A Conversation on Motivation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
YEE-OUCH!

09 September 2013
In all seriousness, not sure if this offers any consolation, but I'm pretty sure that we all go through what you're going through, at some point. Being filled with doubt and whatnot is part of being a normal, functional human being (and frankly, it's better to be filled with doubt that false confidence), and finding the discipline to focus on what needs to be done is hard. I know exactly what you're saying when you talk about how you know you need to be doing this stuff, and you're really amped about it, but you still procrastinate - I do that all the time too. I infuriate myself sometimes with my procrastination, and then, when I finally throw myself into the task I've been avoiding, I always find myself enjoying it, and wondering why I procrastinated as long as I did. It's like this weird cycle that you end up in, and it's hard to break out of it. People talk about motivation like it's this really easy thing to just manifest out of thin air, but that's bollocks - motivating yourself can be really, really hard work. And when you've kinda slumped into a cycle of procrastination and goofing off, it's even harder to get back into anything productive.

I don't really know what I can offer in terms of advice, because I'm not really sure that I have any helpful answers, other than to assure you that you're not the only one who struggles with this stuff. Hang in there.

09 September 2013
Knowing that I'm not alone is plenty of assurance in of itself. It helps remind us that we're all human, and it can take a while if ever to get to some kind of robotic level of output.

I like to go by the habit system that for you to do any small thing, like say, clean a room or wake up an hour early, you can't just do it once and expect it to be easy to do. You have to do it for at least 3 weeks for something to become habit forming and I take that to heart.

I've had a really productive week but I'm starting to sleep up in the last few hours and am getting slightly distracted, if only to post here while i'm working

I'm forming some good habits like multiple to do lists (one with weekly goals, the others more various or shopping) for my daily life as well as a bit of a journal for my current animation and art goals. Good news is there is still plenty of support for that art course I took, so I'm pumped to work and improve, then perhaps after I'll work on more writing and comic goals with smaller illustration projects. Blocking out animation has not been too hard either, it seems I retained some principle knowledge and my 3 week goal to finish this exercise to some critiques seems really doable.

P.S. I think I'm catching a cold

09 September 2013
Wink

Just to praise/rat myself out: I conquored the cold in me, but am behind a week in work.
But some short term goals are around the corner and I did update the CG Workshop on my progress. It just seems like I need to finalized my animation, move on to more exercises in art and to try an hit that 3-weeks-in-a-row goal. PS, got an interview this week, so we'll see how that affects me!

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread