forward?

Old 09-27-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Comparing $400 console to a top of the line PC and expecting it to look better?

Old 09-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Not necessarily.. but no DOF? Blacked out materials?

Those are pretty big omissions don't you think? Regardless of whether the PC comparison was present.

I mean.. I kinda recall Xbox360 and PS3 games already having DOF (even if it was manually forced blurs)... So the omissions kinda jumped at me.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 09-27-2013 at 06:53 AM.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

And it means nothing really. It only means UE4 is not optimized for ps4. Go look at The last of us, God of war 3, GTA5, Beyond, etc on PS3 and compare those to the launch titles when it first came out. If the devs can get those visuals out of a 9 year old console that has less ram than a budget smartphone I am pretty sure they will make some kick ass stuff with xbox and ps4 as well.

If you want the best visuals PC is always where it's at though.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
And it means nothing really. It only means UE4 is not optimized for ps4. Go look at The last of us, God of war 3, GTA5, Beyond, etc on PS3 and compare those to the launch titles when it first came out. If the devs can get those visuals out of a 9 year old console that has less ram than a budget smartphone I am pretty sure they will make some kick ass stuff with xbox and ps4 as well.

If you want the best visuals PC is always where it's at though.

Well I guess you're right.. just didn't expect even demos on new consoles to have to take a step backwards... I don't recall the first PS3 games looking WORSE than the last-of-line PS2 games do you?

Old 09-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
SebKaine
Expert

portfolio
Emmanuel Mouillet
Fx Artist
Freelance
Paris, FR

Quote:
... Go look at The last of us ...

Excactly , just wait that company like Naughty Dog put their magic into the beast , and i'm sure we will be crying in front of their first hit ... I'm actually crying each time i play the last of us which run on a 7 years old hardware ...

Old 09-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
EdwinKlijn
portfolio
Edwin Klijn
Amersfoort, Netherlands

I see quite a lot DOF in the PS4 version, although less pretty then the PC one.
If i'm not mistaken, this demo was created to show of particles (volumetric) so you're looking at the wrong details ;-)

Just look at the Watch Dogs demo. This shows things the PS3 simply can't.

That being said (by others), a console needs to grow. That's why i love my gaming-rig above everything else. Except for my wife ofcourse (she made me say this).

Old 09-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

Quote:

Well they did say PS4 will be more powerfull than PC for a few years (6 if im not mistaken), so...

I know thet meant the average pc, but the top of the line PC's of today are average PC's of tomorrow.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

Quote:

you can probably pull all that off on a $400-$500 gaming PC no problem, as long as you run it on TV resolution at 30fps like consoles do.

But then you'll be keeping this console for the next 6 years by which time a $400 PC will run circles around the PS4 with hologram vision, or what ever the new cool thing will be.

By far the biggest point of cost savings on the console is the lack of an OS, and with Steam and Google OS coming out this year, that might very well be changing soon.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki
you can probably pull all that off on a $400-$500 gaming PC no problem, as long as you run it on TV resolution at 30fps like consoles do.

But then you'll be keeping this console for the next 6 years by which time a $400 PC will run circles around the PS4 with hologram vision, or what ever the new cool thing will be.

By far the biggest point of cost savings on the console is the lack of an OS, and with Steam and Google OS coming out this year, that might very well be changing soon.

No you can't. This is the kind of misinformation magazines like PC gamer love to publish. Yes you can build a absolutely terrible gaming PC for $400 and no it is not going to be in any way comparable to a PS4. You are seriously out of touch if you think that $400 PC will be better than the console in six years when the devs learned how to code games to the metal on the console and your $400 PC has trouble loading the browser. That is the reason why we are seeing absolutely amazing looking games on 9 year old consoles today.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Lame. Optimized demos mean nothing. This is just catnip for some imagined "pc vs ps" war that fanboys like to engage in.

This yt commenter gets it right:

Quote:
XSwordOfWarX

Tired of reading console vs PC comments. I own a nice gaming PC and I'm buying a PS4 as well, so you guys can all play with your statistics while I enjoy being a gamer and playing games.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
conbom
Lord of the posts
portfolio
ET
United Kingdom

Quote:
You are seriously out of touch if you think that $400 PC will be better than the console in six years when the devs learned how to code games to the metal on the console and your $400 PC has trouble loading the browser. That is the reason why we are seeing absolutely amazing looking games on 9 year old consoles today.

Agreed but I don't think that will be the case this time. Since they are using general purpose architecture, the whole idea was that they would be able to get the most from a the system quite quickly. I'm sure they will be able to come up with a few tricks though, the main draw is the 8GB GDDR 5 ram, few if any PC's have this yet.

Regardless the demo's in my opinion were very close - a lot of it on the PC side was to show off features, the final "Frame" could be done on the other using a different methods of content creation.

Regardless, all systems these days have incredible compute performance and visuals, more than most developers know what to do with. People still complain though

Old 09-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #13
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Quote:
You are seriously out of touch if you think that $400 PC will be better than the console in six years when the devs learned how to code games to the metal on the console and your $400 PC has trouble loading the browser. That is the reason why we are seeing absolutely amazing looking games on 9 year old consoles today.

I'm pretty sure he's saying that a $400 PC that you buy nine years from now will run circles around a PS4, not that a PC you buy today will be great in nine years.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #14
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

I wish to clarify that I am in no way championing the PC over the PS4.. I was just noting the "Omission of certain Known VFX" in the PS4 demo.

I felt the PC split screen just helped to make it more visible...

To be honest I am currently really thinking very hard what I want after my current Wii+Xbox360 phase... And I'm basically looking PS3/PS4....

PS4 obviously because it's all new and SHOULD be better (but the demos have been shocking and not always in a good way)... And the PS3 because it's entire library is known to me and I never experienced all the Naughty Dog stuff.... and because it feels "close enough" to current demo PS4 such that I won't puke or anything at it. AND the PS3 is going to be pretty cheap now.

But I did also want to understand why a PS4 demo would suffer "VFX Omissions".. I felt we were past that point already and didn't expect it.

That's all.

Like.. I was hoping someone would explain to me how the DOF works on certain hardware and not on the PS4 as it stands today..... And no I'm not expecting like "Because the PC was more expensive"... I mean.. DOF is math right? So what about that math in the UE4 demo is the PS4 unable to do currently? I didn't expect it to be nearly absent in the PS4 demo.

That's kinda what I'm wondering.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 09-28-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #15
Apoclypse
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
I wish to clarify that I am in no way championing the PC over the PS4.. I was just noting the "Omission of certain Known VFX" in the PS4 demo.

I felt the PC split screen just helped to make it more visible...

To be honest I am currently really thinking very hard what I want after my current Wii+Xbox360 phase... And I'm basically looking PS3/PS4....

PS4 obviously because it's all new and SHOULD be better (but the demos have been shocking and not always in a good way)... And the PS3 because it's entire library is known to me and I never experienced all the Naughty Dog stuff.... and because it feels "close enough" to current demo PS4 such that I won't puke or anything at it. AND the PS3 is going to be pretty cheap now.

But I did also want to understand why a PS4 demo would suffer "VFX Omissions".. I felt we were past that point already and didn't expect it.

That's all.

Like.. I was hoping someone would explain to me how the DOF works on certain hardware and not on the PS4 as it stands today..... And no I'm not expecting like "Because the PC was more expensive"... I mean.. DOF is math right? So what about that math in the UE4 demo is the PS4 unable to do currently? I didn't expect it to be nearly absent in the PS4 demo.

That's kinda what I'm wondering.

Well we have no idea how optimized the UE4 engine is running on a PS4. Is EPIC using the unified architecture efficiently are they caching textures correctly on the GDDR5 ram, how good is their implementation of the graphics api that the PS4 is using over the much more common and well known DirectX (which the PC version is most likely running on), are they using OpenGL ES or are they using Sony's graphics language (forgot the name). What resolution is the PC demo running at? What video card are they using and what are the specs on the card (is it something like a Titan or are we talking about a kepler possibly a more realistic GTX680).

That's why I hate these comparison's, there is no information. On paper just on architecture alone the PS4 and XBoxOne should have benefits over a PC. Right now developers are getting to grips with the hardware and while the architecture is basically an x86 chip there are some differences, namely the unified memory and gpu. That should allow for things the PC won't be able to do without far higher specs. So if we can get a link to wherever the original comparison was posted hopefully we can get more information and make a proper comparison.

Right now all we have is a PS4 sucks post with no information. Not very helpful.

Thread Closed share thread