Disney's "Second Screen Live" - most appalling idea ever?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #31
Originally Posted by thethule: Oh and yes, cant you see all the miserable kids with there ipads, phones, bluray players etc...yes you would have HATED being a kid in this day and age...

I agree with Leigh, and your comment here is exactly why I agree. These are just various forms of the same "digital input device." They don't foster skills like sharing, changing, acting out, designing, or any of the million other things kids think to do when they are, you know, actually interacting with one another kid in the real world. While these things are occasionally effective "electronic babysitters", in our house they are not a substitute for actual parenting and learning from many different media. Digital media tends to be far too restrictive and simply teaches kids which button to push and not to think outside the bounds of the app.

My 8 year old knows how to use a tablet and has already seen far more entertainment content than I ever did by his age, but he doesn't have an ipad or a phone and won't for quite some time. We are trying to raise a real weirdo by making him read books (which he loves) and play outside.

For those who say "if you don't like it, don't go to these shows." Okay, you can leave now, but thanks for your "participation." The issue here is not that every movie screening will turn into this, but that kids are being raised to think that you should be able to "multi-task" every single thing in your life, that there's no value in simply slowing down and taking something in. I don't think it's unfair to say that if every kid went to a screening like this once a month, they would soon not be able to "withstand" a normal movie screening. This idea simply brings the inattentive behaviour most kids have at home into a public theater.

I can see how this is a bellwether experiment for studios and theaters, though. They are desperate to get families back into theaters, and will try almost anything to do it. If this is successful, I think you will see it employed more and more until a fair fraction of kids' movie will have screenings like this.

Last edited by Artbot : 09 September 2013 at 04:31 PM.

Old 09 September 2013   #32
Originally Posted by leigh: ....every time I go out these days, I see groups of adults, friends, sitting together but instead of enjoying each other's company, they're all sitting playing with their mobile phones. And kids are heading in the same direction. You don't find that horrid??

I do. And these people will defend this behaviour...why?

I actually saw a couple sitting across from us at the bar tables who were obviously on an early date. They barely spoke to each other and instead were buried in their phones. For 2 hours. If someone wants to explain to me the reasons for, or the appeal of this, I'm all ears.

Old 09 September 2013   #33
Originally Posted by leigh: . You don't find that horrid??

Actually, yes i do. Just this morning on the bus, i looked around and every single person had their noses in their phones...i was actually too embarrassed to take mine out because i saw what we all look like and how ridiculous everyone looked.

Old 09 September 2013   #34
I don't think most parents are buying their 10 and unders idevices, they just inherit the old ones.

These things have no resale value (I just checked my HTC 3d at 5 bucks...lol....), and hopefully won't for a while, indicating some innovation plateau, so kids are playing with the old versions of things they will need when they are 18-22...GREAT!

A little bit of sugar is great for kids, it is the lack of moderation that is bad.

Stay off my lawn!!!
(^the above might be a bit too American in reference for some here.)

Old 09 September 2013   #35
Originally Posted by leigh: And kids are heading in the same direction. You don't find that horrid??

I find it horrid. I also find it horrid that every time I drive down the road, the person holding up traffic is the moron that either doesn't have a hands free device or is texting and reading their smartphone device while driving.
We're all doomed and hopefully Google can quickly complete those automatic driving vehicles.

Old 09 September 2013   #36
Originally Posted by rhinton: I find it horrid. I also find it horrid that every time I drive down the road, the person holding up traffic is the moron that either doesn't have a hands free device or is texting and reading their smartphone device while driving.

My bad, that was me. I was trying to find directions to the nearest Bingo parlor.

But yeah, if I'm going to watch Little Mermaid, it's going to be at home on my own time!

Old 09 September 2013   #37
lol, this is theoretically a somewhat tech savvy crowd, at least as far as "artists" go, complaining about smart phones.

I am not getting this.

Old 09 September 2013   #38
Also a big number of people in this crowd are hard core movie lovers.
There is something to be said about the shared theather experience(film or live performance), at a dark auditorium. Honestly having people playing with an ipad ruin the whole concept.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 09 September 2013   #39
Originally Posted by Stankluv: lol, this is theoretically a somewhat tech savvy crowd, at least as far as "artists" go, complaining about smart phones.

I am not getting this.

No one said anything about smart phones. The "problem" is not with the device but with the user(s) and their anti-social habits (and how those bad habits are being passed on to our kids).

Old 09 September 2013   #40
Someone linked to a zen pencils webcomic a couple of weeks ago. Well last weeks episode was great, and i feel it really hits a spot when this stuff like this is concerned.

http://zenpencils.com/comic/129-mar...dia-generation/

Old 09 September 2013   #41
Originally Posted by Artbot: I do. And these people will defend this behaviour...why?

I actually saw a couple sitting across from us at the bar tables who were obviously on an early date. They barely spoke to each other and instead were buried in their phones. For 2 hours. If someone wants to explain to me the reasons for, or the appeal of this, I'm all ears.

Don't forget everyone of them is also listening to their music perpetually thanks to the on-board MP3 players. Why do they even bother-just stay home and rot instead!

Back on topic. As a parent I'm not crazy about it.
Also whose supplying the iPads in the theatre? Lets say you've got 4 (or more) kids?
-you ain't got that many 'old' ones.
-your pretty much a lazy-ass-idiot parent if each of your kids has their own iPad already and you deserve it when they all come back to live with you after they finish school.

Old 09 September 2013   #42
To me encouraging kids to pull out their iPad or whatever device in theater is never a good thing... it is a bad habit, it always will be. Not something you want to teach your kids.

Old 09 September 2013   #43
Originally Posted by thethule: Actually, yes i do. Just this morning on the bus, i looked around and every single person had their noses in their phones...i was actually too embarrassed to take mine out because i saw what we all look like and how ridiculous everyone looked.

I was a very late adopter to cell phones in general just because of the cost. I was at a training session hosted in a hotel and during one of the breaks I went to the lobby and just sat to clear my head. Not having anything else to do I was people watching and that was the first time I really noticed everyone in the lobby with their phone stuck to their ear. Not only that but the random wandering everyone was doing like they couldn't control their feet while on the phone. That's when I came up with my term for it "grazing". I had this funny picture of a bunch of cows wandering around in a field talking on cell phones.

Back on topic, I do realize that this smart theater is geared toward kids not adults but someone has to take them to the theater and buy the tickets. Ain't gonna be me.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 09 September 2013   #44
Originally Posted by circusboy: Don't forget everyone of them is also listening to their music perpetually thanks to the on-board MP3 players. Why do they even bother-just stay home and rot instead!

If you're joking with that last line, it is not clear. I think the major majority of people see this just as black-and-white as you present it: You can either use all this expensive electro-junk, or you can lock yourself in a closet and never come out. My point is that it doesn't have to be black and white. That you can choose to not be on the phone/ipad/constantly texting.

Old 09 September 2013   #45
Originally Posted by leigh: What a perfectly atrocious concept. Although, the worst part about it is the pushing of technology onto kids in the first place - whatever happened to, you know, being a kid? Playing in the mud? Cops and robbers in the forest? No, let's buy them all iDevices, sit them in the cinema and make them push blinking buttons.

God, I am so glad I am not a kid today.

Every kid is different. Growing up I didn't like mud, I liked computers. Now, whether or not iPads count as computers, or if todays kids are learning anything of value using them is another question...

I think this is fine... it's a little stupid but there's no harm here. It's for kids in select theaters. You won't have to go to them just like you don't have to go to a 3D movie. I can certainly sympathize with the hate of having a bunch of tiny blinking lights in front of you from all the little LCD screens, then again, I doubt anyone likes that so the adults that go will go purely for the benefit of their child.

edit:
Originally Posted by leigh: But I didn't say they were miserable - kids love sugar, but it doesn't mean it's good for them, right? Personally I think it's awful the way kids are spending their lives indoors with high tech gadgets. Just look at what it's done to adults - every time I go out these days, I see groups of adults, friends, sitting together but instead of enjoying each other's company, they're all sitting playing with their mobile phones. And kids are heading in the same direction. You don't find that horrid??

Not every tech-lover is doomed to that outcome. I eat out a lot with co-workers, and while we do use our phones during the meal, most of the time is spent talking with one another. I've never had a meal with people without some sort of meaningful conversation.

I donno... reading some of the rest of the comments here I think maybe I was a little premature in the first part of my response. Although I'm a born computer-geek I didn't have a cell phone until I was 18, and didn't really get into texting until recently... and I still find it a little annoying. Maybe it is a problem. I'm not sure how outrage over Disney's Second Screen will help though unless its part of a comprehensive plan to keep your kids away from gadgets.

And if you do keep your kids away from gadgets, please be smart about it. My parents tried to do that for a few years to me with computers. I believe it set me back. Be mindful of your child's innate aptitudes, and understand that not everything they like is harmful.

Last edited by trancerobot : 09 September 2013 at 04:56 PM.

Thread Closed share thread