Passion For Games?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Passion For Games?

In order for someone to acquire a job in the game industry, must he or she actually love playing video games? What if he/she has the skills and appreciate the art behind the making of the games but as far as playing them, he/she has not much interest, would being in the game industry the right path for him/her?

09 September 2013
Definitely not, in fact, most of the artists I know who work in games honestly don't spend a whole lot of their free time playing, though I'm sure that doesn't apply to everyone.

Playing games and making games are two very, very different things.

09 September 2013
But when I see job requirements for game companies that are hiring, why do they put they need someone who have passion for games? What exactly do they mean by that?

09 September 2013
They want people who are motivated by the end product, while it's certainly possible to be a good artist who makes awesome game models without being someone who cares about games, it's better to have someone who's a good artist and also cares about games.
In some studios they also encourage employees to give ideas about how to improve games, if you don't play them then it would be difficult for you to help in that way.

09 September 2013
I think if you appreciate the art behind the game it's already enough. You don't have to actually play them for hours, but you do have to ... have a feel for it I guess.

09 September 2013
... Its kind of a newer recruiter question these days, but they don't know the difference unfortunately.
They ask,.."So,. are you a gamer?"

If they ask you that question,. just reply and say,.."I mainly follow what the art director asks,.. I'm an artist first and foremost, and I know the tools. [And with that being said], the term 'gamer' is more of a person who follows 'game design and the workflow of a game."
......................there IS A HUGE separation between the two. Interviewers use this question just to see what you say.
So think of a snappy comeback.. they might like it.

09 September 2013
Job posts that say "passion for..." anything, especially "cool" jobs like this field means lower pay. The HR people are machines that could work at a video game company or a widget manufacturing company without missing a beat, and they write those ads.

Artists and game designers overlap quite a bit, but they are distinct. Artists can probably get away with being less of a gamer. Obviously a designer can't.

Coworkers can only make so many references to this mega popular game or that mega popular game, that you are oblivious to, before concluding that you are dumb.

When I worked at a company with a game division, quite a few folks played games at lunch. If you are the odd man out, you would be disadvantaged, if for no other reason, because of the social dynamic; because playing group games with people locally is really fun, and builds bonds, fyi.

Any paying gig is worth applying to if you are just starting though. Fake it till you make it.

It is also worth mentioning that overplaying video games, being a legit gamer, and having weak artist skills would be bad.

09 September 2013
You'll also need to make yourself 'game aware'.
What are the industry trends for assets and design?
An art director says "make us this character's model"
are you gonna be able to make something the game can use
on the first try?

Game companies often give you little tests to do as part of the hiring/screening process too.

09 September 2013
A few years ago, I applied as a modeler at a game studio (right out of college). My portfolio was good enough to get me an interview with the art director and his first 3 questions were...

1. Why do you want to work in games?
2. What are your top 5 favorite games?
3. What are the last 5 games you played?

They obviously weren't meant to be challenging questions, but as a complete non-gamer, I had to stammmer and pause my way through the entire interview. I had stopped playing games during college to focus on my studies and hadn't played since high school. Needless to say, I didn't get the job and the art director later told me that it was simply because I didn't seem too interested in games.

So yes, it would benefit you A LOT to at least be a casual gamer if you want to work at a gaming studio. You are competing against so many game artists that actually DO like games.
Linkedin
"You do modeling? ...but you're too ugly."

09 September 2013
I'd say yes. Do You think, that there is anyone who works at Pixar, who has never seen a Pixar movie, and has no interest in doing so?

09 September 2013
They are asking that, because they want motivated people.

You're best bet: tell them, that you have a "passion for game art". That you love the art style / direction / design of games and often look at them. That you want to recreate them. But you're not much of a gamer.
This obviously needs to be true.. no need to apply for a game art job otherwise.

09 September 2013
You don't need to be a gamer but it would help. For some companies it is a requirement but for the most part no. I've worked with quite a few people on the art side of games that don't play games. They are just great artists.

www.pixelsinthemaking.com
My Blog
My reel

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by EtherDragn: I'd say yes. Do You think, that there is anyone who works at Pixar, who has never seen a Pixar movie, and has no interest in doing so?

Yes, they work in the Pixar Tools dept.

I don't think you have to enjoy the end product to be great at your specific role. Think of all the amazingly talented compositors/vfx artists who work on shitty hollywood movies that they'd never want to see.

I see some line like "must love games" on a job application is a way to get people in there that they can take advantage of, where their love for games can blind them into working overtime, etc...

09 September 2013
"Passion for games" is just a perfunctory phrase. They say it because they can't not say it. But you would be more likely to advance and be a greater asset to your employer if you were passionate about them. In many companies, every team member is expected to play-test or evaluate the game you are working on, and it's best if you have knowledge of the competition and a good baseline to judge your work against.

09 September 2013
When your job will essentially be building 50 different lamp posts and other assorted assets for three years, I don't think that a love for the game is all that necessary. A love for making lamp posts however should be a plus.

Thread Closed share thread