IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Monthly-009: -September 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: @shrunkendesigner - No worries, I think I might have been just having an off day and wasn't in proper frame of mind to express my arguments positively through supportive language.

I guess for myself, it comes to the fact that I personally cannot stand working for someone else in any capacity. It's just soul sucking and feels utterly pointless, it's not something I've ever been happy doing and only do it when there is no other option. However, any time I have freelanced, or started a new business or pursued my own means of earning money in an independent fashion, I am incredibly energized and passionate. It's a part of who I am to pursue these projects in a way which will yield a decent living wage and that itself is a form of creativity. The passion I have is equal to the passion you have, the only difference is that we're on opposite ends of this particular discussion. Perhaps we both need to be less black-and-white? There's lots to learn from our varying perspectives!

I guess I need to stop being so preachy and god damned verbose.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

09 September 2013
In other news I wanted to share some more of my projects work and a little back story to some of the characters

Our main villain is named Milton. He has learned through some unknown force that his world is simply a creation of our reality. The unknown force sparks a change in Milton that leads him on a course to break into our world but first he must accomplish a set of tasks all of which include him going from dimension to dimension in search of certain items and things.

We will see him in parody versions of dimensions.

One day I had an idea of just how scary would Freddy be for example if he was in the Marvel Universe. Can you imagine Freddy fighting Wolverine? Or what would happen if someone legally killed the Joker? Like self defense. Would Batman be mad at that person.

I'm just having fun playing out all scenarios in a parody way since Milton will be traveling through dimensions running into "somewhat" familiar parody versions of characters we love.

But hot on his tail are Calle, Snailo and Joe.

You see all 3 in the picture above.

Does anyone know of any cool websites where this might spark some interest?

09 September 2013
Interesting talk about the money-making aspect of personal IPs! I'd like to give my two cents.

Personally, I think it's a very humble intent to want to create just for the sake of doing something beautiful. If I had to think about making my money back with this short, I simply never would have started it. That said, it's really a one time thing and I won't be able to afford doing this ever again. I'll definitely be thinking more about the commercial side of things for my next projects.

Bottom line is, we're all trying to make a living, so that's all right to think about monetizing what we do. But I still think it's a lot easier to build a fan base if you don't look like someone who's in for the money and is rather there because he's passionate about his work.

On this note... here my update for this week!

CONCEPT NAME: Le Gouffre

PRODUCTION BLOG: http://legouffre.com/en

CATEGORY: Animation

PROJECT DESCRIPTION:

Le Gouffre is an 8-minute animated short film about two travellers who embark on the amazing journey of crossing an impossible gap. We are working full-time on this film, living on our own money, and we are basically trying to tell a great, dramatic story for everyone while creating a unique look that blends hand-painted textures with realistic animation.

PROJECT GOALS:

Win festivals, then make a big hit on the internet and gain the visibility and credibility that will allow us to eventually be able to live on telling our own stories.

STATUS NUMBER: 10

TEAM MEMBERS: 3

Carl Beauchemin - Animation and Rigging
Thomas Chrétien - FX and Compositing
David Forest - Animation and Art Direction

START DATE: July 2011

ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE: December 2013

WIP THREAD: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=153&t=1085457

WHAT WENT RIGHT THIS WEEK:

Ok I don't know if I'm allowed to post this as it's usually against the rules to advertise Kickstarter campaigns, but since we're in the IP thread...

We just launched our first teaser for Le Gouffre, as well as a Kickstarter page to help us pay for the music and sounds of the film. Here's the link, we almost made our goal and we just posted this at 11am!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ated-short-film

SHOW AND TELL:

We also uploaded an HD version of the teaser on our Vimeo account if you want to see!

https://vimeo.com/74127187

09 September 2013
Frotze,

The teaser looks absolutely beautiful. You guys are doing something special here. And whoa, your kickstarter is blasting off We are a team of 2 guys working thousands of miles away from each other. So it's good to see you guys working under one roof. Congrats to all 3 of you. Hope you get the music done soon now.

09 September 2013
@Frotze - Great job on the Kickstarter campaign, I can see you did your homework and prepared a fantastic breakdown. The comics explaining the rewards were really funny too. You've almost hit your goal after one day too, not bad!

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by redCigarette: Frotze,

The teaser looks absolutely beautiful. You guys are doing something special here. And whoa, your kickstarter is blasting off We are a team of 2 guys working thousands of miles away from each other. So it's good to see you guys working under one roof. Congrats to all 3 of you. Hope you get the music done soon now.

Thanks! It sure helps to be working side by side, but I'm sure you'll manage if you're both passionate about what you do. Good luck with your project, it's already showing a lot of promise!

Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: @Frotze - Great job on the Kickstarter campaign, I can see you did your homework and prepared a fantastic breakdown. The comics explaining the rewards were really funny too. You've almost hit your goal after one day too, not bad!

Thanks for the kind words (and for the pledge )! It sure was a lot of work, but being three people helped to reduce the charge on everyone. Thomas could take care of comics while I was writing the texts. By the way, when do you plan on releasing your own campaign?

Last edited by Frotze : 09 September 2013 at 09:43 PM.

09 September 2013
Wow, my quote got all messed up in your message... make it look like I said kinder words than I actually did...I'll take it!

I saw you just sent out an update, congratulations of hitting your goal already! I'm planning to launch November 4th... so I've got a couple months to put together an awesome prototype. The next few updates should start to be a little more interesting.

09 September 2013
Quote: We just launched our first teaser for Le Gouffre, as well as a Kickstarter page to help us pay for the music and sounds of the film. Here's the link, we almost made our goal and we just posted this at 11am!

Okay guys can you tell us about your success in getting the funding? You did this after only one day!

I know you have a great looking movie but there are a lot of projects that look good.

Can you share some of your tips on getting the money you did?

I'm going to be launching my kickstarter and need 5k myself. What is your secret? Where did you get the support? Where did you post your project? How did you build the audience you needed?

Please share.

And congrats!

Quote: Ok I don't know if I'm allowed to post this as it's usually against the rules to advertise Kickstarter campaigns, but since we're in the IP thread...

It would be a shame if you couldn't. I mean of all places not to get support.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by Frotze:
CONCEPT NAME: Le Gouffre

STATUS NUMBER: 10

TEAM MEMBERS: 3

https://vimeo.com/74127187

Well done guys. It looks great and I can see all the hard work that has been put into it. The graphics are really beautiful and the animation is fluid. I hope you guys get this into the major film festivals (and more) and I hope it leads you onto something bigger!

Nice one.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

09 September 2013
Congratulations on the Kickstarter campaign.

Question.. Doesn't Kickstarter require you to have an American resident with which to transact the money?

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by banman7: In other news I wanted to share some more of my projects work and a little back story to some of the characters

This is the "I Love Kaiju" project right? You need more images like this.. The clip you had of the girl talking should have had this image (and others like it) with her as voice over only.

You need more images like this.... I cannot say it enough times.

09 September 2013
Yup it is the I love Kaiju project.

I hope to get more and more pics like this to share with folks. I hope you like the pictures. I just can't wait to start getting things going strong.

The girl was just part of the video. I have a little larger outline under 3 minutes though.

I hope you like it.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Congratulations on the Kickstarter campaign.

Question.. Doesn't Kickstarter require you to have an American resident with which to transact the money?

Kickstarter recently opened up to Canadians. I believe you can run a campaign from the US, UK, Canada and I've heard rumors that Australia / New Zealand are next.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: Kickstarter recently opened up to Canadians. I believe you can run a campaign from the US, UK, Canada and I've heard rumors that Australia / New Zealand are next.

I am "None of the Above"... Answers my question though.

Thanks.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by banman7: Okay guys can you tell us about your success in getting the funding? You did this after only one day!

I know you have a great looking movie but there are a lot of projects that look good.

Can you share some of your tips on getting the money you did?

I'm going to be launching my kickstarter and need 5k myself. What is your secret? Where did you get the support? Where did you post your project? How did you build the audience you needed?

I think most of the game was played out long before we launched the campaign. We've been slowly building the fan base since January 2012 with the production blog, so at this point, a lot of them were already very eager to finally be able to help. We mass emailed everyone we knew at the same time, and posted the news on Facebook, which then was shared by an enormous amount of people because they already knew us and believed in us. We also wrote to many blog and website to see if they would be willing to write articles about us, but we're still waiting for answers.

I need to add that on top of familly members and friends, we also knew a lot of people from many animation studios around Montreal, who helped spread the word into their company. I heard our page appeared on the newsfeed at Ubisoft.

Thread Closed share thread