Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #46
trevanian
Expert
Kevin H. Martin
freelance writer
USA

I think QUATERMASS & THE PIT is still kinda dead in terms of remaking. Goyer was gonna redo it after DARK CITY, but then MISSION TO MARS happened and pissed all over it. I think he had it at Disney, and I think maybe that is why he wound up on it for awhile (I think around the 32nd rewrite) ... I think he is credited as a producer not a writer on M2M.

I remember reading a M2M draft that was so different than the movie it wasn't funny (not much better though, which is hard to believe.)

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Old 09-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #47
TimothyElliot
Veteran

Timothy Elliot
San Francisco, USA

I'd like to see Fahrenheit 451 (1966). I think it could easily be updated to address social and technological issues in our current world.

For fun, I'd love to see another Flash Gordon (the 1936 version, not the one from 1980).

Old 09-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #48
Michael32766
Frequenter
mash
hey can you fix this?
Digital Migrant Worker, Mongolia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyElliot
I'd like to see Fahrenheit 451 (1966). I think it could easily be updated to address social and technological issues in our current world.

For fun, I'd love to see another Flash Gordon (the 1936 version, not the one from 1980).

A Fahrenheit 451 Remake has been in the works for years. I think Mel Gibsons Company Icon pictures has the rights. I once went to a talk Ray Bradbury did before he passed away. I asked him about it and he said he had not been consulted on anything. Someone did pass a copy of a working script to him and he was less than happy with what he read.
A Fahrenheit 451 remake is one of those projects that could be really great or a complete train wreck. Oddly enough Bradbury himself said the story wasn't about censorship but about passion and what drives people.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #49
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:

You mean the old b&w TV one with the street level "bioterror/disease" angle... and the mystery of "Where did this illness come from?" And then only much much later do you reveal that the source of the disease is a hostile alien force?

A World War Z vibe with sports jock Flash Gordon, his glamorous life as a top athlete taken down by this apocalyptic disaster, finds other survivors particularly among them a NASA scientist, with a long held theory that no one listened to, and in the course of surviving eventually discovers the whole disaster is caused by a hostile alien race led by Ming the Merciless. Flash then sheds a previous life of being a narcissistic primadonna to be savior of the Earth...

Yeah, maybe.... But would only work these days with a film that doesn't call itself "Flash Gordon".

Might still work as "Flash Gordon".. if you DELIBERATELY give ZERO details or images for Ming the Merciless or the Alien Race itself... so that the reveal of the Aliens is the genuine surprise (the magic "45th minute reveal" if you will).

I can see the poster tagline: "There is a hero in all of us."

Yeah.. maybe...

Old 09-14-2013, 01:09 AM   #50
unclebob
MALA IPSA NOVA

the bob
b/cs, USA

on the campy side, how about The Incredible Shrinking Man, with the advancements in cinema he could shrink to atom sized.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:14 AM   #51
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

I ignored Flash Gordon 1980 for years. I had seen it promoted mostly due to the musical group that did the score and I prefer symphonic but after a recent movie review mentioned Sam Jones I thought of the movie again and checked it out. I really enjoyed it. The two leads were weak but when surrounded by so many pro actors it didnt seem to matter. Had some great visuals and costume design although I found the flying hawkmen and ship scenes to be unimpressive (except for the cloud tank skies-I liked those).

This Ming is a psycho.

Shrinking effects could benefit a lot by cgi.
They cant convey scale well with traditional props. Water especially.
I watched Incredible Shrinking Man recently and thought about the way water was splashing. They tried but it just wasnt going to sell a water effect well.

Good Matheson script.

Actually that reminds me
Master of the World would be a great film to redo. The sequences with an air ship descending on a war to disrupt the fighting could look really impressive nowadays.

Last edited by kelgy : 09-14-2013 at 01:27 AM.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #52
Hirazi
none of the above

Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob
on the campy side, how about The Incredible Shrinking Man, with the advancements in cinema he could shrink to atom sized.

While I personally find the idea revolting, the real scary part is that it is already "in the works". Apparently they even have the author of the original novel on board, aged 87.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #53
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirazi
Apparently they even have the author of the original novel on board, aged 87.

Had.
He's dead. Unless they made him into a zombie.

Though it reminds me of a story the Man Who Collected Poe where a guy resurrects Edger Allen Poe and forces him to write new works for his collection.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #54
Bjur
Veteran

portfolio
Alexander Buhr
Student
Hannover, Germany

Quote:

Possiblities were there and got used several times.

Some heavyweights like Fahrenheit (I like) just don't work as usual remake, blockbuster wise and close to the original story of course.

The story and the message itself are depending on their "Zeitgeist" and had emotional impacts to the audience these days we will never get. Even we understand anything and love the movie itself, it wouldn't be the same I guess..

Now there had to be a mind killing plot about a hidden totality with parallels to something evil we know from the past like the 3'rd Reich or american communismn witch-hunt e.g. (reflecting present things if possible) or a fictional totality (with mind killing visuals) and a plot which takes place in our future and shows why totality should be hated because inflicted mankind in near all belongings, especially free being/mind at least (also reflecting parallels to our present if possible).

Both versions could work for a movie, but won't never walk the same emotional bridge
as Fahrenheit did in it's time..

Audiences today just can imagine some social hell as we don't feel to live in one.
Audiences back then breathed a social hell in their past in one way or were living right in one another later..

I think theres no need for remaking a great heavyweigth like Farenheit as there already tons of movies made which tried to tell Fahrenheits tenor again and again, even in different ways - unfortunately, mostly in an average way, like "Equilibrium" just to name a more famous, newer one..

Younger masses don't care about "messages" about totality itself nowadays (it seems), except for a short expected thrill which goes by like everything, thus Hollywood, don't know..

* Edit: I forgot to name: Buck Rogers!

Everthing seen on any screens till yet wasn't cool and deserve a visual buff as the base story and setting rocks and giving all freedom to every designer nowadays as there no hardcore fans left I guess.

Last edited by Bjur : 09-14-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #55
Stankluv
Lord of the posts
Martin S
USA

Marvel's Ant-man will either kill a shrinking man movie or drive a "being small is cool" fad, complete with "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" reboot, I imagine. Those movies were a big deal, but I don't feel as compelled/nostalgic about them like I do, say..Back to the Future (1&3, still SO good! 2...meh)

I looked forward to reading F 451, after trying the movie too young, yet old enough to read the tv guide synopsis as "sci-fi-me-like". The book didn't work for me, in 10-11th grade and I was a heavy reader then...I don't think it works in today's world very well. As bad as things seem on the news some time, we are free free free! : )

Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers need to do something in the next 20 years or so, or they will completely fade away. Given their multi-generational span (they were reboots when it was cool to be a reboot I guess?) Buck Roger's DNA, aka Rip Van Winkle, actually feels pretty well distributed in a lot of movies so he might be done.

Flash Gordon is pretty much just, "throw sci-fi fantasy stuff at the screen and see what sticks." You could probably tint John Carter of Mar's hair blond, and dub over the names to the Flash staples, and call that a Flash Gordon movie. I think Flash is going to (lol, I just Googled Solomon Kane as an example of an obscure pulp hero that never caught on, but a new movie is coming next year, lol.)...who knows, maybe Flash Gordon has fans that will cry for him in their 50's.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #56
Stankluv
Lord of the posts
Martin S
USA

I meant Allan Quartermaine, who was in King Solomon's Mine, as the obscure character.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #57
Hirazi
none of the above

Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelgy
Had.
He's dead. Unless they made him into a zombie.

Though it reminds me of a story the Man Who Collected Poe where a guy resurrects Edger Allen Poe and forces him to write new works for his collection.

You're obviously right. Must have missed that.
Won't stop the production, though, I'm afraid...

Old 09-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #58
Chicano3000X3
Expert
portfolio
Jay Muro
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimski
I'd rather see something original, not another remake, especially not a remake of Metropolis(there's been an anime version in the 2000s btw)

I'd like to see Metropolis. I think it's one of the movies where each generation should have it's own version of it. Like King Kong.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #59
punchatz
PRO
portfolio
Greg Punchatz
Janimation
Dallas, USA

[QUOTE=Dillster]"Day of the Triffids" for me.

"Quatermass and the Pit" I think could also benefit from a resurrection.
QUOTE]

Always knew it as 5 million miles to earth..and it is a great film that could make a good remake

For me
Barberella (hard R)
Forbidden Planet
Flash Gordon
Sinbad
Jason and the Argonauts
Shrinking man
Cat People
island of dr moreau... which is in the works

Old 09-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #60
Stankluv
Lord of the posts
Martin S
USA

I was thinking about Sinbad. Between that and Hanna Barberra's Kazam, and later Aladdin, my childhood had very strong, positive Arab folklore references (me, b. 1974 Boston, MA, USA, Irish descent). I bring it up because I truthfully can not imagine a wide distribution A+ Sinbad movie in today's world. Plus, it would be similar to another Pirates of the Caribbean thing, I imagine.

Thread Closed share thread