IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Monthly-009: -September 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by Frotze: From that point on, it was really just a matter of posting every week and trying to have interesting updates, hoping that these people would like or share with their own friends. Thomas' comics were a very good way to keep people coming. We started by just posting on facebook everytime we had an update to let people know, and at some point, I started creating threads on various forums like here and cghub, 3dvf, cfsl, to try to reach new people. It really was a long process.

This guy. This guys gets it in my opinion.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

09 September 2013
Quote: You know what, for $5 I'm going to try it out. No... not the pole dancers... I mean the advertising! Okay, maybe the pole dancer too. Have you found that the people who have started to follow as a result of these services actually engage in your content?

edit: Alright, signed up for two different advertising options. I'll be sure to watch my Google Analytics & Facebook Page stats over the next few weeks and report my findings. I'm sure a lot of the traffic is not targeted, but numbers would definitely help give a positive impression when people who are interested visit.

Depending on who you get. Some of them are not targeted but it helps in your google search ranking. Making it easier for people to find your site.

It is 5 bucks what the hey! Some work better than others as well.

09 September 2013
CONCEPT NAME : Pole Force One
PRODUCTION BLOG : www.combomash.com/category/production-blog/
CATEGORY : Video Game (OUYA, PC, MAC, Linux)

PROJECT DESCRIPTION :

In this tongue-in-cheek, co-op, beat 'em up game, you play as one of three sexy super-hero strippers as they travel the world fighting against injustices such as sex-slavery, violent drug lords, religious extremists, corrupt governments and greedy corporations. Along with the help of their trusty DJ and his robotic creations, you'll be thrown into a wacky adventure reminiscent of many classics - such as Double Dragon, Streets of Rage and Battletoads - but with modern polish and gameplay.

STATUS NUMBER : 5
TEAM MEMBERS : 4

Chris Taylor - Concept Art
Kris Hammes - 3D Character Artist
Power Up Audio - Music & SFX
Grant Moore - Everything Else

NEXT MILESTONE : Kickstarter Campaign Launch, November 4th 2013

WHAT WENT RIGHT THIS WEEK

This past little while has been full of success! First, I realized that given the amount of work required to hit the November 4th deadline, I needed to off-load something to another artist. After trying to make a 3D sculpt of Kiko I realized that while I have the skills, I'm just way too slow and need to focus my efforts on programming and providing direction for the project.

I ended up finding a 3D character artist - Kris Hammes - whose portfolio matched the style we were going for. He was very interested to be a part of the project and thankfully is in the price range that I can afford, so he's helping to make Kiko right now, with plans for us to provide him with a more substantial contract after the Kickstarter (assuming it goes well).

Additionally, I was talking to the fine folks at Power Up Audio here in Vancouver and they offered to help create the audio for my Kickstarter pitch trailer for free so long as I agreed to give them a service contract and/or revenue sharing options after the Kickstarter.

I'm so happy to have these people on board, because it will really help my campaign go from just two guys working to a small team with various credible portfolios to back it up. It's definitely the help that I needed to have a fighting chance.

WHAT WENT WRONG THIS WEEK

Burn out! Who would have thought working day and night on a project you are passionate about would lead to the same burn-out as you get from work? But, that's what happened to me yesterday, woke up feeling like shit, went for a bike ride, came home and napped almost all day. Everyone on this thread, don't forget to take rests, eat well and exercise. I get so excited about my projects that sometimes I forget to take care of my body, lesson learned.

SHOW AND TELL

Face Reward

http://www.di-o-matic.com/products/.../#page=overview

On my Kickstarter, I'm offering a tier where someone can have their face inserted as an enemy character. However, I didn't want to waste too much time doing this so I looked into an application which can generate a mesh for me. It does an okay job and would at least get me half of the way there, requiring small tweaks and a paint-over.

WIP Sculpt of Kiko

Kris managed to whip up a quick WIP of Kiko after a couple of days work, he'll be on vacation for a week, but just this small update makes me confident that I've picked the right guy.

Power Up Mode - Concept

Additionally, my concept artist and I were struggling to come up with a design for what the girls will look like when in "super power mode". The original idea was for them to strip, but despite them being strippers that just didn't feel right... we wanted a less sexualized solution that still maintained the goofy spirit of them being erotic dancers.

What we came up with, at least for Kiko, was that the top layers of her clothes would come off, but then her tattoos would expand and new ones would appear. Basically we wanted to go for a "body paint" kind of look, where even though she's exposed, she turns into more of a canvas for beautiful art, which really reflects her inner personality of being a colourful, expressive, individual. This is just a REALLY rough sketch of the idea... we might even try to have the texture animated for even more fun.

09 September 2013
I think the whole body paint thing idea is cool.

Do it!

In other news...HOLY CRAP MAN!!

Le Gouffre - Animated Short Film- 14k! Wow! Congrats you guys! Beautiful looking work!

Wow! Congrats. I'm so happy for you.

I wish I had a small team or the talent you guys have. I'm so jealous.
I almost feel like giving up. It has just been so frustrating trying to get this thing off the ground.

For years I have struggled. Money has always been an issue.

I find an artist, he is able to only do a few character sheets and then gets a job, is unable to finish all character sheets and now I'm stuck with a certain style that no one else can match, find another artist whose style works but same thing happens.

I'll find a modeler, they are able to do one model, get a job and leave me with one great model but no other characters to work with. Others are great but don't get the character right and I can't use it but since I ain't paying them much ( alot to me because I'm a poor person) they cannot correct then I end up broker and again with half a model or an unusable one. If only I could model. My stuff looks like crap.
That is why I need the modeler.

Just been discouraging. Then I have to ditch the project and find simpler projects with less characters but end up in the same boat. The kickstarter will fix that hopefully. Get modeler is my next goal. Trying to save a couple of thousand of my own money but that would take years.

My worst mistake ever was buying a mocap system. I used the money on that instead of models. I thought folks would want to collab and trade services but honestly not a lot of people doing their own IP so no one to trade with. :( But something is keeping me going.

Does anyone else have issues? And what?

Also here is my very first animation ever
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/37312

And some older tests
One of my first renders

Last edited by banman7 : 09 September 2013 at 05:00 AM.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by banman7: In other news...HOLY CRAP MAN!!

Le Gouffre - Animated Short Film- 14k! Wow! Congrats you guys! Beautiful looking work!

Wow! Congrats. I'm so happy for you.

I wish I had a small team or the talent you guys have. I'm so jealous.
I almost feel like giving up. It has just been so frustrating trying to get this thing off the ground.

Hey banman, thanks man! We're so glad the campaign has kicked off this well.

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time getting your projects off the ground. It's really difficult to count on others when they are not as passionate as you. Maybe try to focus your efforts on the things you're best at? If you struggle finding good artists but are good at imagining stories, why don't you try writing your stories as novels first? Once you become successful, I'm sure people will come by the dozen to help you bring it to the next level.

Last edited by Frotze : 09 September 2013 at 11:51 PM.

09 September 2013
Congrats to team Le Gouffre
on a sucessful kick starter campaign.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ated-short-film
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

09 September 2013
Quote: why don't you try writing you're stories as novels first? Once you become successful, I'm sure people will come by the dozen to help you bring it to the next level.

Thanks for the suggestion but then it comes down to the art thing. I don't like writing novels. I'd rather not make anything than write novels by themselves.

I think I will find my artist and maybe already have. Keep your fingers crossed. This one seems very promising.

I'm still so happy for you guys getting your funds. Your work is looking beautiful.

09 September 2013
Ok heres my report.

I've tried out fiverr and facebook ads. The verdict?

Both work.

I went with a modest number of likes on fiverr (50) first. The likes were delivered and it was all good. The likes seem to be from people who are actually into the content.

I waited a day and then started the facebook ads with the $50 credit. After about 6 hours I started to see even more likes.

Im currently over 100 likes from just 9 on Wednesday.

So bottom line, fiverr for that initial burst and then facebook ads (with a small budget) to build and grow

09 September 2013
Quote: I waited a day and then started the facebook ads with the $50 credit. After about 6 hours I started to see even more likes.

Awesome! That makes me happy. I'm glad fiverr is working for you. The more the merrier. I'm glad I can be of service.

Good deal.

Oh and thanks Roberto for the spotilight. That is really awesome!

This post by dolemite07 may contain offensive material. Click here to view it.

09 September 2013
Quote: As far as your situation, i think it may be worth it to take a couple of months to learn makehuman, sculptris and blender (all free) and create your characters yourself.

Oh I know them really well minus MakeHuman which looks interesting. I'll look into this for the more generic human characters. I just reached the peak of my actual ability in the modeling area. I'm okay but not where I want them to be. I can use a ton of stock character stuff and kit bash and morph alot of the Human characters but for the more Kaiju style characters I'll need a little more expertise.

But I have found an artist and I think this one is going to work. I may have some cool stuff to show this week.

I'm so excited.

IF all goes to speed episode 1 will be January 2014, followed by episode 2.
1 per month.

Last edited by banman7 : 09 September 2013 at 04:32 PM.

09 September 2013
This might be of interest to you guys:

Cartoon Brew: “Dick Figures: The Movie” Attempts Unique Distribution Model
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-...odel-88535.html

09 September 2013
I feel a sudden urge to rip the audio from that trailer and replace the stick figures with the cast from Grand Theft Auto V.

:P

09 September 2013
I have been away for a while, but I hope to post a formal update very soon. Nice to see the new people in the IP Club and the progress on the cool projects. (Congrats Frotze on the KickStarter - your guys' work is looking amazing)

I just wanted to stop in real quick, as this is where our game started, and let everyone know that our game, Blaster X HD is going on a Limted Time Sale, that started today and will run through the 23rd, to celebrate my BDay on Monday and also our new update that came out today - as a way to say "Thank You" to all of our supporters.

* I also started a Facebook marketing Ad campaign. I will definitely let everyone know how the sale went and the results of new marketing push. At the very least, it is something to learn from

Blaster X HD

Thank Guys,
Rudy
2GMG on Twitter

09 September 2013
This might of interest to the group:

http://kotaku.com/famous-kickstarte...aste-1352054852

Thread Closed share thread