what SciFi movies, pre-1970 would you like to see redone?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #31
Originally Posted by unclebob: A little tidbit of information, Zardoz was rated X when it first came out. really tame by today's standards. gawd I'm older than dirt.

Maybe an x certif in the UK, but it was an R in the states. I wasn't yet 14 when I saw it, and even though I was tall for my age, there's no way anybody would have let me into an x-rated movie (and my mom wouldn't have let me go or go herself for that matter.)

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Old 09 September 2013   #32
I still want a "Runaway" remake.

Old 09 September 2013   #33
Impossible to match the old charme & naivity: Barbarella!

I'd say this is one of those movies every serious try of a remake close to the original will be doomed to fail hard by nature.

But you could translate the original story and setting into a new kind of "Sci-Fi
meets Indiana Jones" action adventure movie featuring a hot superwoman of course.

Modern and well made Sci-fi adventures including sexy space suits..

I would definitely go watch it! ^

Old 09 September 2013   #34
Originally Posted by trevanian:
For me, X THE MAN WITH THE X RAY EYES is the one decent film to remake.

Good call!
The visuals could really be amped up in interesting ways.

In theory anyway.

These days the script would be so simple and transparent you wouldnt need x ray vision.

Old 09 September 2013   #35
lol, this is a timely news bit

Luc Besson wants to, not redo, not a sequel, a revision of the 5th Element. Specifically because he made it right before the big CG democratization/accessibility movement.

http://io9.com/luc-besson-still-wan...ment-1304352611

good for him.

(I think the fine print is, "just a random question and not some specific deal being cut", but still funny.)

Old 09 September 2013   #36
Originally Posted by Stankluv: lol, this is a timely news bit

Luc Besson wants to, not redo, not a sequel, a revision of the 5th Element. Specifically because he made it right before the big CG democratization/accessibility movement.

http://io9.com/luc-besson-still-wan...ment-1304352611

good for him.

(I think the fine print is, "just a random question and not some specific deal being cut", but still funny.)

He had that chance already... it was called "LOCKOUT".... If he was so damn hungry, he would have directed that one instead of just producing.

Old 09 September 2013   #37
well...that was Escape from New York. In Space.

space

space

space

Old 09 September 2013   #38
Besson's main gripe wasn't story.. it was that he didn't get to "play" with the new VFX. LOCKOUT should have been quite a joy for him...

I'm seeing LOCKOUT this weekend actually, so I'll get to see first hand what Besson passed over. :P

Old 09 September 2013   #39
Originally Posted by Stankluv: well...that was Escape from New York. In Space.

space

space

space

ha ha ha!

But Lockout was awesome!

I was willing to pay the ticket price to Iron Man 3 support Guy Pearce actually, (which also appear in Prometheus). He was awesome in Don't Be Afraid of the Dark.

Anyway, since there was no 3rd "Escape from", don't blame Lockout for filling the void.

I don't even know if it was a homage, considering that smoking was a plot point (sorry, won't say the spoiler). I like it for what it is. After all...

"The more things changed, the more they stay the same" - Snake Plisskin.

I wonder if they are more open about the homage, people can accept it more (the way Solid Snake was based on Snake).

Old 09 September 2013   #40
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Besson's main gripe wasn't story.. it was that he didn't get to "play" with the new VFX. LOCKOUT should have been quite a joy for him...

I'm seeing LOCKOUT this weekend actually, so I'll get to see first hand what Besson passed over. :P

Go ahead and enjoy it! Some are predictable, are are nice touch, some are interesting. Just take it for what it is.

Old 09 September 2013   #41
Sorry, haven't read the whole thread, this merely is a gut reaction based on the OP:
"What SciFi movies would you like to see redone which were made before 1970?"
NONE, NONE WHATSOEVER.
If they were good they have every right to stay the classic they undoubtedly already are, not potentially defiled by a modern remake. And if they were bad to begin with, they shouldn't be remade also obviously. Ergo: NO REMAKES.
(sorry for the shouting...)

Old 09 September 2013   #42
Talking

Originally Posted by Ordibble-Plop: It looks like Robert Rodriguez was trying some exaltation transference on Barbarella but unfortunately their psychocardiograms did not reach perfect harmony.

I'd love to see a Barbarella remake, if it were campy enough!

How about a remake of "Plan 9"?

Old 09 September 2013   #43
Originally Posted by WoolyLoach: I'd love to see a Barbarella remake, if it were campy enough!

I actually think Barbarella would be a great candidate for a remake, if the tone was right. There's a lot that has evolved in the realm of women's rights and societal mores since it was made, so any move away from "sexy space-kitten" to "empowered woman owning her sexuality" (in a campy sci-fi setting, of course) could make for an interesting update.

Old 09 September 2013   #44
"Day of the Triffids" for me. There was a TV series remake in I think the 1970s and another one a few years ago. But I'd like to see the movie remade.

"Quatermass and the Pit" I think could also benefit from a resurrection.

"King Solomons Mines" is another.

My Dad has all those old ones on DVD and VHS. I watched them and didn't feel satisfied enough because I felt they are not good enough for newer generations of viewers.

Old 09 September 2013   #45
I like Quatermass and the Pit. Interesting idea because it has the "Chariots of the Gods" story well before the book was written but there must have been an ancient aliens as devils story in print long before Quatermass in the 50s.

I can tolerate the fx from older movies because the quality of the acting and writing is usually good and I dont watch movie strictly for an fx rush A lot of films from older periods have strong theatrical roots so they dont cut to closeups very often. One film I dont like the fx for and feel detracts from the viewing experience is the Devil Rides Out. I read the owner of the story rights insisted on doing the fx himself. There's a devil creature that is lit so brightly --I just cant find it remotely scary. A few years later another UK company did Blood on Satan's Claw and the devil was very well done in that. Shown in close up but enough of it kept hidden so it gave off a weird creepy feeling.

I like the John Huston's Moby Dick but the whale fx could benefit from a little boost. I think that book could do with a high budget remake.
Same with Frankenstein. The creature should be entirely digital or mostly digital if it was to follow the book's exact description.

Thread Closed share thread