what SciFi movies, pre-1970 would you like to see redone?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #16
Originally Posted by circusboy: Bladerunner because its just too 'perfect' as it stands.

Not a remake, but those things Roy Batty saw that "you people wouldn't believe"?

I'd love to see them on the silver screen. ^_^

Old 09 September 2013   #17
FORBIDDEN PLANET - Samuel L. Jackson as Morbius...

FANTASTIC VOYAGE - Michael Bay directing... The patient blows up at the end. Wait...

:-)

Old 09 September 2013   #18
Leave the old films alone. Let's see fresh, new content.

Old 09 September 2013   #19
Originally Posted by Artbot: We shouldn't be arguing about the business of Hollywood and whether any of these suggestions are in any way realistic or likely (which is exemplified so well by your suggestion to remake Star Wars...????). The reality is that remakes/reboots happen because of two things: Title or franchise recognition and ownership of rights to the property. It's silly to try to argue the actual feasibility of such remakes since these are the only two things that matter to Hollywood. No one there says "Wouldn't it be cool to do a reboot of "Trog" because, you know, it would be cool!"

I agree but I was just answering to shrunkendesigner, why there aren't any more original films and how hollywood is going to continue down this path of remakes.

Lol how can you not see the vision of a Star Wars remake, nearly ever director would be fighting over it. Joking aside, I was think of how Star Trek has been rebooted and that Star Wars might go down the same path and have a different style to it.

I think your last line "wouldn't it be cool...", sometimes makes me think that someone in Hollywood actually did think like that, for example when they tried to remake Akira into a live action.

Moving on, Gremlins? what can they do with that idea, since it was pretty much covered by the original. There's another film that's could have been as big as Star Wars and it'll be interesting to see, The Black Hole. I didn't realise it was 1979 when it was made. I believe it's being developed.

Old 09 September 2013   #20
Originally Posted by Darkherow:
I think your last line "wouldn't it be cool...", sometimes makes me think that someone in Hollywood actually did think like that, for example when they tried to remake Akira into a live action.

Akira is still being shopped around, last time I heard. That abomination might still get made.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Old 09 September 2013   #21
Originally Posted by Darkherow: Lol how can you not see the vision of a Star Wars remake, nearly ever director would be fighting over it. Joking aside, I was think of how Star Trek has been rebooted and that Star Wars might go down the same path and have a different style to it.

A good director is no guarantee of a good film (Prometheus). This a purely hypothetical exercise.

Originally Posted by Darkherow: The Black Hole. I didn't realise it was 1979 when it was made. I believe it's being developed.

That's been in development hell for literally decades. It's a pretty good candidate, but I can't help think it would be the same dumbed-down "Hell is inside the black hole" crap. In the 70s they had only just confirmed the existence of black holes (they had been theorized long before that), so I think they'd have a hard time getting around the problems of what we know about them now (that you are probably never going to be able to actually fly into one, or even get near one). But if someone like James Cameron wants to take a hardware-heavy shot at it, I'd watch that. :-)

Old 09 September 2013   #22
an Akira reboot could be great, the movie is decent. and deserves its legendary status based on the technical animation quality alone, but a small fraction of the cool in the comics made it in there.
Give me US Special Forces with bio terrorist weapons please.
Give me 3-4 other Testsuo's please.
Give me the scarification of the moon please.
Give me Tetsuo vs. an Aircraft Carrier group please.

that shit would be cool.

"Reboot" and "Remake" have become dirty words so maybe just, "based on the same premise as" or "along the same lines as" would be more palatable? The hitchhiker Guide family tree is the right idea.

Blade Runner as an example, my understanding is that it is unrecognizable from the source material, which I haven't read. An original movie called "Android Sheep"...I like that title hella more than blade runner...which to this day I think is a dumb title. As to its perfection, which version are you talking about...I definitely despise the unicorn in one of the Director versions I've seen...it is hard to keep track of it. And I prefer the theatrical voice over too.

To the op, Fantastic Voyage was the only one I could think of.

Old 09 September 2013   #23
It's funny that you mention Prometheus, this was taken from wiki(fair enough not the most reliable of sources)-

Quote:
In November 2009, it was reported that Disney has plans to remake the movie. Director JosephKosinski (who directed Disney's 2010 blockbuster Tron:Legacy) and producer Sean Bailey are attached to the production, and Jon Spaihts, who wrote the original script for the Alien prequel Prometheus, was confirmed as writer for the project on April 5, 2013.

So you never know that it might get made. Unfortunately I don't think James Cameron will have time since he's making Avatar.

I forgot to mention that if there was a remake of Star Wars, Leigh needs to be cast as Darth .

When I was looking James Cameron's Filmography I found a film I totally forgot about, made released on 1980 Battle Beyond the Stars, another candidate-

Old 09 September 2013   #24
Originally Posted by Darkherow:
I forgot to mention that if there was a remake of Star Wars, Leigh needs to be cast as Darth .

In that case, I'd cut off Luke's head instead of his hand so we won't have to listen to him whining anymore!

Old 09 September 2013   #25
Originally Posted by leigh: In that case, I'd cut off Luke's head instead of his hand so we won't have to listen to him whining anymore!

But he was only going into Toschi Station to pick up some power converters. Sheesh!

Old 09 September 2013   #26
Akira has several major problems. One of them is that people would scream we already seen that because there were so many things that were borrowed from comic book in the past and put in another context. Another problem is that a proper Akira movie would be probably rated PG13 or something like that, so it wont be huge blockbuster and why bother, at the end we already have amazing comic book. We should definitely see something new.

Old 09 September 2013   #27
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: I completely missed the obvious...

ZARDOZ!

A little tidbit of information, Zardoz was rated X when it first came out. really tame by today's standards. gawd I'm older than dirt.

of course Forbidden Planet remake would have to have the gratuitous sex and violence: "the Lieutenant and I were just trying to get some healthy stimulation from hugging and kissing, that's all." yeah, only hugging and kissing.

seriously though, I know CGI is thought to be the dearth of todays films and what drives most, but "IF" the story line could be maintained, with the quality of todays CGI it might not be too awful.

Old 09 September 2013   #28
Forbidden Planet is among my favorite movies. It was practically the "Star Wars" of its day technologically. I'm not sure I favor it being redone.

As for sequels, can someone please tell me how a sequel is not an original movie? It's a serial feature film, no different than serial television. How is that unoriginal?

I can agree with some of the argument regarding remakes. Some are remake for remake sake. But I can see one reason why remakes are valid. If its capable of replacing the previous version in both story and quality. If it can't do that its pointless.

Old 09 September 2013   #29
It looks like Robert Rodriguez was trying some exaltation transference on Barbarella but unfortunately their psychocardiograms did not reach perfect harmony.

Old 09 September 2013   #30
Originally Posted by Stankluv:
Blade Runner as an example, my understanding is that it is unrecognizable from the source material, which I haven't read. An original movie called "Android Sheep"...I like that title hella more than blade runner...which to this day I think is a dumb title. As to its perfection, which version are you talking about...I definitely despise the unicorn in one of the Director versions I've seen...it is hard to keep track of it. And I prefer the theatrical voice over too.

I think you could do the novel and have something that stands pretty much on its own, apart from BR. There's a lot of bg in the novel that could come to the fore in a film version, but there are other aspects (Rachel and Pris looking the same) that would seem very played out (and would have back then too.)

For me, X THE MAN WITH THE X RAY EYES is the one decent film to remake. Normally I don't say redo with new effects, but this one has a decent story and could really benefit from strong visuals. Burton and Depp were supposed to do it back in 98 or 99 but did SLEEPY HOLLOW instead.

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Thread Closed share thread