what SciFi movies, pre-1970 would you like to see redone?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #61
Originally Posted by Michael32766: A Fahrenheit 451 Remake has been in the works for years. I think Mel Gibsons Company Icon pictures has the rights. I once went to a talk Ray Bradbury did before he passed away. I asked him about it and he said he had not been consulted on anything. Someone did pass a copy of a working script to him and he was less than happy with what he read.
A Fahrenheit 451 remake is one of those projects that could be really great or a complete train wreck. Oddly enough Bradbury himself said the story wasn't about censorship but about passion and what drives people.

I thought Icon's involvement was long passed, like when they were supposed to be doing THE PRISONER from a Christopher Mcquarrie script.

The best idea I ever heard about FAHRENHEIT was in a book of essays about SF films from the 80s, which suggested it be about the temperature at which celluloid ignites, and have it about films being burned.

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Old 09 September 2013   #62
While I agree that might make for an interesting movie in its own right, I personally think this wouldn't have very much to do with Bradbury's original work. I understand kids today don't know what a book is anymore, but maybe the movies can be educational in that respect.

Old 09 September 2013   #63
Originally Posted by TimothyElliot: I'd like to see Fahrenheit 451 (1966). I think it could easily be updated to address social and technological issues in our current world.

So they'd be burning a bunch of ipads and kindles then?

FYI, 1984 was remade in (when else?) 1984. Was first made in 1956, from the book, obviously. That was a pretty well-made remake, but a hell of a bleak film. But then that was the point, right?

Old 09 September 2013   #64
If you want an interesting insight into Fahrenheit 451 try to find a copy of the Theatrical Play that Bradbury wrote. It provides a much better insight into the characters motivations than the book does.

Old 09 September 2013   #65
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) is one of my all time favourite sci-fi films.
I did not like the remake at all. It was great told simple. Throwing in a bunch of unnecessary effects just ruined it. Robot locusts ha!

Old 09 September 2013   #66
Originally Posted by Artbot: So they'd be burning a bunch of ipads and kindles then?

FYI, 1984 was remade in (when else?) 1984. Was first made in 1956, from the book, obviously. That was a pretty well-made remake, but a hell of a bleak film. But then that was the point, right?

Actually Fahrenheit 451 is still incredibly topical.
The key problem with all these books in electronic formats is the fact that they are stored in media that is designed NOT to be permanent. Since we are moving towards an "always connected" world, there are ways I can see in the near future that could make sure that devices don't play certain banned content.

Say a book like 1984 .. and BTW there is precedence for this:
Amazon recalls (and embodies) Orwell's '1984'

"In a widely criticized move, the retailer has reportedly taken back copies of two electronic books after the publisher decided it no longer wanted to sell the e-books."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10289983-56.html#!

What if the only way you can keep certain banned content is the old fashion way, using printed book? Books are a great medium for distribution of knowledge in an anonymous fashion.
Devices like the Ipad and the kindle, in a way centralize the content (ie books) , track it and make it very, and I mean VERY, disposable.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 09 September 2013 at 04:11 AM.

Old 09 September 2013   #67
Buck Rogers in the 25th century

Old 09 September 2013   #68

Adventures of Dr Doolittle (1967 set in Victorian times?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhoA_xhLnk

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rLJMzUJf34
Or better yet

The Great Race (Jack Lemon in INCREDIBLE in this film, But I HATED Tony Curtis.)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO9lYVnAHTQ.

]And BTW I would love to see them try to capture the sense of fun these flicks had.

Old 09 September 2013   #69
I still haven't thought of anything pre-70s with a story I had to have re-done
today (I think the integrity of the original idea would change too drastically
and be unrecognizable in many cases by today's Hollywood).

So later then-hows about?
-Logan's run
-Silent Running
-Ice Pirates
-Dark Star
-A boy and his dog

Old 09 September 2013   #70
Fro mthe 70's there two films that I think should be remade
(bacuse the premise is too good and the orginal execution left a lot to be desired)

Logan's Run (I would keep the sand men costumes BTW)
Westworld (They need to bring characters from Deadwood into this)

Old 09 September 2013   #71
50's
forbidden planet
when worlds collide
target earth
them

60's
last woman on earth
soylent green
on the beach
the day the earth caught fire

70's
silent running

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 09 September 2013   #72
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: Westworld (They need to bring characters from Deadwood into this)

This has been in development hell for ages.

As for all the Silent Running suggestions....no! I love that movie too much, and NO studio would go for the environmental tree-hugger message. Some movies are just too much a product of their time.

Old 09 September 2013   #73
I think JJ Abrams is involved with WestWorld at the moment. I bet Westworld will be rebranded as Fantasy/King Arthur World. The original movie had a sideplot where all of the action took place simultaneously in a Roman theme and Arthurian themed parks as well. I think cowboys and large Hollywood budgets are about to go on a trial separation for a bit. Game of Thrones world sounds more appealing to me anyways.

Old 09 September 2013   #74
Originally Posted by Artbot: This has been in development hell for ages.

As for all the Silent Running suggestions....no! I love that movie too much, and NO studio would go for the environmental tree-hugger message. Some movies are just too much a product of their time.

You could do SILENT RUNNING with NO ecology message. Remember, the movie is basically Trumbull taking separate scripts by Cimino, Bochco and somebody named Washburn, and combining them together into something that was totally different from his original story (in which the 'silent running' title actually made more sense.)

His notion in quick summary: one guy and some robots on a company ship, about to get pensioned off, decides to screw them by taking off and cruising on his own. He gets the robots to paint the ship black so it isn't visible and then spends awhile interacting with them, but by becoming isolated from the human race, he gets selected by aliens as an ideal first contact choice.

When he gets the signal a ship is coming,he thinks it is the company, so he turns off the air supply and tries to play dead, but then passes out right before contact is made. The aliens come inside (all POV stuff), realize the guy needs air, and turns his system back on and leave. He comes to, realized aliens have been there, and that one of his robots stowed away on the outside of their ship, so he spend the last part of the film trying to make contact with them through the robot. At this point, the company DOES show up, so he is trying to hold them off while directing the robot to get inside the alien ship.

Just as he is about to get a look at the aliens, the company breaks open the hatch and (remember, this WAS the 70s) he gets incinerated by a flamethrower. The movie ends with the robot taking a picture out of himself and the guy and showing it to the alien (who probably would have looked like one of those utterly cool unused bits Trumbull worked up for 2001 that Kubrick didn't use.)

I'm pretty sure you could remake SR using that story or some variation on it and folks probably wouldn't even recognize it as being based on the Dern film. I kinda wish Trumbull was doing THAT story as his big HFR space project, but apparently it is a much different kind of story.

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Old 09 September 2013   #75
Originally Posted by trevanian: When he gets the signal a ship is coming,he thinks it is the company, so he turns off the air supply and tries to play dead....

He won't be just playing dead, mister...

Thread Closed share thread