CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
unclebob
MALA IPSA NOVA

the bob
b/cs, USA

what SciFi movies, pre-1970 would you like to see redone?

What SciFi movies would you like to see redone which were made before 1970? I am talking good dialog and CGI.

I would like to see Forbidden Planet and Metropolis redone. Forbidden Planet seems to be an on and off project, more off than on. :-(

Old 09-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

I'd rather see something original, not another remake, especially not a remake of Metropolis(there's been an anime version in the 2000s btw)

Old 09-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

Yeah not crazy about remakes but one I think could be improved is the Earth Dies Screaming. Its about aliens wiping out most of the planet's population and deploying their own versions of lunar robots to collect things. I liked the idea but the fx were really bad.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
redbellpeppers
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Chris
Standing, USA

I'd like to see Michael Bay do 2001.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
onedee

portfolio
United Kingdom

Same here, Id be more excited about seeing new original films rather than remakes. But to actually answer to your question Metropolis would be great to see redone...

Old 09-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
shrunkendesigner
Frequenter

portfolio
Lloyd Harvey
Freelance Concept Artist
Billericay, United Kingdom

In my mind, I say enough of remakes, reboots, sequels and prequels. I think it's time to be brave and start making original films again.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Old 09-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Pacific Rim because - geez - look how 'old' it is?!
Bladerunner because its just too 'perfect' as it stands. Hollywood needs to 'dumb-it-down' for slack-jawed-yokels and have them 'consume' it. Yeehaw!

But seriously-as a kid I thought the The Starlost was amazingly kewl. But its dated by today's standards. If they could make a film out of it without making it too dumb.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

I will add to the "let's make new movies, not re-hash old ones" brigade. But something like Metropolis could be interesting if it were done by someone at, say, Scorsese's level. A movie like that really needs a sense of grandeur and style, but grandeur isn't really in fashion these days. Of course, it would have to look like 1930's Modernism, where all the buildings were designed by Hugh Ferriss.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusboy
But seriously-as a kid I thought the The Starlost was amazingly kewl. But its dated by today's standards. If they could make a film out of it without making it too dumb.

I think that was after 1970, but that's a great idea. I wouldn't say I "loved" the show as a kid, but it was intriguing. It's exactly the kind of thing that could work as a remake: Good high-concept idea, terribly cheesy execution. I've though before that it would make a great serialized tv show.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #10
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob
What SciFi movies would you like to see redone which were made before 1970? I am talking good dialog and CGI.

I would like to see Forbidden Planet and Metropolis redone. Forbidden Planet seems to be an on and off project, more off than on. :-(
metropolis was sort of already re-done:

And it was awesome

Old 09-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
Darkherow
Expert
portfolio
W Lee
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrunkendesigner
In my mind, I say enough of remakes, reboots, sequels and prequels. I think it's time to be brave and start making original films again.

But aren't nearly all films are adaptions from books.

I know what you meant, however I don't see it happening because the film studios have this idea, of how previous films being successful and by making a remake/reboot/prequel/sequel will get the same. Unfortunately it's all about money and doing the same thing is their formula.

Is there still originality since most ideas will in some way be similar to something that's already been done.

The 1970's and before is sort of before my generation but I do recall some films from them periods. The films I recall are the one's being or been remade any ways like planet of the apes, star trek, superman, mad max and godzilla.

I also agree that I don't really want another retelling with a twist in any shape or form. There are two films that I would like to see how someone new can tackle it out of curiosity but would probably be near impossible to live up to the original, Alien and Star Wars. Yet again I can see how meshed up it will be.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkherow

I know what you meant, however I don't see it happening because the film studios have this idea, of how previous films being successful and by making a remake/reboot/prequel/sequel will get the same. Unfortunately it's all about money and doing the same thing is their formula.

We shouldn't be arguing about the business of Hollywood and whether any of these suggestions are in any way realistic or likely (which is exemplified so well by your suggestion to remake Star Wars...????). The reality is that remakes/reboots happen because of two things: Title or franchise recognition and ownership of rights to the property. It's silly to try to argue the actual feasibility of such remakes since these are the only two things that matter to Hollywood. No one there says "Wouldn't it be cool to do a reboot of "Trog" because, you know, it would be cool!"

Old 09-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
I hnoestly think that the wonderful work work from the 30's - 60' ofter gets the short stick.

There is AMAZING fx work done before the 70's.

I would look the work of people like
Peter Ellenshaw
"Mary Poppins," "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," "Darby O'Gill and the Little People,"

and
Albert Whitlock
"The Birds"

Hell there were film from the 40-50 that had virtual sets (mostly done with Matte paintings)
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 09-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

I completely missed the obvious...

ZARDOZ!

Old 09-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #15
shrunkendesigner
Frequenter

portfolio
Lloyd Harvey
Freelance Concept Artist
Billericay, United Kingdom

Does anyone here know that Gremlins remake is on imdb? Set for 2014? I mean, I saw that and was like, "ok Hollywood, enough already."

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Thread Closed share thread